1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The pathetic state of Pittsburgh Sports talk Radio

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ironman, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I will give Madden credit for those two things. He does know hockey and he is willing to go after Nutting. That said, it just isn't worth supporting a sensationalist troll by listening to him.

I have only heard them a few times when visiting, but I also like Starkey and Cook. He comes off a little more conventional than the guy I first met 30 years ago. I disagree with him a lot, but Zeise is a good guy. He is definitely opinionated.

2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Zeise is very blunt in a humorous sort of way. He was on after a historically lopsided Pirate loss last summer (21-1?) and his rant was pure gold. I'm a big hockey fan and Madden often has former and current NHL players on his show. His interviews are generally very entertaining. But his general talk can be tedious. I'd like to meet Ron Cook. He seems like a regular guy. I don't agree with him all the time, but I can usually understand where he's coming from.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Rome is a blow hole. I can't even stand to look at that little weasel. And what dark sin did we commit as a nation of sports fans to deserve him and Colin Cowherd?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Max Starks and Craig Wolfley 10am-12pm!

Good stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Oh, I know Zeise well. He was getting started around the time I was still writing for a local Pittsburgh outlet, so we would run into one another at events. Hit one of the local bars that was was popular with Pittsburgh sports media with him and a few others a time or two.

I like Cook on the air, but the few times I met him, he was kind of an ass.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    I listen to both SNR and The Fan. Both have good and bad points. SNR with Williamson and Lolley are good. But listening to Wolf and Starks wax on about 'the good ol days' gets very tiresome. The Fan definitely comes across as negative spin. But it's proven time and time again that negative media ALWAYS gets greater audience than positive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Fillipbologna is unlistenable, He acts like a lil Girl with the non stop Kenny routine, or talking about Lifes everyday tasks...He knows 0 about the Bucs, Pens, or even the Steelers for that matter...It's non stop KP Talk, or sometimes some made up BS his great insider " Aditi the Dingbat " ( the Browns Fan ) told him...

Cook and Starkey are spot on ...Zeise... He's a mush Mouth...

" Arrrrgghhh, ummmmm,Ben um...Ben um...He ummmmm, Arrrrgghhh is saying that Kenny should ummmmarrgghhhhh...uhhhhhhhh...He should ummmmm start looking more downfield... Arrrrgghhh ummmmmmmmm

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Interesting. Did you ever cross paths with Bob Smizik or Gene Collier? Smizik more than anyone in Pittsburgh sports media seems like he'd be difficult to deal with. I loved reading Gene Collier. I thought he was great. And hilarious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Give Paul Zeise a chance. He's blunt, but funny.

Filliponi is useless and unlistenable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wolf loves to talk about the old days :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What do you expect? This team is a disaster. There’s nothing to be excited about.

12. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    LOVE Stan, calls Steelers out when they are playing n coaching the way they are currently

Fair, not overboard or for ratings. A true journalist, IMO

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I enjoyed reading Collier's work. I met him once and he seemed decent enough.

Smizik could always write, but he comes across in print as a crank and he was the same way the few times I met him in person.

14. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    That's what I generally got from Smizik's articles. That he was just cranky and miserable.

15. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Two knowledgeable former players, generally on point, but there are times when Wolf could turn down the "trickeration" stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I used to see Wolf driving through my neighborhood dropping off Mark Bruener

Driving an old pickup truck with long hair and a beard he looked like he just came down out of the mountains

• Like Like x 2
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I can only listen to a few minutes of Uhler and Moats, every few minutes of Moats saying Da Body is so annoying :rolleyes:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Ironman

Aug 18, 2019
    Agreed, and Uhler's voice sounds like he's 10 years old.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I’m out of state so try to get Steelers perspectives the Fan mornings till 10 am is bad and the 10 -3 show is almost unlistenable. Are those guys 80? They are brutal I don’t know if they prepare the QB of the show stinks the writer guy is ok he’s just following the other clowns lead

• Like Like x 1
  20. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I actually like the morning show.

The 2-6 PM show is unbearable. Fillipponi is nails on chalkboard.

Zeise is hit or miss.

21. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I'm out of market but I don't seek out PA talk radio. Instead I just go to Youtube and watch videos from a few of my favorite analysts/journalists. I like DK Sports, including Matt Williamson's Scouting Eye and I also like Alex Kozora's tape breakdown.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Again on Steelers Nation, I wish they would screen these callers better.

Call-in portion is a bunch of morons.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Ironman

Aug 18, 2019
    Agreed its always 15 or so recorded commercials in a row followed by two minutes of talk and then the individual sponsor local live "reads" start. rediculous format.

• Like Like x 1
  24. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Poni tries too hard. That is his problem. He wants to be the best and be liked by everyone that it hurts his career. He tries to be optimistic about the Steelers, but he just turns foolish.

25. Ironman

Aug 18, 2019
    I find him to be a motormouth and completely obnoxious.