1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

They're saying Tomlin is most overrated coach possible ever. Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 21, 2021.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    While we like to joke about SDOT, take a look at his original post. You're gonna tell me every single downfall year after year after year is all the fault of just the players?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No one said it's all the fault of the players. The coaches had their share of blame. As a result, the organization made some coaching changes.

When analyzing why the team loss it's clear the players didn't perform well enough on the field to win.

The team had 7 turnovers in the last two post season games. That's where the game was loss. Teams can over come 1 turnover. The more turnovers the greater % the team will lose.

Tomlin isn't perfect and never will be. He will continue to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. Be thankful that we don't have a head coaching problem yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s not really what he says. it’s the manner in which he says it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    what he says has a lot to do with it. You can’t forget his boycott the nfl. Or the Dan Snyder’s plane is in Pittsburgh the only possible reason is because they’re trading tomlin to the Redskins. The list of absurdities is endless.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    That's more of a you problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It appears birds of a feather...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Yeah, there are a lot of people on the board who argue with people, not the points they make.

Admitting you have a problem it is the first step to getting better. This is a big moment for you.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You seem to be paranoid

By the way, I only saw one ******* yesterday

9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Congrats on the new bathroom mirror.

10. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    We don’t have a head coaching problem yet :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And the repetition.

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn that took me way to long to get the joke.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Remember a Sunday night game a few years ago when the Steelers had the lead but the Coaches had Bince covering Keenan Allen? Rivers threw to him EVERY play and the Steelers never changed it up, and they beat us...I remember

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What Brady said was something that was already known well before he was born. Thanks, Mr Obvious. Of course you have to execute to be successful, but execute what? Be nice to run the right play as well, no? Well executed QB sneak doesn't do well on 3rd and long. Nice to be running the right defense as well in a given situation. Execution by players is part of being successful. Putting those players in positions to be successful is just as much a part in having success as well. A team who does poorly during a season fires the coach for some reason even though he isn't on the field playing. JMO

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Winner

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well since a fair number of people are annoyed by it........

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't know where you work, but if I was a 13 year employee at a company and making first year employee mistakes, I would be canned. It's called career progression and Tomlin has shown little to none.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Well obviously it wasn't known to some posters here.

Execute what? When you figure out the answer to that question please let me know.

The Steelers haven't done poorly/had a losing season for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I agree with this. For people to suggest that Tomlin is blameless is patently absurd. He's the head coach for Christ sake. There's no ducking the fact that this team barely eked out three playoff wins the last 10 years. The only other HC that survived similar circumstances was Marvin Lewis. Having said that, blaming all that ails the team on the head coach is low hanging fruit. However, I wouldn't have extended him and I would have made it clear that he is fighting for his next extension.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I feel sorry for you if you would be canned because you simply made a mistake. What a terrible work environment. Coaches and people in life make mistakes regardless of their level of experience. I don't think people should be canned for a mistake but that's just me. I am glad my world isn't thought of in that extreme.

Fortunately, it's not that black and white in sports. So much success in sports is dependent on an organizational approach. Sometimes luck and health is involved. Coaching success typically hinges on how well players perform. Especially when it comes to HC and QB tandems throughout the history of the NFL. Sports are more cut throat than regular life. Tomlin would be gone if his bosses thought he was doing a terrible job.

Ben came up small in the last two playoff appearances. Maybe the organization should had fired Ben? There's just one problem. Franchise QB are difficult to find. Simply changing HC's wouldn't guarantee more playoff wins or Superbowl appearances. Especially when considering the HC we have continues to show the ability to keep this team competitive and lead this team to wins regardless of the adversity the team faces.

How do we define career progression outside of winning consistently in sports? Some fans are so overcome with disappointment today that they don't realize what they had until years later.

I will take the Steelers approach to winning consistently even if they lose in the post season. Simply because I realize how difficult it is to win in the regular season, post season, and Superbowl.

Maybe you would like the approach of losing several seasons in a row and then become competitive again?

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Well... it would get the Steelers a top 10, possibly top 5 pick for a franchise QB. 9-8 or 8-9 isn't going to get a blue chip QB.

I'm not rooting for them to lose, but a losing season would not be the end of the world. I've lived through several losing seasons.

22. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Losing seasons are not the end of the world. Just like losing in the post season isn't the end of the world.

No guarantees regardless of what ever happens. The Packers drafted Rodgers at 24. Seahawks drafted Wilson in the 3rd round. It can happen.

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Those QBs picked later than top 10 are few and far between. Odds are firmly against landing a quality franchise QB in the later rounds. Brady and Wilson are some of the few exceptions.

24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I understand what you are saying. Plenty of busts were picked in the 1st round though. Need a list?

That's why I said there are no guarantees. No guarantees in the draft. No guarantees with losing seasons. No guarantees with winning seasons. So I will enjoy the ride of winning seasons until the organization can build another Superbowl winner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers were fortunate the Browns were dumb enough to pick Winslow instead of Roethlisberger in '04. Ben was picked at 11, but was easily top 5 talent.