1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Holdout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 7, 2021.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My man you making solid points as well so let me just resond by if s good OC and a good QB knows you weak at DB they will exploit it by max protection and chipping and rolling the pocket,on the flip side if the CB'S can't stay ingaged for at least 2.5 seconds it's small ball all day with the double move here and there .. So I do agree to a point they do work together , but only after you can cover the small ball stuff.. This takes great CB play so when Haden is right we right if he hurt or not playing we in trouble.. I want another young Haden and to get Edmunds out from deep he cost us a bunch on long developing or extended plays..

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Pay
    The
    Man

1. TJ is arguably the best edge defender in the league, and has been consistently great - no ups and downs like many guys
    2. It’s not only his pass rush. TJ also led the league in tackles for loss last season. He impacts against both the pass and run.
    3. He will set the market now, and then in 2 years there will be 3 or 4 more highly paid edge guys, and unlike most guys TJ will probably just play out his contract as the best edge defender being paid like the 4th or 5th best.
    4. You never have to worry about off-the-field distractions with TJ. He’ll be a great player, and a face of the franchise that we can be proud of.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    My only gripe with Watt is that he disappears in the post-season. Heyward does the same. Watt gets a pass for '17 post season vs. Jags since he was a rookie. He was very disappointing vs. Browns playoff game when the team needed a spark on D.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I was responding to the posters who seem to think he isn't worth the money being suggested and that the Steelers would be better off letting him walk. I am fully confident that the Steelers themselves do not feel this way and are going to get a contract with TJ done soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Good coverage can give the pass rush more time. Granted. But if you look back at the stats from last season, our pass rush was near the top of the league at time getting pressure. I can't remember the name of the metric, but the time it takes to create pressure is not a factor of coverage.

And at some point, you need to line up and beat the man across from you, straight up, no smoke and mirrors. For the DL, the smoke and mirrors isn't as nuanced as the offense. You can stunt your LB's or bring a corner off the edge. You can fake pressure and drop into coverage. All quality methods to create confusion and possibly gain an edge over the offense. But I don't think smoke and mirrors can, or should, be used to describe our pass rush. We aren't nearly as successful because we're tricking offenses as we are at just being better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I don’t think he’s worth 30/year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    He's worth what NFL teams are wiling to pay him. He would get that if he were a free agent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They schemed him out of the game to be fair to TJ, continually running to the other side with Dupree and Highsmith missing, and then using the quick strike passing offence to negate the pass rush. There was no way Baker was holding on to the ball after they got that fluke of a start. They were able to keep the steelers guessing for the rest of the game and they played it well.

TJ and Cam didn’t do anything in the game but there are valid reasons why. They needed a stop from the defence in that first quarter on at least one of those short fields and they couldn’t get one which was disappointing but overall I don’t think that defeat was on the D

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I disagree. That defeat was on the whole Dang team. Top Defense my a$$. Top Defense would have at least held them 2 a freaking field goal ....at least once.
    You know how I know, because I've seen us with a real top Defense before.
    Even after the abysmal start there were many chances 2 get back into it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Sign him quick before somebody somewhere else on defense gets a mega contract and we have to pay him even more!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Does that mean that Lev Bell was worth what the Jets paid him?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner.
    Like I said I'm on the fence about this, but it seems if He truly wants 2 be here, and we truly want him they should be able 2 come 2 a mutual agreement....without killing the team.
    J.J. was killing it, and got what he could. What that get him??? Stats, and playing for another team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Texans have always been that snake bit team. Not an abysmal failure and constant mistake like Cleveland but one that gets almost all the right pieces and then something derails their season. Hopkins wanted out and the offense sputtered without him. Watson looks like the next big thing and off the field issues leave him in limbo. Watt does the utmost he could for the franchise and the city and they unfortunately have to release him because they don't have the money. I swear it's like the goat curse.

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    at the time they signed him, the Jets thought so.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Yet he can't impress the voters enough to win DPOY :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He was 2nd best.

17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    A **** team probably. He’s going to have to decide between max money on a **** team or slightly less on a competitive team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    The Steelers have to pay him. If they don't it's a huge mistake

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    TJ is unfortunately playing in the same era as possibly the best defensive player of all time who is ironically from Pittsburgh.

He should have won it in 2019 however, but the media just wanted Gilmore for whatever reason

20. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    We'll see. It'd be great if he takes a discount but I suspect he sets the new defensive per year average.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I personally am very happy that HOF Pass Rushers grow on trees!!

Anyone know when the next sale of them is?!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I’m not saying he is necessarily going to take a discount. I predict his per year will not be a record but his guaranteed money for a defensive player might. Taking less doesn’t always mean discount.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

This guy tends to be wrong a lot

24. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    No way that happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    We'd better hope he's wrong this time, I don't see that happening.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021