1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers draft strategy

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 17, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think within the first 3 rounds they need to draft a RB and center, these guys are going to be expected to start. I don't think they will draft a LT early, unless a guy like Darisaw falls to #24, I could see them taking one defensive player within the first 3 rounds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    If Jenkins is there and the top 3 RB are still there, I could see them taking him instead.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Saw on Twitter yesterday but can’t find it now one of the beat writers posted a graphic of the players they have shown the most interest in to date in terms of attending pro days, virtual meetings etc. The top four were

Najee Harris RB
    Travis Etienne RB
    Landon Dickerson C
    Asante Samuel CB

We’d all love a stud RB but I know it’s not the smart move long term, reaching for a running back is treating the symptom rather than the cause, which is the run blocking and play calling. I won’t totally hate it if they take Harris or Etienne, but it’s not what I’d do.

I’d definitely agree a running back and a center will be among the first three picks. If there was ever a year to trade back it’s this year. Those positions are not ones that you need to target in round 1 typically. Try to get an additional fourth or maybe even a third, linebacker, edge, corner, tackle are all needs as well. The more picks the better.

It’s not their usual MO to trade back so I don’t expect they will, but there is a good argument for it this year.

4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    RB was part of the problem last year, but yes the line was the bigger issue. When Banner and Wisniewski were in the lineup in week one, the running game was solid. So with Dotson and Banner back, it could be close to week 1 last year if they find a center. But also having a RB that is a playmaker with either vision and speed or vision and power will help just as much. If Etienne is a Kamara or Harris is a Henry, then a first round pick on a RB is worth it, especially at 24, and you have enough other players to compete. If you don't plan to be competitive, then take the BPA.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Me likey Asante Samuels

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I didn’t know much about him I’ll be honest, other than his heritage which is strong. Presumably if he is picked they’d want him to play slot initially, backfilling the Cam Sutton role there as he moves outside. It could be a sneaky good long term pick.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    As they should.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Agreed! They wont get the top RB in the second but will still have a shot at the one from UNC I think, and if he isn't then a decent center may be there.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Javonte Williams will be on the board for them at #55, but they could probably get a center in the 2nd or 3rd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Oh please no to a Running Back in Round One. Too many needs on the Roster; way too many in fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't have a problem with them going RB in the first round, it's not like they would be using a top 10 pick on one, it's late round one. If they want to get one of the top 2 RBs, they will have to use a first round pick.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the top two RBs in the draft have run behind arguably the top two lines in college football. they won't have that here. williams and carter have nearly identical amount of carries with carter having more production per carry behind the same line. i'd be looking at north carolina linemen which were not the blue chip players in college that etienne and harris ran behind to become the best two in this draft. which is why they may not actually be the best RBs in the draft. you have to sometimes read between the lines and look at the production of the RBs that had good production behind lesser offensive lines. that would be the guys i'm targeting. that shows more of the worth of the back. is it the back or the line that caused the production?

it starts in the trenches. that is not just a term that gets used lightly. it more often then not rings true. a good line can make a lesser back look really good. a good qb can make a lesser wr look really good. this is why ballage and snell shouldn't be blown off as no good. the lines they have run behind have not been very good. just adding a back without fixing the line could make etienne or harris look quite pedestrian as well.

so would it be the right pick? good question. i still think we should mix in linemen and defense first and get a productive back to add to our stable later. fix whats broke first. center and guard and tackle.

decastro has been a shell of himself the last two years. a good center/guard capable guy will do more for us i believe. even if we use finney to start with.

we need linemen to fit the scheme we are putting in place with canada. we can't compare last year or prior years to anything we have seen here and the linemen we have now. that all changes. a RB in the wrong system behind the wrong linemen for a scheme will ruin the scheme. start at square one and that's the offensive linemen. you then find the back that fits that scheme with his style. that is a big reason they are looking at etienne. he fits that better. what they did in college means nothing if it doesn't fit.

we right now have a power run line but an outside zone run scheme. we have a couple of backs that are power backs and are not guys with the speed and vision to hit those holes that open and close quickly. mcfarland is a guy they hoped could do that but he hasn't shown that vision yet. he misses those open holes. there are a few guys that have that vision in this draft and one of them is etiennne. there are some others as well. carter is that type. sermon is. hubbard is. mitchell is. stevenson is. < he's really a mix of both worlds. these guys have to see a hole and have the speed to make a cut and get through it before it closes. carter to me is one of the best for that. along with possibly ballage.

we don't need that 3 yards and a cloud of dust RB. an every down 30 carries a game guy. we need one that can fit this scheme because we still have a qb and wrs that can keep defenses from loading the box. thats when carter wouldn't be effective. we have an offense that isn't going to rely on just one thing. i think thais is where many are getting off point and wanting that feature pound the ball type of RB. not our game. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I'm really more interested in the 2nd UNC back. Carter. So I'm hoping we take him in the 4th

My hope is Farley or JOK or Zaven or Ojulari at 1
    Little at 2
    C at 3
    Carter at 4

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Fantastic write-up.

In a Perfect world 1st Rd Farley om drops to us... We get a possible top 10 stud dropping because of injury fears.

2. Leatherwood: I think he is a C/G playing tackle in college and will be a stud at Guard.

3. Walker Little. Another stud who has dropped due to not having played in 2 years. But his tape is 1stvround caliber. Strength, Athletisn and hands are all great.

4. Carter, i think he is the best fit for the Steelers, and likely to play 4 years before breaking down

If that was our draft, I'd be ecstatic...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rinse and Repeat
    1.RB/OL Center Najee
    2.Ditto above whichever one they don't select with #1 pick
    3 ILB Chaz Surrat
    4 OLB
    5.TE
    6.Safety /CB
    7 OL.