1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The return of Edmunds?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    To start his rookie season, he was taking deep shots and threw a number of picks early on. Based on that, I think this does have some merit. I think it is fair to wonder about “to-what-degree”, but I have seen it alluded to in a variety of interviews (playing safely and not losing games).

2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Goldbunny was the only one I thought was truly "ride or die" with Pickett and we all know how that ended up. I get it though, you were one of the first to proclaim Pickett is trash and anyone who doesn't share that opinion is clearly a Pickett nut hugger. Still, I think I'll stick with the wait and see approach.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    No. I don’t think he’s trash. I just don’t think he’s going to be our next franchise qb. I would love to be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    That really is where I'm at. There's been glimpses that he can be something but a lot of bad stuff mixed in there. Just hoping with a competent O.C. and a strong team around him that he can be a quality starter.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I came to check out the discussion in the Terrell Edmunds thread and it’s turned into another Kenny Pickett debate, lol. Seems like every thread is turning into a Pickett debate these days. I’m where you’re at, I’ll wait and see what happens with Pickett. What choice do we have? He’s the guy going into next season, that’s been made clear. Last off-season I was full of optimism for Pickett. This off-season, I’m very pessimistic about his future. What a difference a year makes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Way too many posters here want to rail on Pickett. They know there is a decent shot that he is QB1 heading into the 2024 season and they want to vent. Most of them want to fawn over Mason Rudolph, too. If anybody dares to question their logic, they get pissy. That's the thing about me. I dare. :)

I've posted about Edmunds quite a bit on this board. I think most people know I thought taking him in the first round was a terrible decision. He is durable, but he sucks. He is a huge liability in coverage and his run defense isn't all that great either. He rarely makes big plays and too often makes big mistakes. He wouldn't be awful as a backup, but bringing him back to start would be a mistake.

7. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I don't know that you're anywhere near where I'm at. You said it yourself, your wait and see approach with Kenny is because you may have to, not because you want to. I have more hope, even if it is miniscule, that Pickett will have a better year while you have infinitely more faith in Rudolph than I do.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    His very first pass was intercepted deep because of alligator arms Claypool.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There is a big difference in telling the Qb to take care of the ball, and don't throw to open guys.
    If it was all coaching problems You wouldn't see him not see the wide open target, and throw to the double covered target. How would throwing to the double covered target over the open target be more preferable to the coach telling Him not to turn it over???? It's not....the problem is ....He simply didn't see the open opportunities. He may get better at this. I sure hope so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    When you put too much emphasis on protecting the ball, you will see a quarterback taking check-down routes rather than attacking with riskier passes down the field. That accounted for some of the times he didn't throw to open receivers. They look open to you and me on film, but they don't look open in the moment to a quarterback who has been told that avoiding turnovers is the priority. Of course, this is just a theory, but it is one that fits the available evidence.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I am not saying it is completely one or the other, but the truth might be in the middle.

I have seen it suggested that it is Pickett’s fault alone and that there was no influence from coaching. I don’t agree with this line of thinking either, because a coach can absolutely impact the flow of the game with play calling and messaging to players.

We are all reading the tea leaves here, but I would suggest that coaching had something to do with it, because they fired a coach mid-season which is very uncharacteristic (having been the first in many decades). Not only that, Rooney and Tomlin have remained steadfast in saying Pickett is the starter and they will bring in completion.

Said another way, the firing of Canada and reaffirmation of Pickett (understanding there will be a competition) is a nod that both coaching and the young QB were at fault.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Can’t argue with that. I think we all know that Kenny will get the chance to prove his worth in 2024 as he should. But this is it. No more Matt Canada to blame for his shortcomings. Canada didn’t help Pickett at all, but I think Pickett’s problems go well beyond Canada’s ineptitude as his OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably 99% of the people on here would agree

A few……well they just like to argue

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

so, you agree with what he said - that Pickett's problems go beyond Canada's (and Tomlin's - I'll add ) ineptitude?

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Well duh

I’ve been very clear on that and never remotely suggested otherwise

• Agree Agree x 1