1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers were smart to let Bell walk.

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Jun 9, 2019.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    A year too late but yeah I'm glad he didn't sign that monster contract that the Steelers offered him. Use that money in the trenches where it counts.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I have no problem with the way the Steelers treated Bell. They handled Brown horribly, but they were right with Bell.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They offered him a very fair deal, he chose not to accept it.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If bell had signed that deal and the whole brown fiasco had transpired as it did then the Steelers would be in cap hell right now. Steelers caught a huge break although it didn’t feel like it at the time and they probably missed the playoffs because of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brown's cap hit for this season is pretty close now to what it would have been had the Steelers kept him.

Bell screwed his teammates over last season, but he did the franchise a favor by not signing that long-term deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I understand that but the Steelers had a bit of cap room from bell holding out last year and obviously not being on the roster for 2019. Could they have done all those extensions and signed Nelson, Moncrief and Barron if bell was still there? I doubt it.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They wouldn't be in cap hell, but they were able to roll over $14.5M in cap space because he held out all year. That definitely helped this offseason.

9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That was my point, the rollover plus the money he would have earned in 2019 was available due to Bell walking away. It allowed the Steelers to lock up Pouncey and Foster and make several signings. Im sure they would have managed the cap but they would be really struggling for depth if he had signed the contract they offered him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's why I said Bell did the Steelers a favor by not signing the long-term deal.

They haven't seen any significant cap relief from Brown's departure yet because they are locked into so much dead money for him this year. Trading Brown won't offer any cap relief until 2020.

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes it seems we are saying the same thing so I’m not sure why you keep trying to correct me but I do understand the cap situation with Brown thanks

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    AB wanted all of the 14.5 mil. Another wise decision by the front office.

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    You got to be kidding me handled Brown wrong?

If you are suggesting they shouldn't have put up with his temper tantrums and special treatment than I agree.

Or should they have pampered his ego, benched Ben, and praise Mr. Big Chest as the Almighty!

Give me a break the best joke I heard all day. :poopy:

As for the thread, I agree that they dodged a bullet with Bell. Glad he didn't sign.