1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE Depth

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 20, 2023.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But Write is primarily a RT, correct? I’m thinking we need a sure stud LT first.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wright was a left tackle who moved to the right side for his final season. Tennessee's coaches said that move was made because the team needed him there, not because he couldn't handle the left side, for what it's worth.

3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I agree Darnell Wright was a 4 year starter in the SEC. No tackle in the draft has been more battle tested than him. I still wouldn't mind him being our pick at #17.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Welp, that shows the flexibility that they covet.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Having 2 TEs who can both run block and threaten as receivers beyond just the short dumpoff areas makes 2 TE personnel sets very hard to defend. If the defense goes big, go play action to take advantage of the mismatches of your TEs vs LBs. If the defense goes small, run it down their throats. If we had another complete TE to pair up with Muth, our receiver depth beyond the 3 receiver becomes less important and less frequently used.

Again, I’m not advocating that we do that because we have bigger needs, especially in the secondary and the trenches, but we currently only have one complete TE. Gentry is a non-threat as a receiver despite his height, and Heyward has no inline blocking ability. Our 2 TE sets don’t put as much pressure on a defense as having a second complete TE would.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022

I do think Washington has the potential to be an excellent receiver, but he is a blocking beast. I do think Gentry has potential to improve his blocking.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player...buzz.com/Player/Darnell-Washington-TE-Georgia

Scouting Report: Weaknesses
    • Washington seems comfortable in traffic to the point where he doesn’t make the effort to create much separation
    • He has only average long speed doesn't have a second gear and certainly won't threaten the top of the defense
    • Was never really involved in the Bulldogs as offense as receiver to a great extent - was only targetted 45 times in three years of play
    • Because his top-end speed is decent-not-great, he doesn’t warrant safety help over the top and he'll only be regarded as a short-range threat

Scouting Report: Strengths
    • Washington is a huge tight end standing 6-7 and weighing in at 270lbs - who has the power and drive-blocking ability of a tackle
    • As a blocker Washington is elite, he stands out as elite as a run blocker and you could easily mistake him for a seasoned pulling guard
    • As a pass blocker he is outstanding and easily handles blitzing LBs on the edge. In the 72 instances when he was used strictly in pass protection he didn't give up a single pressure
    • Elite catch radius and has impressive soft strong hands to help pull down errant passes
    • He's a powerful open-field runner with agility, and surprising quickness and speed given his size
    • Knee-bend and technique are good and Washington shows decent power when his hands hit the target.
    • His long arms allow him to play bigger even bigger than his size, which is scary, and he has a frame that can carry even more weight
    • He’s a coordinated hands catcher who does a nice job digging out low throws. He’s very good with the ball in his hands, a violent runner after the catch, and often able to fend off defenders with a straight arm.
    • Washington has a tapered build and strong hands, ripping the ball back with ease when defensive backs manage to get a hold of it.
    • He’s very good in contested-catch situations, using his frame effectively to make plays facing the quarterback. He also shows a knack for high-pointing the ball, consistently outmuscling defensive backs.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Rank

Darnell Washington
    Georgia · TE · Junior
    A traditional in-line tight end, Washington is a massive physical specimen with outstanding play strength and toughness. He can power through press coverage with upper-body strength. He uses his long stride to build speed down the seam and provides an enormous target for his QB. He is a little clunky getting out of breaks, which limits his separation. However, it doesn't really matter because he can use his big body to shield off defenders. He has some "wow" contested catches where opponents just bounce off his frame. After the catch, he is shockingly fast and nimble (see: the hurdle vs. Oregon). He is a dominant run blocker, as he latches onto and displaces defensive ends with ease. Overall, Washington has tremendous value because he functions as a sixth offensive lineman in the run game and he's a moving billboard in the passing game.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ve seen reports where teams supposedly are considering if they should just have him put on more weight and make him a lineman.

That doesn’t scream big weapon in the receiving game. I just don’t think he will make as big impact there as others do.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean like Jason Peters???

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if he was the go to buy that may be a problem but add much to him and najee coming out of the backfield and yes he could easily be a threat. It makes a defense have to cover multiple threats. Plus run and pass blocking. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

Here is another opinion by this Steelers insider providing a great expanded statement on precisely my same thoughts. Sign me up…

• Like Like x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    See if Jessee james has interest in making the roster as #3 at vet minimum. Better than being unemployed see if there is anything left in the tank

• Like Like x 2
  13. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Only if they don’t do something fabulous in the draft. Then they have to find a roll player like that.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

This will please some people.

