1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE Depth

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 20, 2023.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Was hoping Gentry would be resigned. Anyone who was thinking about tight end with one of the first 3 picks really doesn't understand the real needs and tight end is low on the totem pole.

Left Tackle, Corner, Defensive Tackle. Then OLBer in the 3rd.

The trenches need to continue to built which is the foundation. Corner who will be tutored by Peterson.

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bringing back Gentry was the right call. If they really like the value of one of those tight ends in the draft, they can still take him. Maybe Washington or Mayer on day two, but I wouldn't count on it. Offensive tackle, defensive tackle, cornerback, and inside linebacker are all bigger needs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Doesn't matter who we have playing offense. We still have Matt Canada calling the plays. Until that changes I don't see much hope for the offense

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A huge TE like Washington is trench help.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Gentry is same size and weight. 6’8” 265lbs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    And is he above average, average or below average? Blocking and receiving?

Couldn’t we get his level of production out of (hopefully) a good to great rookie or so much more? And for cheaper, even though he now comes cheap. In fact, Gentry is GREAT as our #3 option.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Took a step back in his blocking last year, he was better in 2021 but he can certainly get back to that.

I think Gentry is a a good number 2. He’s a huge body to take on those DE and can catch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agreed, I had already posted had no qualms about giving him a tender, they took a gamble and it worked out. In retrospect I am questioning the decision about Sims, I get that he was not 'all' that, But the tender and then cutting Gunner would have been a wash in Cap, and IMO better for the team. The 4 or 5 receiver is not life or death, but we just cannot seem to find the return guy that is not only dependable, but puts fear in the opposing team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not saying we should take Washington early, but it doesn’t take more than a few minutes of watching to see that Washington offers a ton more upside as a receiver than Gentry.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So does He hold a ton of upside over Muth???

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Probably not. At least not potential that he’s likely to reach. But, if he makes a reasonable step forward over the next couple of years he and Muth could form the best 2 TE set in the league.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    To answer your REAL question, no he doesn’t play defense :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    good point.

i've heard that this year's crop of TEs is the best crop this century. we could have gotten an NFL TE in the 5th or 6th round.

17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I refuse to get excited about any of our offensive prospects as long as Matt Canada is the OC.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I just find it funny that the catch phrase with Washington is having another lineman, meanwhile we have a player the same exact size that they already use formation over tackle.

I’ve watched Washington and also went back and watched Gentry’s college tape, Gentry is a better route runner more fluid, Washington is a better blocker. I see Washington facing the same limitations in the passing game as Gentry at the pro level.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Every year fans talk about trading back, this year I can see it actually happening just for that reason. Maybe grab another 3rd and a 5th. Or just an extra second, that would be nice, three second round picks. Could use one of those on the better TE’s if they wanted to.

• Like Like x 2
  20. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

I’m not trying to throw shade or argumentative, but is your player evaluation up up to the task? Sure his size is similar, but Gentry was picked pretty late and deep in his draft pool while Washington has been mostly graded 2nd or 3rd best TE in his *supposedly* deep draft class. And coming from a two time back to back national championship squad. At least we know he can perform against top competition in the biggest games.

All I seem to be reading is that Washington is an upgrade over Gentry.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sure he would be an upgrade, but they have so many other positions that are higher priorities. It doesn't seem worth it to use an early second-round pick on a tight end whose primary strength is blocking, something they already have in Gentry.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Without the blocking or receiving ability.

if he was worth a hill of beans why weren’t any other teams clamoring to sign him?

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he’s this years great hype machine. 1st or 2nd rd better be a lot more than “upgrade over Gentry”.

This whole recreate what NE did is fantasy anyway. Gronk is the greatest TE ever, Muth is no Gronk and Henrandez is light years ahead of Washington.

If you are trying to maximize offense with two TE sets then Kincaid is who you should be targeting. Best receiving TE in this class.

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And Baker Mayfield was a 1st pick in the draft...Clowny(spelling???)
    was can't miss....,and so on, and so on....nobody....not You, not Me, not anyone knows forsure where these players should go.

• Like Like x 1
  25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Except Gentry’s blocking is below average and provides little in this attribute.