1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The time is past for #55

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bleednblackngold, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Again, who cares? That points to a flaw in their process.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Remember when we all thought the same thing about Dupree and then the light came on? Forget that. Bush just doesn't seem to have the same heart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    People just grasping at straws.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually thought Dupree did pretty well the little time He had, and especially working across from the Guys He was lining up with His first year, and He got better the next Year till His injury. What I'm trying 2 say Is I believe He actually got better a little bit every year. I was seeing the Same from Bush..until the injury....now He looks like a changed Man...So I'm hoping it's all mental, and He will snap out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Take your L, and move on, you can't win this argument :shrug:.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Who knew that Dupree had the heart? I guess it is possible that Bush turns things around. Maybe he really does need more time to make it back mentally and physically from the knee injury. It just doesn't seem likely right now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is difficult to win an argument with someone who is willing to abandon logic and reason the way you are, but I won a long time ago. That you lack the capacity to see your defeat is your problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And you still haven't answered my question about Leonard, because you have nothing.

9. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I'm now curious but what is the argument? Obviously something about Bush I would assume. Both of you are not letting this go so it has to be more than Tomlin sucks type stuff. lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now you are flat-out lying. I answered it. I rejected your flawed premise. Your argument boils down to claiming that Edmunds was the guy the Steelers wanted, so it was the right pick.

I notice you are avoiding my argument that if you like the Edmunds pick, you must also think Artie Burns and Jarvis Jones were good picks. They fit into this formula that you seem to think is beyond reproach, too.

You are out of your depth and I have reality on my side.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is defending the Steelers passing on All-Pro Darius Leonard to take Edmunds, who is a bust. His logic basically boils down to his claim that Leonard doesn't fit the profile of a player the Steelers would want in the first round, ignoring the fact that Leonard was rated as high or higher in most rankings and his position was one of desperate need for the team. In addition to costing them a great player, this mistake led to them trading three picks to move up to draft Bush.

His logic is basically that Leonard doesn't fit the profile of a player the Steelers would take in the first round. Of course, Artie Burns and Jarvis Jones also fit the profile, so steelersrule6 is arguing in favor of those disastrous selections as well.

My point is that the Steelers made a mistake in sticking to that profile, one that they should have foreseen at the time. He keeps insisting that a player should have one outstanding attribute that makes them a first round, which is idiotic. Teams shouldn't just look at one aspect of a player. They should evaluate the entire package. That type of thinking might have helped them avoid a mistake like Edmunds, who had the physical tools, but simply wasn't a great player his final year in college.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I feel like I’ve heard that before…

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It may have come up once or twice in the past. :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Thanks for taking the time to explain the history. I have tried myself to better understand how the Steelers compile draft evaluation grades over the last 15 to 20 years but i have had only one correct pick and it was an undrafted free agent from Miami that only made the 2nd round of cuts. lol

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s a process that has served them well.

We’d all be draft extraordinaries with the use of hindsight. Steelers have a very good 1st rd record. Obviously Burns, Jarvis and Edmunds haven’t been examples of that lately.

What SteelersRule6 is alluding to is that there was no reason to look at Leonard as a 1st rd pick during the draft process, he didn’t have a first rd grade and no team selected him there. When teams break their board to make a pick thats how you end up with bad teams.

That’s why Steelers make their picks so fast on draft night, they spend all year making a board and stick to it, that’s what good teams do. Besides not being a first rd prospect, Leonard also didn’t fit the profile for the type of ILB they were looking for, they needed a replacement for Shaizer and that’s not Leonard, he was never an option for them.

Now, you can blame coaching for being married to that type of defense but coaching is Tomlin and Butlers responsibility, Colberts job is to get them the players that fit their system.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please stop misrepresenting what I'm writing as hindsight. It wasn't and it is dishonest to write otherwise.

The reason Leonard should have been a first-round pick is he was rated ahead of Edmunds, the guy the Steelers wasted their first-round pick on in that draft. I'm not sure why that is such a difficult concept for some of you.

It is absolutely inaccurate to say Leonard wasn't an option for them. He was available when they made the pick. That made him an option. You are falling into the same misguided logic that they somehow couldn't take Leonard due to some set of criteria that applies for their other first-round picks. The thing is, they didn't have to stick to those criteria. In that case, it as a mistake to stick to that criteria. Sticking to that criteria gave them Edmunds, who should have gone in the second or third round. If you want to defend the Edmunds pick with those criteria, then you have to defend Burns and Jones, too. Do you two really want to claim those were good picks because they fit the criteria? Knock yourself out, but I'll be laughing at you if you go there.

Leonard was available. By the rankings at the time, he was as good or better than Edmunds. He would have fit a huge need. There is no hindsight involved. The Steelers blew it with the pick.

By the end of their rookie seasons, that decision was clearly even more of a disaster. Edmunds was below average. Leonard was an All-Pro and the Steelers still had a huge need at inside linebacker, one they overpaid to try to fill with Bush, who has been a bust. It was clearly a bad pick at the time and it has set the franchise back significantly.

The truly funny part is you seem to be implying that Leonard wouldn't be able to play in the Steelers' defense. The All-Pro middle linebacker couldn't handle an inside spot in a 4-3? That is utterly laughable.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh shuuuut up with that whiney garbage. I misrepresented nothing.

The rest is all bull**** and only highlights you have no clue how the draft works. I’m not rehashing a debate we have had 8 million times. I was filling chinchilla on the stuff you left out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not about Bush, I asked Scribe to give me one special trait that Darius Leonard has that would make him a first round prospect, and of course he had nothing

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Edmunds was their first choice, I think they only took him because of the run of ILBs before their pick, I never said I liked the pick I said I could understand them reaching for him because he had some traits that appealed to them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Bush issue does not lie in his knee, it's his scrambled egg head. Does anyone remember some of the weird stuff he was putting out on twitter? The issue is between the ears folks. He is playing absolutely horrible. And for a player they traded up 10 spots for. Bad angles, wrong place at the wrong time, getting run over, can't tackle for $hit. What does he doing above the line? He is not the best ILB either Schobert is that. And at least Spillane can tackle and is head and shoulders better at stopping the run. Its the coverage that he is subpar at.

They need to have Spillane play more especially if the opposing team is running with success in which we all just witnessed.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Leonard was so special coming out of college no team took him in the first round :shrug:.
    Edmunds is rated #73, Leonard is rated #87
    https://www.nfl.com/news/mike-mayock-s-2018-nfl-draft-top-100-prospect-rankings-0ap3000000928186

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I understand that the Steelers would have been able to make good use of an All-Pro at inside linebacker. You seem to be having trouble with that idea. Clearly, I understand player acquisition better than you. I am sorry if me pointing that out bothers you.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Leonard was so special that he earned All-Pro honors as a rookie. Clearly, many of the teams that passed on him in the first round made a mistake, with the Steelers at the top of that list.

Yes, that was the one ranking that head Edmunds ahead of Leonard. I've posted multiple others that had it the other way around, including two that didn't even have Edmunds in the top 100.

You do realize that every bit of evidence we've seen since the draft points to the fact that the Steelers made a significant mistake in taking Edmunds in the first round, right? If you want to argue that Leonard wouldn't have been a better option, you are welcome to your mistaken opinion, but it will just make you look even more foolish.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What I have is the understanding that scouting a player based on any single trait is stupid. You really should learn that. I rejected your idiotic premise and pointed out that the entire package made Leonard a better prospect than Edmunds. Again, neither guy was rated a first-rounder going into that draft, but Leonard was better. The results ever since have proven me right and the Steelers wrong.