1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The time is past for #55

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bleednblackngold, Nov 14, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm sorry you can't face the facts, for the millionth time even if the Steelers didn't draft Edmunds, they weren't going to draft Leonard in the first round.

2. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I was looking at this piece written here as I miss Ryan Shazier.

He was so damn quick and fast but I think the other trait he had was his processing speed of the play based on personnel/formation as well as how he was able to disrupt before the play matured to where these blockers were going if that make any sense.

If you have a sec ...this guy makes a strong case of what he sees as part of the struggles of Bush. I just hope they dont start targeting him and go right after him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/11/steelers-film-room-has-devin-bush-lost-his-edge/

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

The DL isn't helping the ILBs by keeping the guards off of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sorry you don't understand that what you think they would have done is irrelevant. Given that Leonard was a higher-rated player at a position of need, they should have taken him over Edmunds.

I am also sorry that you don't know the difference between a fact and an opinion. Your claim about what the Steelers would have done is an opinion, not a fact.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Name one special trait that would put Leonard in the first round?
    Cons:
    Played at a small school
    Tomlin/Colbert didn't attend his pro day
    Ran slow
    Average size

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Point Taken....Are we even still playing a base 3-4? God how I underappreciated Big Snack and Aaron Smith for taking on two OL at a time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    We haven't played that two-gap style since Butler took over, though. The LBs and safeties have had opportunities in run support but have failed, taking bad angles, missing tackles, making poor effort, etc .

Vince Williams is the one who I under-appreciated.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Agree with what your saying, just want to add that Jarvis Jones was also an unbelievable warrior in college. He head could be messed up now and that's another reason he should sit some. I hoping he can get over this but what I see is he gets completely consumed be his blocker and can't shed them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    None and no one here was pimping him. Might have had his name mentioned once, I looked through this on one of the many earlier debates about this.

The best argument that can be made is that they reached for the wrong one but without a doubt, Leonard would have been a reach in the first. Some draft grades felt his selection in the second was a reach. Hindsight is 20/20.

Happy reading

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/official-2018-draft-day-thread-no-spoilers.19497/

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't completely disagree. The loss of both Tuitt and Alualu are hurting their run defense. But, that doesn't explain why Bush can't tackle or why he continually gets caught looking inside on an outside play or vice versa. Some of his struggles I also blame, to a lesser extent, on coaching. He's still a young guy. But Alex Highsmith has shown much more promise, albeit at a different position as a third rounder than Bush has as a first rounder.

Understand, I'm not rooting for the kid to fail. However, for whatever reason(s), he hasn't been good this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

Oh good lawd, I dread thinking that.
    :facepalm:

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    schobert sucks too

we have LOTS of work to do with this interior D for 2022. If Bush were a 4th rounder, he would have been benched already. Spillane would be playing better, IMO. Now - he is no solution either, but Bush sucks this year.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because he can tackle maybe?
    c'mon man, it is elementary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Explain why most rankings had him ahead of Edmunds. Those rankings that did were clearly right in terms of projecting both as pros. Even without hindsight, Leonard was the better choice. With hindsight, your side of the argument is laughably bad.

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    what do you mean?

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I already KNOW what this is about. Good on you for remembering what I have been stating since then. Very much appreciated! :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers don’t view Bush as a bust and more than likely will pick up his option next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The last player the Steelers drafted in the first round from a small school was Ben, clueless :facepalm:, so a slow, small school ILB wasn't going to be their first round pick. Also I don't think they had Leonard come in for a predraft visit, or the fact that Tomlin/Colbert didn't attend his pro day.

19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If he keeps playing like this and they pick up his option, it's either about sunk cost/endowment effect, or they're clueless.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I see you are relying on an ad hominem attack to prop up your failed argument. Sorry, but your logical fallacies are not persuasive.

By your logic, every pick by the Steelers is a good one because that is what they wanted to do. I guess you think Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns were good selections, too, because they fit the formula for a Pittsburgh first-rounder. By the way, that is how you make a valid argument. Are you taking notes? You should.

The Steelers were wrong to dismiss Leonard. They were wrong to not bring him in for a pre-draft visit. They were wrong to miss his pro day. Now they are paying the price for those mistakes and the bad draft pick that was the result of their errors. I do hope you learn something this time, though I'm probably expecting too much of you.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm still waiting for you to answer my question, name one trait that would've put Leonard in the first round, you have nothing to rely on besides hindsight.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m sure the cost they sunk into drafting him will certainly play a roll in that decision but they will also be evaluating his performance pre injury when he was playing well. All you have to do is look how much the defense fell off after he was injured.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't accept your premise that a player has to have one outstanding trait. The combination of traits made Leonard a higher-rated player than Edmunds. Given that both positions were needs, the Steelers should have taken the better player. Those of us who understood the situation realized at the time that Edmunds was a terrible pick. I'm sorry that you didn't and you are so desperate to defend your position that you will keep making these foolish arguments.

The worst of your arguments is this idea that the Steelers couldn't have taken Leonard because they weren't at his pro day or you don't think he fits the right profile. It was clearly a mistake to miss out on his pro day, and if he really doesn't fit their profile, their profile needs to change so they don't go passing on future all-pros to take mediocre players like Edmunds again. It was clearly a mistake at the time, and it is one that has done some serious long-term damage. They missed out on a great player and that left a hole that they spend three draft picks trying to fill with Bush, who looks like a bust.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed. I actually thought He was doing pretty Well before the injury. It takes people time mentally after those injuries...some more than others. What's Edmunds excuse???

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree Edmunds was a reach, but he had some traits where their reach is understandable. Who was the last player they took in the first round, where they didn't attend their pro day, or have that player in for a predraft visit?

• Like Like x 1