1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers ranked as the second best dynasty in NFL history

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jun 6, 2021.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I think it's a huge stretch to say that cheating is the sole reason the Steelers didn't win those games. Even after Spygate, Brady and co still spanked us on a regular basis.

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It wasn't the only reason, the uncalled forward lateral on the blocked FG return in 2001 also helped.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In one of those games that we think they cheated Plexico was the actual culprit.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Cowboys won 3 titles in 5 years, the Steelers won 2 in 6 years, the Dolphins are going to get a lot of credit for their undefeated season, they went to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 of them.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought Pouncey got hurt during the AFC Championship game vs. Jets. He was healthy for Ravens game in divisional round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Thanks, that's correct.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think the Patriots dynasty should be split into two separate dynasties. When I think of a dynasty, a dynasty tends to have the same core for an extended period of time. The Bulls dynasty had Pippin and Jordan, the 49ers had Montana and Craig, Cowboys had Smith and Irvin plus that defense, and we all know who the core of the Steelers teams of the 70s. Point being, the Patriots from 01-06 and from 12-19 were drastically different teams with completely different cores. The only bridge between the two is Billichek and Brady. The Patriots teams between 07-11 weren't bad. They won division titles and such, even made it to a SB I believe.

8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    If the Steelers had just drafted Dan Marino, the 90's would have seen a couple Super Bowl wins, at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The 70 Steelers when they played in the playoffs, you new ahead of time that they were going to win and they did. They we so much better then everybody else. During the 2000 Pats you weren't sure who was going to win in the playoffs, but they usually did.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    If the Steelers had drafted Marino our draft order would've changed. We wouldn't have gotten most of those players we had in the 90s. We'll never know what would've happened had we drafted Marino. At least not until I perfect the interdimensional machine I'm working on. Only them will we know what happened in an alternate universe.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This is true. Had Steelers drafted Marino... they may not have been able to draft Woodson and Lloyd.

Steelers 1984 team was pretty good.... Marino instead of Malone would have made a difference... possibly beating the 15-1 49ers in the Super Bowl that year. Hell... the Steelers beat the 9ers with Malone in the regular season in this universe. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They would have got other players and had the best QB in the league. Bettis trade likely still happens. Now you have the best QB and RB.

Steelers had a pipeline for great LB’s because they were one of the only teams drafting DE’s and converting to 3-4 LB’s so that wouldn’t change, just some of the names on the jersey.

Marino definitely gives them more SB’s.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Marino was getting crushed by Buffalo in the 90s. :hmm:
    One of them other non-dynasties. :hehehe:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If Marino had been drafted by the Steelers he’d have won 3 times as many SBs as he did in Miami.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Patriots deserve to be on this list. No doubt about that. However, I disagree with the timeline. I think the Patriots could potentially be listed twice just as the Cowboys are. Many players were on their first three super bowl wins, but only Brady/Belichick were left from the first three wins to their last three. I would still argue the Steelers should be first on the list having so 22 players on all four super bowls. Also, can the Raiders really be counted for 1967-1985? That also seems to be a bit of a stretch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Raiders made the Super Bowl in each decade 67-85.

17. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    3 x 0 = 0

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Kirkland's, Lloyd's, Chad Brown's, were all Non-1st round picks. Kevin Greene was a free agent. Steelers almost won the Super Bowl without Rod Woodson so you cant say if they do not get him because of draft selection, it would have mattered as much. The Steelers would have had the best defense in the NFL, best Qb in the NFL in my opinion at the time and Bill Cowher who was extremely underrated when it came to adapting to his talent. Remember, "Conservative" Cowher put together the 5 wide receiver offense in 95 and created the "slash" player like no one before. Cowher was not Marty Ball or Chuck Knox, he had skills to adapt. He just didnt get his franchise QB until his last 3 years.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    IMO.
    Once You change the Qb you change the complexity of the Team.
    Also Marino wasn't known for Loving 2 run the ball, so there goes the Bus , and a big key 2 the Defense because of time of possession which Bill C . loved.
    I mean. I don't know , and Neither does anyone claiming it would have meant a bunch more SB.
    Kind of Like all those SBs that I heard people say A. Rodgers was getting after his 1st.
    Also You can not claim(demand)a Quarter of Your salary cap , and wonder were is all Your help. That goes for all players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It absolutely would’ve changed the complexity of our drafts and the make up of the team. Plus Rod Woodson did play in the Super Bowl that we lost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Bill who? Does Noll retire with Marino in his prime and a couple more rings? What if the Steelers snuff out the budding Browns' and Bengals' success in the 80's and they turn over more head coaches? Bill could have ended up coaching the Browns.

What if Dan's contract comes up just as the era of free agency begins and like so many other free agents back then, he goes to the highest bidder? Dan could have been the QB version of Chad Brown or Eric Green or Leon Searcy and ended up as one of the most reviled Steelers among fans.

For all we know, Dan could have still popped his achilles in a Dolphins uniform, causing an avalanche of hate posts on AOL message boards from bitter Steeler fans.

Have a nice day.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s funny that Bill won a SB almost immediately after getting a franchise QB but wouldn’t have won a SB with Marino :rolleyes:

And we already know what Noll could do.

Also, I didn’t know there weren’t any other good players except for the ones Steelers drafted. Who cares if the draft order changed.

Marino lacked a ground game and a defense to win championships, two things the Steelers excelled at.

I had a boss who used to say people who think the Steelers wouldn’t have won a SB with Marino lack imagination.

23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Knoll? :facepalm:

Shula was a run-first, ground and pound defensive coach until he got drunk with Marino's powers. Nobody knows how Noll or Cowher would have reacted when that genie came out of the lamp.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s embarrassing but I know Nolls name, I wonder if that was predictive text.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True.

I was rewatching a Steelers Oilers game from 1989 the other day... slow news day lol.. and one thing the commentators were mentioning was how Noll was being accused of being stuck in his ways. I seem to recall he took a long time to adopt the shotgun as well.

Not a criticism of Noll, just food for thought on how Marino might have gone down in Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1