1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The sky isn't falling yet, but....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Nov 25, 2018.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Some days are just bad. This was one of them. Bad in gut wrenching ways because we ended up losing on well executed offensive plays (until that last series, don't get me started). Yet, there we were on the doorstep with all the crap we did which the other team didn't (and yes, pretty much all of those turnovers were gift-wrapped). But, we're never as bad as we seem, just like we're probably not as good as we seem when things are going well.

Still, we just played against 2 teams that are unlikely to make the playoffs with Blake Bortles and Case Keenum at the helm. Now, it's Philip 28-29 Rivers (yeah, it was Arizona, but...) who ain't Bortles or Keenum and a San Diego team likely to claim at least the 5 seed (if not their division). This may well be a preview of wild card weekend, so it's time to see what kind of playoff run might be possible. Our defense has looked solid, but I'm not convinced yet. Let's see how they fare against a high-flying San Diego team. If they do well, maybe the hope is still there. If not..... well, reading the message boards won't be particularly enjoyable. Until next week, boys.....

2. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I feel that we watched two different games, I saw a horribly coached and poorly executed game on the Steelers end. Sloppy play, zero ball security, poor timeout management, Ben missing wide open receivers down field, unbalanced predictable offense, horrible coverage...too much to list.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    San Diego lost to Denver last week :shrug:, hopefully we get primetime Ben at home against the Chargers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Really? I saw this as a game that was very well coached for the most part. The play calling was really good. They marched up and down the field all day. This game turned on 3 plays. The blocked FG, the Gimble fumble and the Conner fumble. It shouldn't even have come down to that last drive. They had 527 yards on offense.

BTW, Ben missing wide open receivers down the field? He over threw 1 or 2! How many did he put on the numbers? I think you're being a bit overly critical and negative.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m as frustrated as anyone about today’s ridiculous game, but how many of us would have said “no thanks” back when we were 1-2-1 if someone said “after 11 games the Steelers will be 7-3-1, with a game and a half division lead?”

Today sucked, but the sky is most definitely NOT falling.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree for the most part but the play design and decision making on the last 3 plays was very poor to say the least. They have been one of the better RZ teams this year because they have run the ball. Running the ball down there would of been the sensible thing to do. If they line up in a power formation with Nix leading for Conner they most likely score on 1st or 2nd down. They also have the option of play action out of that formation. The insistence of Ben trying to force the ball to AB leads to mistakes more than success. You know the D is gonna make sure AB isn't the one to beat them. The smart thing to do would be to use guys that aren't expected like the TEs and even Nix. We started the season being simplistic and sometimes even creative and now we're back to being predictable. It's time for some fresh ideas or man up and run the football....

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The sky is not falling whatsoever. In fact, we are still on "Cloud Nine" in my opinion.

What is beginning to fall however, are Pittsburgh's chances of claiming the number two seed in the conference. Our chances in the playoffs are much better at home than away.

Winning out is the only remaining option UNLESS New England somehow, someway loses another.

9. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They need one Texans loss while winning out to get the #2 seed

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not a well oil machine that's for sure. No identity on this current edition of the Steelers!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Whoops! Forgot about them too. :lolol:

Houston is also a team that has impressive pass rushing prowess across the board as a whole. Add Deshaun Watson and that team is quite scary.

Nevermind that, their schedule is pretty easy. Even accounting for the Colts, their remaining opponents do not have either winning records or enough firepower on offense and/or defense to compete against Houston.

That being said, I like my chances of facing Houston away far better than facing New England. At worst, we can take on Houston blow for blow offensively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We are a ridiculously good team when we win the turnover/penalty wars.

Very average to poor when we don’t

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't see the Patriots losing to the Vikings or Steelers. The only game I can see that would be a threat would be vs. Dolphins at Miami. For some strange reason, the Dolphins play the Patriots very well in Miami.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Division game.. cant compare two teams losing in their division to eachother to anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah they do. Brady struggles in miami. But I can see them possibly losing to Minnesota.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Cousins would have to have the game of his life. He's a good QB, but I don't think he can win a shootout with Brady... especially if Gronkowski and Edelman are healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Get your eyes checked....... He over threw 4 horribly wide open down sideline....... 2 to the rookie 1 to ju ju and another to brown...........

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Idk. That defense is horrible maybe even worse than ours. The Vikings have better weapons than NE and a better defense.

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I hear this every year... how bad the Patriots defense is, but yet they stop the Steelers offense, more often than not. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    our "juggernaught" offense is sputtering, and we haven't even reached the pats yet lol. Then again it's on the road.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I dont get the juggernaut offense takes. The saints, rams, and chiefs would be what inconsiderate juggernaut offenses. Not ours.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Hit juju and Washington in the freaking hands. The balls might have been overthrown by a foot at most. Enough of the melodramatic bs please

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I thought this was a 10-6 team at start of season and I still believe that. (10-5-1) Should get 1 home playoff game which they may or may not win but the I still think there is a small chance and I do mean tiny tiny that they could get to SB. Chiefs QB has never played in a playoff game although probably will be at home for them and depending on which Steeler team shows up we have the ability to beat any of the AFC playoff teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The ball to Washington was on the money. The ball to JUJU was overthrown. He should of put that ball right on him instead of leading him. JUJU had to lay out completely just to have a chance. The first INT might of been caused by a grab by someone on D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I think the Vikes will rough Marsha up

• Like Like x 1