1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEER thread.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Sep 4, 2012.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That's new one to me. Keep us posted and I'll keep an eye open for it.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    AFAIK it just came out this month. VERY expensive though. Around $55 for a 4 pack! :eek: He just texted me earlier and asked if I wanted to go halves on one. More than a bit steep if you ask me, but I can't resist.

Later this month, Dogfish Head is set to release a barrel aged vanilla World Wide Stout. I can only imagine THAT price.

3. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    $55 a 4 pack? That's just crazy. Unfortunately we aren't allowed to sell a beer with an abv over 14.5-15%. So I'll have to find someone to mail me a bottle or two The that wws variant.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah thats just an unbearably hard lesson.

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm waiting to see if it'll even make it my way. I've heard the suggested retail price on the WWS variant is around $216 per case. But once stores get ahold of them and break them down / mark them up, who knows?

I'm beginning to think the whole "whale" culture with beer is getting out of hand. It's bad enough that some hard liquors are going overboard on price due to hype. Now it's hitting beer. Then again, some of us are stupid enough to buy it, so.... :lolol:

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Forgot to get back on that. It was a huge disappointment, especially for the price. Couldn't detect peanut at all (maybe a hint on the nose, but nothing on taste), and zero bourbon. Decent stout otherwise. Maybe a tiny hint of oak. Overrated and over-priced, IMHO.

I was skeptical about this, and posted so a while back, but one just "fell in my lap."

DKML.jpg

It was surprisingly good! Reminded me of Founder's Curmudgeon. But with some corn sweetness, and much boozier with a good bourbon nose, and some bourbon, vanilla and oak in the taste.

edit: speaking of Founder's. It's official that Backwoods Bastard will release this October. And they have another "Barrel Aged" beer coming in December. So far, no official announcement has been made as to what it will be. BUT, Founder's did register a certain label recently... http://beerstreetjournal.com/founders-cbs/ :eek::rawk::drinks:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nobody makes me want a beer quite like Ray does after every time I read his reviews :thumbs up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    They make me want a beer too.

So does Friday. And mowing the lawn. And a long day at work. And having the house to myself. And watching a movie at home. And watching football. And having a good "beer worthy" meal. And pizza. And the sun goes down. And daytime. And it's raining. And it's snowing. And it's sunny. and it's fall, or spring, summer or winter. And....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    At halftime, I drove a mile up the road to a distributor. Just looking to grab a simple case of beer. Maybe Trogenator (which they were out :(). Maybe Yard's George Washington Tavern Porter.

And then I saw it. A lonely case tucked in the back of Dogfish Head "Beer For Breakfast."

I've been searching for this beer for months. I could never find it at any of the beer gardens I went to. And here it is sitting at a little mom and pop distributor. Case only. But the price wasn't too bad considering how expensive some of their beers are.

Chilled a bottle to drink after the game. And it's very nice. I don't think it's better than Founders' Breakfast Stout. But it's a damn fine stout on it's own right. Smoky, tons of coffee, a little spicy, some molasses. Tastes pretty much like a good breakfast in a glass (minus any egg. That might be a deal breaker. lol)

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011

:confused1::shrug:

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Your description of Beer For Breakfast made me drool like Homer. :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL. Thought I was going crazy and not able to see the pic.

On a side note, earlier this year, I started a journey to try as many different styles of beer that I could. Granted, not all of them are easy to find either here, or possibly anywhere in this country.

But out of, I think, 155 styles, I'm up to 73. It's starting to get harder to find new ones. But a lot of certain styles, if made here, tend to be seasonal. Slower steps coming, but steady enough.

Out of all the styles I've tried, the one's I like very much, or even surprised me are:

Stouts (milk, irish dry, imperial, oatmeal, etc). No surprise there. I've always enjoyed stouts.
    Porters (ditto). Still looking for a Baltic Porter to try.
    Quads. More like a "dessert" beer. But quite nice. (Sadly, I'm not overly excited by Dubbles or Triples. They're ok, but not quite my thing)
    Extra Special / Strong Bitters. Misleading name, that. I don't find them bitter at all.
    Scotch Ales. I've never had a bad one.
    Old Ale.
    Irish Red Ale
    American Red Ale
    Belgian Strong, Pale, Dark, Strong Golden, and Strong Dark (hmmm... going to have to rethink my old statement of "I don't like most ales")
    Schwarzbier/ Euro Dark Lager / Dark Lager Not sure why the distinctions here other than possibly the brewing process. They all taste quite similar.
    Sours.

I still loathe most IPAs. Although I've found a couple that were tolerable. And oddly enough, the 2 IPLs I tried, I liked very much.

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Don't forget saisons, lambics, gueze...

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't care for Saisons.

Have a Lambic chilling.

I've never seen a gueze.

Edit: Drinking the Lambic-Framboise now. Wow, is this a taste bud wrecker! An insane amount of raspberry and extremely tart. But at only 2% give or take alcohol, almost feels like a waste, or some kind of juice drink.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Stopped into a local liquor store this morning and they have a keg of Cantillion Kriek. It’s pricey, but delicious.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Went to my first Beer Fest today (Lehigh Valley beer Fest). Between that and some experimentation at various tap houses / restaurants, one of 2 things is true (or maybe both): My tastes have changed/matured enough to actually enjoy IPAs/DIPAs, or I've been drinking the wrong ones.

Mind you, they're still not my favorite style. I'm still primarily a stout(Imperial/oatmeal/Dry/Milk)/porter kind of guy. But certain STRONG hop flavors don't bother me anymore.

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Everyone I know that hates an IPA has come around eventually.

On a slightly different note Founders CBS is set to be released 12/1 nationwide

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I saw that a few days ago. Judging how the last few Barrel Aged releases for Founders has gone around here, I'll have to break out my camping gear.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Just a couple days! I might try to buy everything my local store's entire allotment.

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Unless someone gets a surprise shipment, I'm SOL. Most places here didn't get any. The few who did got literally a few bottles at most. I got skunked all around.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

If you hadn't kicked the crap out of me in ffb I might have been able to help. :roflmao:

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I misspoke. I forgot you were talking about CBS. I thought you might be referring to BCBS... which I had zero luck obtaining.

Here's hoping my luck is better for CBS

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Well my plan of buying an entire allotment was foiled, but I did manage to score two bottles.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    So I had a Dr.s appointment this morning and so couldn't get to the one store I knew had CBS today on time. :( All sold out.

But on the bright side, I got hooked up with some BCBS. So it wasn't a total loss. And PA's distribution being a little wonky, some other sources may still get CBS in the next week or 2. All hope isn't lost yet.