• Like Like x 1
  15. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    :roflmao: :hehehe: :drinks:

It’s ok, you can spell my name. I don’t bight.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

You’re not the only one though ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Im seeing the noise get louder in some other online publications and talking heads too.

Plus, he was brought in for a visit with the other Darnel (Write). I would be over the moon if those two were of our top three picks in any order.

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Wright was an average at best LT in 2021. It is when he moved back to the right side that every thing improved across the board in 2022.

Wright is a 1st round RT and a 3rd round LT. Hell there is a chance Dan Moore could beat him out of the starting LT job this year. There are 3 quality LTs that deserve to go in the 1st round, Wright is not one of them.

Isn't that one of Tomlins sayings, about allowing players to do what they do best, having Wright try to play LT is not allowing him to do what he does best.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The Steelers did that with a guy in the 70's. Helped win a couple of super bowls! Not saying they should draft him to do it, but it just brought back that memory.

• Like Like x 1
  20. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Or does it mean he’s not just a good blocker, but a great football player with size, strength, and a versatile skill set.

Was Lev Bell or now Deebo Samual any less of a RB because they are arguably just as good at a receiving or vice versa?

Have you watched his game tape? Nobody expects him to be a deep threat, but a great (huge) target at the sticks and beyond. Or a great blocker that sheds and becomes a dump off safety net?

The TE position for some reason hasn’t been exploited to what I think it’s fullest effect could be in the NFL, IMO.

The Pats came very close till Hernandez pissed it all away.

Problem in western PA though is Canada.

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Just watched SD live Walk the Mock. Somehow he was taken at 32 for some reason when that's such a glaring need for this team!

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    IDK

I like their bacon

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure where you are getting this stuff. It sounds like a lot of assumption. A guy got better his final year of college ball? Get out of here! That never happens!

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

:hehehe::smiley1::cool:

25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I leaning to agree with you here based solely on the little info that I heard on The Steelers Depot Terrible pod cast (that’s the name, NOT my opinion of the pod cast - I think it’s thee best Steelers analytical info out there along with DK Pittsburgh sports) where they were saying from doing an extensive review from a large sample size of Write playing both positions over his college career that his school basically shifted the best available player from one side to the other accordingly against great SEC competition and that Write performed at a really high level on both sides. They don’t know and will leave it up to whichever NFL staff drafts him where they either think he’s best or fits the need in their system.

Additionally, Write’s size measurable are fine for a tackle, but not ideal based on height, weight and arm length, that some teams might fit him best as even better guard. Yes, still a very solid and acceptable tackle at the NFL level.

However, Tomlin and the Steelers are always on record saying how much they value position flexibility. I’m going to assume every teams says something like that. But since the STEELERS don’t have an established top tier prototypical player in performance level aspect at either side, they might take Write until they one day land someone at one side or the other and utilize the flexibility he provides.

Or they just shoot for the stars and make moves to draft the prototypical size guy with hopeful projections to be (what I’m thinking they want now) as a franchise LT. They are probably fine with Chuks at RT for now and replace him next year.

I’m hoping they don’t plan draft RT Dewand Jones and then move Chuks to LT (which they’ve never seen) and now start this year with 4 out of 5 lineman starting a new line and hoping it all works out positively. It took a while for last years line to gel to an acceptable level and they already are seeming to slot the new guard from Philly in at LG and very likely going to draft a day one starter at LT and make that side of line much stronger.

I know that this isn’t the thread for it, but using that scenario with a new vet LG and a high level rookie LT who will still need to mature to NFL standards no matter how good he is - is also why I’m begging for them to draft Darnell Washington at TE fit pick 32 (doubt he falls to 49 - that would be an absolute steal) to aid both rookies on the left side mature and help each other progress to an efficient and highly productive ceiling. The left side would be an absolute bulldozer and brick wall depending on the play. They once they are up to speed after the half way point start the 12 man plays big time and this offense can really become dominant.

How’s that for pie-in-sky optimism and wild projection? :roflmao: :dancing: :drinks: :cool: