1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

They're saying Tomlin is most overrated coach possible ever. Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 21, 2021.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I said Jags as in TEAM scores. Jags were 5th in the league in scoring as a TEAM.

They were the better team at scoring points and gave up less points than the Steelers in 2017. Those are statistical FACTS.

How ever you want to define the situation the Steelers were not a far superior team to the Jags. Can you understand and recognize this?

The Jags knew what they had in Bortles. Bortles didn't have to play great with the way that team was constructed. Ever QB is a game manager. Some QBs are better at managing the game than others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Correction, I win and Glemm loses. Being Tomlins cheerleader is the worst gig in sports. It's like being a Browns fan before last year playoffs which even Tomlin managed to screw up.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They had scored 10 pts each of the two previous weeks and scored 20 the week after putting up 45 on the Steelers.

That was an embarrassing loss any way you slice it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    What you fail to understand is that what happened in previous weeks vs other teams never mattered.

I am not embarrassed by what happens in professional sports. I realize that it's professional sports. I've been watching and paying attention long enough to realize that anything can happen. They are paid professionals.

The Steelers didn't quit and fought hard to get back into the game. Sorry I don't see that as an embarrassment.

The Steelers were not a superior team in relation to the Jags. The Jags proved it twice that they were the better team. Maybe you simply can't comprehend my points or you just have an agenda?

Oh yeah, your agenda is that you convinced yourself and want to convince others that it was an embarrassing loss regardless of the fact that the Jags were a very good team in 2017.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I know Glemm is in your head, but is he still riding that old motorcycle around in there?

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

upload_2021-6-9_18-40-32.gif

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    You make a great point. You hear commentators say that an opppnent has gotten into another's head when it seams like they're consistently getting the better of them. That's not the case, IMO. It's more of how the teams are built and how they match up, just like you said. And it takes seasons, personnel, and philosophy to change that.

BUT...that is the mark of good coaches when game-planning and preparation can compensate for unfavorable matchups. It can be done. Your coaching staff just has to be able to pull its collective head out of the sand and find ways around difficult situations. Unfortunately, we haven't had that for over a decade, and won't have it for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    No way that's Glemm. At best, it's his uncle who comes around a couple times a year and gives him noogies and purple nurples.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Vegas thought we were superior, does that count?

11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Vegas was wrong, apparently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    No. It's called gambling for a reason.

The proof is in the outcome of both games.

Not sure how anyone continues to believe in this superiority complex after watching years and years of football upsets around the league? It's strange how some people never learn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yep. The jagoffs team that got beat by the 5-11 Jets the week prior. The Steelers only had to get 1 defensive stop against Blake Bortles in the 2nd half and couldn't. Blake mother f@#%ing Bortles... are you kidding me?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and as I pointed out before what happened in previous games never mattered.

The Steelers defense stopped the Jags offense twice in the 2nd half. Check the facts.

The main issue were the turnovers by the Steelers. The early turnovers dug a hole that the Steelers couldn't overcome.

At the end of the day the Jags were the better team in 2017. They proved it. Accept it and move on.

15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    The Steelers cut the lead to 28-21 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd, the Jags marched 61 and 75 yards on two 4th quarter drives. If the D could have mustered the strength to stop the immortal Blake Bortles on those drives they had plenty of time to overcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    And if the offense didn't have 2 turnovers the complexion of the game could had been different.

If Shazier didn't get hurt. If the Jags didn't run the ball well.

If this if that.

Bortles didn't play a great game. He made a few plays with his arm and leg. Ultimately Bortles didn't hurt his team with turnovers.

Doesn't change the fact that the Jags played better as a team

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Yes, the 7-point road underdogs played better as a team than Mike Tomlin's band of overconfident, underprepared misfits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    This is sports. Upsets happen all the time.

I can give credit to the opposition without trashing my own team.

The Steelers mistakes cost them. When teams make mistakes and don't play well they ususally lose. That being said, the Steelers fought hard but came up short. I can recognize this and accept it.

Hey whatever makes you happy or should I say unhappy?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    And the Steelers never loose games to sub 500 teams?

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You hit the nail on the head. There’s some people around here that aren’t happy unless they’re unhappy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, the trend would suggest we all better recognize and start accepting early playoff exits in the playoffs then? Hard to imagine our fan base doing such a thing. Maybe we're spoiled but we are what we are.

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They do all the time. It's the one thing Tomlin is really good at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    You know what they say...Any Given Sunday...

...your underdog team might be fortunate enough to face Mike Tomlin's unfocussed, overconfident, rag-tag band of slapdicks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Well this trend is the trend for almost every team in the NFL. Most teams probably have worst trends than the Steelers.

Maybe you would be happier with a perennial loser? That would be wonderful for some around here.

There are no guarantees regardless of whatever happens.

Be appreciative of what you have because the Steelers could become unlucky and have a decade long losing streak.

So, I'll take the winning and competitive seasons until the Steelers can build another SuperBowl winner.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    That comment makes me unhappy. Thanks!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1