1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The future for Mason Rudolph?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 17, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    .....and weight benches

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nobody wants to address the elephant in the room.
    Ben Roethlisberger has hand tied the Pgh Steelers with
    his salary for the remaining years of his contract. If you are Colbert
    what really can you do? I thought / and have seen Colbert
    think out of the box these last few years that it has amazed me.
    He has tried to bring in many more players that he normally would have in the past.
    He finally pulled the trigger on the much needed FS I had been screaming for years for.
    So everybody you tell me what you would do if your Kevin Colbert and
    are obligated for the next two years with a 15 year NFL QB that is owed 52 million?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Nobody forced the Steelers in to giving Ben that contract, the issue is of their own making and we could all see at the time that they were going to be severely restricted in terms of extending their young guys and getting free agents as a result. They need a capable QB and the guys they have are nowhere near good enough but Ben at 33.5m is not good value IMO even if he comes back and plays well.

Let him come back and if Father Time has clearly caught up with him to the point where he is holding the team back I think you call him in to the office and give him the option to ‘retire at the end of the 2020 season. I don’t see what other choice they have as they are not going to publicly humiliate him by cutting him. It would save over $20m for 2021 and allow an extension for Watt or Minkah or whoever is up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Let him (Ben) do what he wants, it's our best chance to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Make a SB run with him, nothing better available. If he can't throw anymore idk, A. Dalton?

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Run the wildcat for a entire season and draft Trevor Lawrence :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin would get in the way, 8-8 at the least with his new toys on defense.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    See...that damn non losing record :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I in the "Tomlin will be exposed w/o Ben camp" but he is proving me wrong.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Aren’t you the guy who forever has been beating the drum for these undrafted players to make the team?

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Here is the bottom line for me with MR. I hate to rush to decision on a guy who has such limited opportunity.

But, there is absolutely no excuse for consistently throwing off your back foot when you have been playing football your entire life. They teach this out of you at every level of football starting with pee-wee.

There is absolutely no excuse for consistently throwing behind your receivers; he is either afraid to step into his throws resulting in passes that take too long to arrive, or he is unable to accept the speed of his receivers which isn't really feasible because the receiver he has the most experience with is a speedster (Washington) who he played his college career with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes and when they are playing good enough they should be. It doesn't mean we stop drafting players.:cool:

13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    In the off season Mason Rudolph better hire himself a QB whisperer
    to teach him qb mechanics and foot speed and moving inside
    the pocket. Reading defenses should be up there also. If not he maybe out
    of football in a very few short years. C'mon man you really need to do this
    this off season. You need to dedicate yourself to much improvement. Or
    you'll be out selling insurance and not collecting the big money that goes
    with being an NFL player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Tons of good college qbs can’t be an nfl qb he’s one of em

15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I'll agree that things don't look good for MR, and may never get good enough.

But when people say that his future can be judged after half a season as a starter, I think of this:
    - Goff (Rams) looked great his first two years as a starter. This year, he has more INTs than TDs.
    - Allen (Bills) looked like a bust last year. Even had a terrible game against the Browns this year. But the last 10 games (including the Cowboys last night), he is looking like a fanchise QB.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it is the opposite, I think he is thinking too much out there.

They say he is a film junkie, maybe he is over studying?

I think he just needs to let instincts take over, he wasn’t doing these things before the concussion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh my, he needs someone to increase his footwork speed dramatically. This
    can be done, they do it around here(PGH area) all the time for young
    players trying to get college scholarships

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/mason-rudolph-reveals-hes-been-working-with-a-quarterback-coach/

It’s too bad his GM and HC didn’t follow suit and give him a QB coach on the staff and not a OC/QB coach, a dedicated one. It’s fair to question MR results but it’s unfair to question his dedication and work ethic. I can link 10 other articles about the work he puts in trying to get better. Yes he’s been playing poorly and he has to shoulder some of the blame but the other issues have been well documented and play a major part as well.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Concussion. Then getting blasted by your own helmet. The guys head must still be shaking.

So the Duck move was the right one, well 3 passes. Then reality set in. I do feel that Hodges should start against the clowns. And I hope his Favre like thinking doesn't add to picks. If he throws a few picks are you all going to call for Rudolph?
    Or Paxton if he is activated? Musical QB's

The offense as a whole needs to step up especially the O Line, one in particular in AV. He has been beaten like a rented Mule the whole season.

20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Seems to me that Mason has not been right after he got knocked out cold. The best thing that could happen to him, not the team, is Duck does so-so and we bring him back for the last couple games and he plays at the same level he was pre-concussion.

His future is not settled yet, but at this time not looking too good as far as being THE starter.

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It sucks for the Steelers because they thought they were getting a first round caliber QB in the third round. For some reason, his play is not translating to the NFL. The under performing O line and lack of legit talent at the skill positions are a big part of the problem with the offense. We're gonna find out by halftime vs. the Browns... if it's the QB or the entire offense that is the culprit for the Steelers offensive woes. If Duck stinks it up like Rudolph, chances are good.... QB is not the problem and we shouldn't give up on either Duck or Reindeer.

Offensive line and skill positions will have to be a priority in 2020. Defense is no longer a weakness for the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
  22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Ben probably is our best chance to win games in the short term, but Ben is a short timer. There is no future there.

The time has come to try to switch horses. We have to try. I hope Duck plays good and when the season is over there is a consensus that he should be the starter.

If Duck does not work out and Ben starts next year, the best case scenario for Ben and the team is our defense gets even better and we have a situation like when he first started where he does not have to carry the team with his arm. Sort of like at the end of Elway`s career, where there was a complete team around him and he finally started winning Super Bowls even as his skill level was lower. Don`t know if we can get the run game and receivers for that to happen.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Does he need 2 QB coaches? (maybe...lol) Won't they be butting heads & the Steelers let him make his choice? :shrug:

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It all depends on how well Ben can perform next season. He might not be able to make it back to form with his injury. Ben will be with the team next season unless he decides to retire.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not a cap guy, I do know this year is a big hit on his contract because of the guarantee. How much of the dead weight carries over into 2021? The team has no room to even invest in a somewhat quality vet back up (they do not come cheap). Ben was coming off one of his best years statistically, the team bought in after all of the unrest the past season. That said if Ben comes back at 80 to 85%, that 33.5 compared to what some other chumps are getting is not a bad investment, problem is what O team they can put around an 80% Ben,