1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This has to be a record.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 6, 2021.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tell me what other team has ever given up a 98 yard drive and a 99 yard drive in the same season?

And they claim Tomlin is a defensive coach.:zombie:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sadly it's a side effect of the doing what we do attitude. You stop them on 1st down for a 2 yard gain, you get a sack for a loss of 7 and on 3 an 13-14 the analytics and averages say cover the deep route/kill shot plays, have soft zone underneath, keep the play in front of you, tackle and keep them from the first down. Only problem is Andrews is a grown ass man that takes these tiny DBs an throws them aside and gets the first down.

Roman has a great system to maximize Jackson's strengths and force mismatches. Unfortunately Butler and Tomlin are over matched and getting beat. How many times did the Ravens go run heavy sets with 3 TE's 1 Wr? Steelers countered by having more guys near the box but still covering non existent receivers. Jackson's first read is always Andrews why waste manpower by double covering Brown.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We get it Tomlin sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The issue is being more physical on both sides of the ball. To much finesse. Finally we got a glimpse of the Steelers as a unit playing physical on both sides of the ball in that 4th quarter against the crows where they did it to the Steelers for 3 quarters. Hopefully this physicality edge carries on going forward so we don't see those types of drives.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I know this whole thread is meant to be a Tomlin Bi..chfest, but the Cleveland Browns (you know them, every years' "team to beat", DPOY Miles Garrett, etc...) this year, have given up drives of 99, 95, and 92 yards.
    Did I say this year? It was actually 4 weeks ago, against the Patriots.

Just to add: The Patriots also had an 83 yard td drive that game, and the 95 yard drive was by their back up QB.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

He doesn't totally suck but these things become so predictable. The 98 yard drive a couple weeks ago I told my son here comes a TD. After the incredible punt that went out at the 1 yard line, I told him again they will probably give up a TD. Sure enough, opposing team marches right down the field for a 10:27 TD drive.

8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It doesn't have to be a blame Tomlin, Tomlin sucks type thread it can be an honest discussion about that drive and others. There were several times in that drive that the numbers favored the defense and stopping the drive but there were definitely times where facing a very mobile QB is what kept the drive going as well as mismatches in the personnel.

1st play Butler goes with the averages. Experience says pinned in their own end at the 1 the Ravens will run it to get more room and Jackson out of the endzone when passing. They played the run and Andrews slides out to get an 8 to 9 yard gain. Several plays later from an obvious run set, their FB chips and releases into the middle zone the first and only time all day and he gets almost 1st down yardage.

The nearly game winning 2pt conversion Minkah who I love everything about ,blew his assignment because he was so worried about Jackson running he thought that was the play. These are all coaching fixes or head to head moments between the two where the Ravens called a better play.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    It was started off as a Bi..chfest. No coach in the history of man has ever given up 99 and 98 yard drives in the same season. The "and they say Tomlin is a defensive coach" was a dead giveaway. I merely pointed out that it happens all the time.

You're correct. It can be an honest discussion about the drive and what went wrong (and right). But that was not the intent of it. It's like the thread on the two point conversion, where it took the second or third comment before someone said "Bush blew his assignment", which was followed shortly thereafter with a "Terrell Edmunds blew his asignment". As you stated, it was Minkah who blew his assignment. But they got a chance to blame their favorite whipping boy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My Favorite whipping boy is T. Edmunds. LoL :beathorse:

11. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    There are a lot of bruised deceased ponies:this!: in this forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    The Eagles just gave up 2 90+ (92, 97) yard drives in one game to the 49ers 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what miracle worker you think Tomlin is with the 19th ranked defense, but the bigger question is how many teams do you think havent given up 90+ multiple yard drives??? You can pick up 50 yards alone on a PI penalty.

If you really must know how good of a defensive coach he is I did you the favor of going through the defensive rankings since he's been here. The rankings say he's pretty good for the most part barring injuries and medically excused absenses. Im not sure how much more you can nitpick but I'm sure you'll find some excuse.

Team Defense Ranking- Source: Pro Football Reference. Points allowed ranking in ().

