1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Brian Flores effect

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Oct 4, 2022.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Your right, but I painted scheme with a broad brush :hehehe:

They had Melvin Ingram last season. I don't know what was talked about between him and Tomlin, if he was told he would be in competition with Highsmith. If so that was wrong. He would have been a nice complement to supply a rotation and to spell the other two which I thought he was brought in to do. Didn't work out. Sure would like a caliper player like him on the roster right now and not just a couple of body's to be thrown in.

I'm sure they could have planned a better coverage plan not just some soft @ss zone. You have 3 defensive coaches plus assistance. You would think they would have a plan since Watt went down as well as secondary injuries. Its like they are coaching scared. Tomlin's word salad that the next man up is ready to go. Well that's not the case. I understand that your not going to have All Pros coming off the bench but you have had players in the system.

Also rumor has it that Watt has had a setback. They could have been working the phones to see if they could have made a trade to bring someone in who isn't just a body.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do agree with bringing in a trade. This defense relies on a pass rush....So it would be smart to bring in someone while Watt is out.....Question is .....Who???

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think Reed was just a body. It would be hard for anybody to replace TJ Watt
    And what he brings to the Steelers. You would THINK all these defensive gurus could
    Devise some sort of defense to control the bleeding?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    do you really not understand how the injuries against the browns and during the game against the jets affected what they normally do? They couldn’t run a dime defense and their nickel defense on passing downs had Maulet in the slot. He’s great in the slot AGAINSTTHE RUN. On passing downs he gets subbed out. They couldn’t sub him out due to injuries. They tried rolling Minkah down. In turn the jets played everybody’s fun game find minkah and throw away from him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yea I know. That was a mistake. Coaching mistake.

Some times I don't on a daily basis. Guess i'm not perfect like some think they are.

But I do understand that at least put up a fight and be the next man up the head coach is always yapping about. Also put the players in a spot to succeed with what ability they have to their strengths. How about some blitzes? Nope, lets just play scared. The front seven have been horrible. Besides Watt and Heyward getting niked up they have been relatively healthy. Of course the linebackers besides Highsmith and Jack are below average.The talent pool after the starters even some starters doesn't give comfort. Injuries happen unfortunately.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well he ain't doing $hit really. They need to finally stop messing around and upgrade this position in next years draft.

No one is Watt. He arguably is the best defensive player in the league. And look how this defense has responded since his injury. Pathetic.

For those in the back! I feel the same way.

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Might actually get some splash plays from Robinson. I don't see where this defense would be much worse with him in the game instead of Bush or Spillane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Trading draft capital for a marginal improvement in a lost season is dumb. Watt is the DPOY for a reason and this Defense is bad without him. Nothing is going to change that this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Our defense is thinking
    Our offense does not throw to the middle no way another would.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well can anybody explain the Flores difference a quarter into the season?
    Are you seeing players getting better. Are you seeing anything to halt the bleeding this team
    is experiencing since TJ Watt got hurt? I haven't, I see the same old defense.

12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Read where Flores didn't want/ then didn't believe in Tua Tagvailoa, AND was all in on Massage Watson.....

Please...and no thanks on this Dude ever becoming HC of the Steelers

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He isn't the defensive coordinator. I have seen Reed get better lately after being invisible early in the season. Bush has been better than last year. Jack has been solid after not playing well for the Jaguars last year. I'm not sure what coaching can do for Spillane, who usually knows what he is doing but just doesn't have the athleticism to get it done.

I never expected the guy to have a huge impact. I just expected a good linebackers coach, and I think he has done fine in that area.