1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

They're saying Tomlin is most overrated coach possible ever. Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 21, 2021.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

It is apples to oranges. For one which you actually admit it’s a different sport. Football requires all 11 players to do their job on each play. Generally speaking when(like 99.9% of the time) when a player doesn’t do his job bad things happen. The loss to the Broncos is a perfect example. Mundy was supposed to fake a blitz and drop into coverage. If he had done his job Thomas is double covered. Taylor over top and Mundy underneath. I can see how that’s too complicated for you and why you choose to blame a coach.

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And hockey doesn't? Every sport requires all the players to do their jobs. In a non stop back and forth especially it's more crucial because one mistake can really screw you. You're acting as if each player touches the football.

The coach is the one who installs a system that the players follow. But to quote you I can see this is too complicated for you to understand.

Maybe see if the Rooney's are hiring because you would make the perfect yes man.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Talking to yourself again? :smiley1:

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This sounds dumber every time I hear it. But feel free to continue. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Hockey doesn’t have plays in the same way football does. No. They don’t each touch the football. However, each Amd every players action or lack there of has a direct affect on the outcome of the play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Moderator: :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2021
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Holy crap Dude. Little much no ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How do you really feel?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Again, we already have with him as head coach. Might have won another if not for the play of our qb. You should really be grateful for having watched your team win it all. It ain’t easy and their are fans out there that have never felt the joy of watching their team win a championship.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I respect that. We are really lucky to have the success we have year in and year out. But I think ownership needs to realize that and pull out all the stops to take advantage of what you have. They've wasted so many years by just sticking with the safe options. They should never have given Finchtner the keys to this offense for example. Go out and actually get decent coaches, pay some money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I feel bad for Najee Harris .. Popcorn is smitten with him... Remember the last time he was smitten with a good RB....

He ran his wheels off ( his words ) I believe he shortened Bells career by his stupidness...Had a good backup in Blount ( didn't play him ) then...Had an even better player, DeAngelo Williams...Who was leading the league in rushing, when Bell was suspended...When Bell came back..No more carries for Williams LMAO...Who does that! I'll tell you who, Popcorn...This Clown literally can't get out of his own way!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I know it ain't easy ( except for Brady lol ) I'm just not a fan of Tomlin, you are...You can have the last word, I'm out...Had an opinion, opposite of yours..And the name calling and **** talking came out...You win Strummer Boy!

13. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya I know ..****in people always start ****, call me names...Keep calling me names...And 5 posts later, when I get pissed.. I'm the bad Guy...Gotcha Glenn!

• Like Like x 2
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My comment above yours.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nah, Bell shortened his career with his stupidness.

You’re right about Tomlin not using committees though but I don’t necessarily have a problem with that. Run their wheels off and draft one high every 4 or 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    If that's the strategy ( seems kinds cutthroat ) but ya, why not...Rookie contract, cheap, run em into the ground, easiest position to replace ( supposedly ) wash, rinse, repeat

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I seriously doubt Tomlin is going to run Najee's wheels off as that philosophy went with Randy Fichtner. Matt Canada is not Randy by any stretch of the imagination. For that matter, Canada does not believe in a full time Running Back anyways. Furthermore, Kevin Colbert was in discussion with Mike Tomlin earlier this off season about the feature back approach and how it needs to evolve. Matt Canada seems to be the guy that can do it.

Canada believes in the RBBC (Running Back By Committee) approach. For that matter, no Running Back during Matt Canada's Coaching Tenure dating back to Wisconsin has had more than 53% of the total snaps. Granted, I would imagine Najee gets used more but not to the extent of 75% as a pure runner.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    With a HOF coach at that, preposterous. Ben would have 8, 9 SBs with a HOF coach. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Comparing coaching an NFL team to coaching an NHL team is not a fair comparison. An NFL coach can greatly influence a victory with how he prepares his team during the week. Yes, he can affect the outcome dynamically during the game, where an NHL coach is mostly dynamic. Changing up lines, putting different lines on the ice with different defensive pairings, match ups......much different kettle of fish.

As far as Dan Bylsma, he was a below average coach that inherited a Bentley. He caught lightning in a bottle when they fired Therrien and hired him. He did the right thing in that he changed the team from defense first to attack offensively at all costs. That strategy also worked in the regular season. However, Disco Dan would not change things up in the playoffs when another team dictated play. The debacle against the Flyers in, I think '13 was a good example. The Flyers wanted a street fight and Bylsma played right in to it. The year they scored three goals against the Bruins, he refused to abandon the stretch pass that Boston continually exploited instead of coaching the team to remain patient and dump and chase. The Pens kept him around probably three years longer than they should have. That, among other things ultimately lead to Ray Shero getting fired and Rutherford coming in as the new GM. He then made A mistake hiring Mike Johnston to coach a primarily offensive team to win 2-1 games. Sully came in and fixed all of that.

The one thing no one can deny is that Tomlins' teams never quit on him, they play hard to the end. My biggest complaint is that at times his teams seem to lack discipline, both on and off the field.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So you are stating they don’t pay for coaches. Back this up with proof. What do they pay? What are others paid? If they just paid more the coaches would line up for jobs? You made the statement. Back it it up with facts. Or is this just more BS?

• Like Like x 2
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Well the point I'm making is that why are we settling for aw shucks Keith Butler and Randy Finchtner? At least Canada is a start. Todd Haley at the time was a complete whackjob. If we are an elite franchise, then bring in some actual offense and defense gurus. That's what I meant by spend some $$$.

22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I don't know anything about settling for aw shucks. Plenty of offensive and defensive gurus failed to win in the NFL.

Ultimately, games boil down to the execution by the players. Unfortunately, the players failed the coaches in the last two playoff appearances. Can't turn the ball over and expect to win in the playoffs.

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    BTW, is this guy and Maddog78 sharing a brain or are they brothers from another mother? Asking for a friend.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Why was that game in OT in the first place? 12-4 team playing an 8-8 team with a RB playing QB. NE dismantled them the next week.

25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Nonsense, you play how you prepare and practice. If you don't like what you see on Sunday, it's because you coached it during the week.