1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bourbon - and other spirits - Thread (was: @ Myronwemissyinz)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Stopped by my local State Store today, and could not find Buffalo Trace. (I did pick up a bottle of Eagle Rare though. I'll let you know once I try it. :))

I saw another brand I was unfamiliar with and wondered if you had any thoughts. Woodford Reserve. They call themselves a craft distiller, but that could just be advertising hype. Any good?

2. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: @ Myronwemissyinz

You have to go to what they call specialty stores for the Trace. Not all stores carry it. Woodford is good in my top 5. A little more pricey than Trace and I think Trace taste better. But thats just me.

Another one I heard was really good but have yet to try is Blantons but cant get myself to pay about $50 a fifth. I might be alittle high on that but is about twice the cost of Trace.

You will like the Rare!! Happy Holidays!!

3. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011

Very nice. Don't ask me how, but I had no ice. Tried it straight first, it tasted nice. But then I gave it just the smallest splash of water (similar to how you open the flavor of Scotch), and WOW, much better than Maker's Mark.

I don't drink bourbon often, but Eagle Rare is quite nice for when the mood strikes.

4. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

Rare is good! Glad you liked it. #2 on my list. Try the Trace....Best tasting that I have had. JMHO

5. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011

Buffalo Trace? I will have to keep an eye out for that. A buddy of mine turned me towards Makers and that was considerably smoother than others I have tried. Next time the mood strikes me for a drink I will have to give that a shot.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011

If you can't find Trace, that Eagle Rare is VERY good too. It is to Maker's Mark what Maker's Mark is to Jim Beam. ;)

7. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

D had a bottle of this in my hand yesterday at the store. $49.95. :gasp: Not that I cant afford that for one bottle. I just cant afford to like it!! :hehehe: If you know what I mean. ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011

I understand. But then, life's too short. ;)

Buy a bottle. Make it your first bump, switch to something else after. The bottle will last longer that way, and you can savor it. :)

(I love good tequila. Unfortunately, there isn't any "good" tequila under 45-50 bucks. So it's a summer time only kind of thing.)

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Wow! A bourbon thread. Whoda thunk it!

Wife and I did the Bourbon Trail last summer. Went to 7 Distilleries. The Best tours were: Buffalo Trace (the guy who gave it really knew his stuff, he worked there for 30+ years, and his dad even longer before him). Woodsford Reserve (very small distillers, only 1-200 barrels/day, housed in a great old stone structure) Makers Mark's (beautiful local).
    The big high volume guys Jim Beam, Wild Turkey were interesting, but not as much personal touch, and their factories look, well, like factories. Will probably go back and do it again.

Regarding the recommendations here, I pretty much agree with them all.

Blanton's is great. It's pricey but it's extemely smooth. It's probably the best bourbon I've ever had. There apparently can be a lot of variability from bottle to bottle as it's single barrel and not blended. But I've had 3 bottles and they were excellent. Blanton's is a Buffalo Trace distilery product.

Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite bourbon. Great quality at a reasonable price. Took a bottle of it for my old boss who live outside the US, and is a big bourbon fan.

Woodsford Reserve is also very good.

Ridgemont Reserve 1792 by Bardstown Distiling is one that I just tried, it's very smooth as well. Liked it a lot. The Bardstown Distiller is the only one of the Big 8, that we didn't tour.

Makers Mark is the wife's favorite. It's ok, but there are other's I like better. It's made with Winter Wheat and not Rye so it tends to have a different, sweeter taste than the others. Makers Mark 46 is also nice, a little bit smoother.

I haven't had Eagle Rare, but have heard good things,

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011

Welcome to the wonderful world of the off-topic forums. Almost anything (civil and within board guidelines) is fair game here. :)

Thanks for that info. Myron is going to love you now. :lolol: Seems he has a kindred Bourbon connoisseur here.

11. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

Well lets keep "THE BOURBON THREAD" going......In my opinion Blantons was BLAH.....Very smooth (as silk)... but really had no taste... way over priced...Was not any where near Trace flavor...Trace is the best tasting bourbon out there!!....Eagle Rare is second..1792 is very good as well...Really liked it.Ya all can keep your Beam and Turkey..(second shelf)JMO

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

Where would Evan & Williams fit on those shelves? Third shelf? :)
    I don't really drink bourbon much anymore, but when I did I enjoyed the mainstream 2nd shelf Jack Daniels and Gentleman's Jack.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Jack isn't bourbon, its Tennessee whiskey. Years ago, I was told that in order to be called bourbon, it has to be made in Kentucky. Anyone know if that is true?

14. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

TTF...Have not tried E&W...actually never heard of it....Will look for it and give it a taste and let you know what I think(for as much as that matters)We all have our own taste!!

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011

You're absolutely right Knox. Don't know why my mind went right to Jack. Sorry to the bourbon lovers for mentioning a Tennessee whiskey in this thread. :bowdown:

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011

It's cheap, and I don't imagine it's anything appreciated by a connoisseur of finer bourbons. :-D

17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011

Very similar. I've certainly consumed more than my fair share of JD. Compared to the bourbons discussed here, JD is rot gut.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011

Yup, sure is. If JD is rot gut, EW is floor scuff remover. To the bourbon origins question, it's my understanding bourbon can be from anywhere in the US, and only a handful are made in Kentucky anymore. I could be wrong on that, though. I know Jack and Jack clones are distilled with sour mash and charcoal while bourbons are not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

Try it you will like it!!!

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011

I learn something new every day.

According to NAFTA and International trade agreements, "Tennessee whiskey" is considered bourbon, even though Jack Daniels, et al claim to be a different class.

Bourbon is defined as:

made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn
    aged in new, charred-oak barrels
    distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)
    entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)
    and be bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)

Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period, but it must be aged at least briefly.

21. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: The Bourbon Thread (was: @ Myronwemissyinz)

Just gotta LOL!!!......Really???

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011

Surprised me too.

Also according to those agreements, any bourbon sold for consumption within the US (and Canada) must be MADE in the US to call itself "Bourbon." Bourbons brewed outside the US can be sold here, but cannot call themselves bourbon.

Then there's this:

"Jack Daniel's, is not considered a bourbon because it is charcoal-mellowed -- slowly, drop by drop, filtered through sugar-maple charcoal -- prior to aging, which many experts say gives it a different character. The process, called the Lincoln County Process, infuses a sweet and sooty character into the distillate as it removes impurities. But up to and after the charcoal filtering, the Jack Daniel's production is much the same as any other Bourbon. Jack Daniel's and George Dickel are two fine Tennessee Whiskeys though neither can be called bourbon."

I think that quote refers more to bourbon purists than a legal definition.

Also, only bourbon brewed in Kentucky is allowed to put the state name in the label.

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

According to NAFTA and International trade agreements, "Tennessee whiskey" is considered bourbon, even though Jack Daniels, et al claim to be a different class.
    I think you are exactly right about that. The legal definition of bourbon is extremely loose and extremly wide.

Copying from anothe post and adding comment from my Bourbon Trail learnings:

Bourbon is defined as:

made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn (But most makers are well above this 60-70% corn)
    aged in new, charred-oak barrels
    distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume) (Nearly every maker is way below this distilation proof in order to preserve the flavors from the yeast).
    entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume) (Nearly all are barreled below this proof)
    and be bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)

Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period, but it must be aged at least briefly. (I thought I was told that bourbon had to be barrel aged for a min of 2yrs, but I could be wrong, In any case even the minimally passable brands age 4 yrs, and I'm finding that I ain't interested in anything aged less than 6, preferable 8+).

I was told during the tours that about 90% of the worlds bourbons are distilled and aged in Kentucky (though many are bottled elsewhere). This is done for two reasons. First, Kentucky's limestone caverns take all the iron out of the water. Bourbons made in other places with iron in the water turn black in color when they age. Two, climate for aging. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. Temperature extremes are undesirable during the aging process.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011

One of the things that I find really ironic is that arguably the most recognizable whiskey in the world is distilled in a dry county in Lynchburg, TN. It is truly amazing to me that Moore County remains dry, when they make a pot of money from Jack Daniels in terms of tax revenue, community involvement from the company, revenue coming in to the community from tourists, etc. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011

You learn something new everyday. There's apparently a lot I don't know about bourbon.

Ha! Really? That's pretty strange. Are the surrounding counties dry as well? Just curious.