1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE Depth

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Gentry is actually a very good blocker. Also, what did you expect teams to do for a backup tight end who hasn't done much as a receiver?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That simply isn't true.

3. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Of course. And they are outliers. I’d say the odds of top draft pics like them play out more than they bust. Plus, those two players you referenced also had the misfortune of going to two of the perennial worst organizations. Maybe things would have gone much better for them is they landed elsewhere. But, that’s how this system works. Must suck to be a great player and land in a cesspool.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Then if had to guess or make an observation then throw a rank on him. All around, or just blocking or just receiving. I’d be interested to hear.

5. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Possibly, but I think his “hype” has mostly been in this thread here. Reading articles on lots of other players, he’s not getting too much of an extra bump.

Right, nobody is Gronk. But I think Muth could compare with Hernandez and I’m hoping Washington exceeds expectations. In fact, I think most people are holding back on hyping his potential. Call it a gut feeling - of mine - and nobody has any reason to hop on my bandwagon hunch. I get it.

And for what it’s worth, I’ve stated that I would take a lesser B-Version of the old Pats combo because 1) it would still be a devastating mismatch, and aside from the GOAT the other surrounding players of ours should project to be better or on par with that championship offense.

Here’s to hoping!

• Like Like x 1
  6. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Bring him in for his “ very good” blocking abilities behind their No.1 the same way the overwhelming vast majority of NFL teams do in their TE room.

I don’t and haven’t seen any team in over a decade who has tried to go heavy at creating a 1-2 punch when they already have a top TE.

I’d like to see us zig while others are zagging in this regard.

Georgia just won a national championship with Washington pair up with another very talented receiving TE. Maybe it works…

Some things in college do translate to the pros.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Very hard for TE’s though. Technique is so important for these taller players, Washington already has some inconsistencies with this but from what I watched he is a better blocking TE in college than Gentry was, I never saw Washington get pancaked like I saw Gentry.

I’m sure that is why Gentry’s blocking was lacking in comparison to 2021, he probably got sloppy with his technique. That can be corrected, he showed he can block better than he did last year. If he was as terrible at it as some would have you believe *cough* strummer *cough* they wouldn’t have brought him back. He’s here for his blocking, why bring back a TE known for his blocking if he can’t block.

And receiving, I just dont think Washington will be the weapon you guys think he will be. Just hard when you are that big, he can’t separate in college he sure as heck won’t in the pros. He’ll be limited in that regard same as Gentry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Gentry is brought back because he is cheap and as a 3rd insurance tight end he’s a fantastic option.

Now, here I go using Gronk as an example. He was able to seperate and wasn’t a first round pick. I’m hoping (once again) Washington’s receiving abilities and opportunities develop with us. And with his huge hands and enormous wing span combined with his 40 time maybe he doesn’t have to separate as much as a WR and just has to haul in contested catches the defenders are outsized and out man-ed to win.

Just like Tribisky, I like Gentry, just down the depth chart and at appropriate pay for their value.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They didnt bring back a guy that can’t block, that makes no sense. Cheap or not. He’s their blocking TE, they already use him as an extra lineman, they like how he matches up against DE.

Yeah Gronk isn’t a high bar at all :lolol:

Gronk is a freak but if we draft Washington I hope you are right.

10. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you misunderstand me or are exaggerating or I misstated something.

Gentry can block pretty good, but he’s best suited as a third level TE in a depth chart and now earning an appropriate salary he just signed. Pretty good = just below average at the NFL level IMO.

Of course Gronk is the high bar. And because he is it’s almost unfair to use him as a comparison. I can only think of 5 TE’s in my years of watching football that are worth of being in the conversation with him.

Gonzales
    Kelsey
    Gates
    Winslow Sr.

just below
    Clarke
    Whitten
    Miller (homer here)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Of course Washington is an upgrade over Gentry. That isn't in dispute. The question is whether or not the steelers have the draft capital to spend on a TE2 or TE3 this year. With so many other glaring needs, it doesn't make sense IMO for the steelers to try and draft a TE in rounds 1-3.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, I truly understand why other people think that way. Just think differently.

IMO - a dual threat TE with his huge measurables, and hopeful upside creates a two birds with one stone homerun if it works out.

We need trench help - he checks that box. We need slot receiving help and he AND Muth check that box.

I am seein them as TE 1A and 1B. Each compliments the others weaker talent duty while each work on and develop their opposing weakness.