2007 - #1(2)
    2008 - #1 (1)
    2009 - #5 (13)
    2010 - #2 (1)
    2011 - #1 (1)
    2012 - #1 (6)
    2013 - #13 (14)
    2014- #18 (18)
    2015 - #12 (11)
    2016 - #12 (10)
    2017 - #5 (7)
    2018 - #6 (17)
    2019 - #5 (6)
    2020 - #3 (3)
    2021 (Currently) - #19 (19)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That is one of my biggest pet peeves the communication between defensive backs and Ilb's. What Minkah did isn't a killer but if you are going rogue you need to signal someone and hand off your responsibility.

One of the things I noticed later in the night game between Broncos and Chiefs was the the CB and safety responsible for defending Hill did so every down. They didn't care if Kelce was the target, if Mahomes took off running, if CSH took the hand off. The stayed on their man and trusted everyone to do their job. It helped that Hill was having an off night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Doesn't matter if you start at the 1 or 2, or the 25 or 30

Get off the field when its 3rd and 7, 3rd and 8, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12 3rd and 13, 3rd and 15.

I have never seen a season where so many 3rd and longs are converted by the other team.

Steelers had the Ravens at 1 yard line Weatherspoon tries to tackle a dang big Fullback on a swing pass in the flat, should of been 2-3 yard gain if he tackles and his legs and wraps, but no, the Full back turns it into 1st down for 10 yards, puts Ravens at the 11, out of the extreme danger zone.

They then get it to a 3rd and 7 at Ravens 21 yard line. They pressure Jackson can't tackle him he passes to Andrews at line of Scrimmage, Andrews was originally pass protection but he comes out, Jackson gets him ball he makes 8 yards converts 1st down.

Missed chance # 1

Steelers have Ravens 2nd and 15 at Ravens 31 yard Line Jackson throws a pass to the right flat to Freeman for about 7-8 yards would of made it 3rd and 7 or maybe 8. TJ Watt gets flagged for taunting 15 yard penalty. Seemed minor but none the less it was flagged for 15. Converts a what would be a 3rd down and 7 or 8 to a first down.

Missed chance #2

Ravens have ball at Steelers 46 yard line its 3rd and 10 Steelers give decent pressure at Jackson, he extends play finds Andrews for 9 yards he is some what stopped as Steelers gang tackle they plow him forward for a 1st down.

Missed Chance #3

3rd and 6 and Steelers 36 yard line. Maybe they can get off here and its just a Tucker FG. Nope Andrews comes up down the seam between linebackers and safety completes a 33 yard pass to Andrews.

Missed Chance #4

So the players had a lot of chances on this drive to stop it early and didn't put that on players and not coaching in that regard. Someone has to make a play, and then also don't commit penalties to benefit them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    What pisses me off the most is I never saw Tomlin out there making plays.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Hasn't made a decent play since he tripped up the returner from the Ravens.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Even Cowher would come on the field from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Popcorn just stands on the sidelines looking like he's trying to choose between butter, extra butter, lots of salt or all of the above.

He's not hired to make plays but his job is to at least correct the mistakes being made right in front of him but the standard is the standard and that's his standard way of doing things.

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So, I'm to feel better because we are better than the Stains?
    That's a good thing because you'd be pissed off even more. No, he is on the sidelines with a headset on calling the plays. The other coaches, what do you think they are doing with all that tech strapped to their heads? Discussing where they're going to have beers after the game? Could they be making decisions that should be putting players in positions to stop the next play? Do you think they call every play on every down correctly? The defense called to stop a pass, but the other team runs it for a 1st down or a TD, is that the players fault even though they may have been where they were supposed to be on that defensive call, or maybe a coach was just out coached? Think of players as airline pilots and the coaches as Air Traffic Controllers. Does ATC have any impact on the pilots? I think we can all agree that they most certainly do. JMO>

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So this really is just a bash Tomlin thread in disguise?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I didn't know I was disguising it. My second sentence was kinda blatant don't ya think? I'll go stand in the corner though for being mean.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol. Tomlin sucks

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Very nice break down. I freaking accidentally erase the dang game. So I've only seen it live. Only game this Year I've only watched once.
    Again Great post.:thumbs_up:

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess you missed the changes they made in the Ravens game, they won with a new NT, and they blitzed Lamar often and got 7 sacks the most ever against him :shrug:.

• Like Like x 2
  25. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    He's too dimwitted to understand there's professionals on the other side of the ball. He's another guy on here that throws stuff out there and hopes it sticks. It took two of us within like 5 minutes of reading his post to destroy his entire argument. Certified Lame imo.

• Agree Agree x 1