Mismatch hell for other teams and def NOT what I want to see in our division against us.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The 'fantasy' is nice, but as you said the reality is is something far different. I remember when they drafted Spaeth in the 3rd (?) a year or two after Heath. I do not recall anything spectacular happening, on his 2nd stint here he was a really good blocker, but there was not any 2 grand TE schemes. If the Steelers went that route, then you are quite correct..they need to get the best 1/1a combo to make it a true threat. Thing is the Steelers have never used the TE position like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I hope that’s on the field only

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I’m hoping for an adjusted approach or progression.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Really

If TE 2 intent is as a receiver they will be like the 6th-7th receiver in the pecking chart

If you are drafting a TE2 as a blocker why not draft a tackle that serves multiple functions

17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I’m praying LT at 17 and a GREAT TE at 32.

And who says the TE’s are at that spot in reads or pecking chart? It’s how the play and offense is designed. The tight ends could have a handful of plays designed where they are the 1st AND 2nd read of the play.

One thing that hasn’t been discussed enough in *this thread* is that no matter what they do in the TE room the true X-Factor in all of this is Matt Canada.

Here everyone is trying to be excited about the coming season and we/they still chose to bring back a guy that has yet to show any reason the fan base should be looking for a significant jump in any aspect.

I sure hope they know there is a rabbit in his hat that will take everyone by storm. Or his contract is up and everyone starts guessing again under a new OC. Just great…

Anyone wanna take an opposing bright side opinion of him? Talk about how they got better after the bye week? PPG increased by 2 I think it was. Gah head…

18. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not sure what your point is.

19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah. A tackle serves run blocking and pass blocking. A TE also helps there AND receives. That versatility at the position is exactly why I think almost all teams under use the position.

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would love it, and anything is possible, just saying the history of the steelers the TE position was kind of a secondary thought. Had to be a good blocker, then a few designed plays. Heath probably had the greatest steeler TE career and IMO he was under utilized. Cam was on Cowherd last week and was asked about KP and the need to progress as the NFL is no longer a 60 per cent plus running game. (OK a bit sketch, but you get the point). Cam acknowledged that, but also said the best defense is keeping the opponents O off the field. No problem with that, and building a two TE offensive plan is how some O's are working it, but you need the right personnel as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm also hoping for a 1st round OT. Just disagree on the TE pick that high. I'd prefer DB, ILB, maybe even a C with the next pick

23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I understand that. And if I didn’t think we had a chance at a really dynamic (operative word there folks) TE with massive measurables then I’m with you. But I’d go LT, DB, DT, and then WR or LB. But the loss of a solid SS really throws some new confusions in the mix. I think we need to make some trades to gather some picks - Tribisky and Dotson.

Even I don’t want a TE with the first pick when we need a franchise game changing OT OR DT first. I’d even take a lights out corner that the organizational evaluators think is their guy in the first round. I’m hoping Washington is a steal in the second that people eventually cannot believe slipped.

And I do NOT want the Bungles getting this monster.

Darnell Washington measurements/stats
    6’7”
    264lbs.
    Hands 11”(!!!)
    Reach 34-3/8”
    40 yard - 4.64
    Shuttle 4.08
    3 cone — ?
    Bench 21 reps
    Vertical 31”
    Broad 10’-2”

Not many TE’s measure up. Then he blew up the sled MUCH further and faster that the others.

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/te/all-colleges/

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be shocked if the Bengals elected to get Washington as Tee Higgins insurance + another weapon for Burrow. Given how the contracts of both Burrow and Chase are coming up very soon, odds are that Higgins will want to look for greener pastures elsewhere. As such, acquiring a failsafe option in Washington is a great play for the Bengals. Now, such a move will give me concern as I currently don't see much many, if any Defensive Back in the game can do about him. However, such is the nature of adding such pieces; give your team the best possible odds of winning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Should a number of options be exhausted by pick 32, I would sprint to that damn podium for Darnell Washington. It is no secret that he is one of my favorite draft crushes without question. However, for any of this to actually happen, finding out the full details of Zach Gentry's Contract will be paramount as that will dictate how high the team will select a Tight End. Mind you that this is easily the most stacked Tight End Class within the past three seasons and one of the most stacked classes in the past five; arguably seven. Pittsburgh will not be searching much for one as there are is excellent talent and depth at the position this season.

In the event that someone like Darnell Wright from the University of Tennessee is available?! I'd do the same thing; sprint do the damn podium. People really need to understand that, outside of Matthew Bergeron from the University of Syracuse, no other Offensive Tackle had a tougher gauntlet of pass rushers that Wright did. It is not just the best player in the class in Will Anderson Jr either; BJ Ojulari from LSU, Gervon Dexter from the University of Florida, Calijah Kancey from the University of Pitt, Nolan Smith from the University of Georgia and Brian Breese from the University of Clemson. Again, outside of Bergeron, no other Offensive Tackle faced such a gauntlet.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy if Darnell Wright made it to 32.... I'd be ecstatic and over the moon!! :dancing:

• Like Like x 1