1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE Depth

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 20, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I say Washington because it would be like having a 6th OL on the field, although they have bigger needs than TE #2.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't think so....No freaking way the Steelers didn't know He wasn't coming back after the chicken feed they gave Him last year.....they weren't going to offer Him anymore.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mayer is a very good blocker, he enjoys it, likes the contact. Scouts say he is more pro ready in that regard than most TE’s coming out of college.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Matt Canada

Sorry I just wanted to stick that in before one of the resident trolls had a chance :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not loving the idea of retaining Gentry as our #2 TE because I’m thinking they now ignore it in this deep draft class for the cheap rookie upgrade.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I like it. I think Gentry is better than he gets credit for. He was a project when they drafted him and has come along nicely to where he can actually play the position now and plays it well.

I also think people should give Heyward a chance. If his usage down the stretch is anything to go by I expect him to be am important part of the offense.

Gentry can block and help the ground game and catch passes when called upon, Muth and Heyward are the offensive weapons and block fairly well. Defenses can’t key on anything depending on who is in there because they can all do everything which is a big plus to keeping defenses honest.

I know some are dreaming of the NE blueprint but there are only so many players you can spread the ball around too.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This makes sense to me when we have so many other needs. Drafting a TE to be a #2 or #3 seems like a luxury that we can't afford right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Gentry is 6-8, throw him a high pass and who could defense it in the end zone or anywhere. Are his hands that bad?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    We have had 6'6 TEs and tall WR in the past couple, seems like forever someone has been saying that, but it was never mastered or let alone tried.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They have too many holes, and not enough draft picks, re-signing Gentry might allow them to address other positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Yea this is one I dont get. I understand not giving the tender, but at this point giving him a one year contract is would not be much more than a rookie. If nothing else it provides a body in camp who knows the system. If the plan is to go another direction at least have proven depth in case your guy is not there and for injury. Get through camp, if he does not make the cut you are not out much. if anything.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Yeah, you would think, but it doesn't happen much with these physical giants. Some great ones played college basketball like Antonio Gates or both college football and basketball like Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez. They know how to shield out the defender while going to the ball.

I read Gentry was a high school QB and had offers from Michigan, Texas and Alabama, took Michigan where Harbaugh converted to TE

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  13. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I see this signing as an insurance policy only. It won't prevent us from drafting a TE. What it does is it keeps us from having to reach for a TE. This allows us to stick with BPA. I like it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s also their emergency QB. He converted from QB to TE.

With no 5th and 6th rd pick I dont really see a scenario where they draft a TE.

The value would have to be so much greater over more pressing needs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    So many players? You make it sound as if we are stacked. We have no more and def LESS game changing players on offense than most other teams.

KFP - Right now, below average and rising.
    Najee - Slightly above average and hopefully still rising.
    DJ - Solid mix of very good and frustratingly middling or bad. He isn’t getting any better. He I s who he is At this point.
    Pickens - If he can keep his head on straight and then learn how to separate better and improve his rout running and not rely so much on supremely athletic and contested catches he will most likely be a super star.
    3rd WR - Who is he???
    Freirmuth - Just above average and also hopefully still getting better in receiving, but still not the best in the league and below average blocker.
    Gentry - Average to below average at both receiving and blocking? He fills me with inertia. I like him as our 3rd TE.
    Heyward - Who knows exactly what he is, how good he is and how good he might be at this point. And that includes the coaching staff.

So, the ball still has places to go and not dominated by any one person or group. Nothing is outstanding - including the coaching staff or game planning.

I’m in a foul mood today and partially because of what I think this signing is signaling. I was hoping to see the team make a jump in free agency while we have a rookie QB in the salery cap and then fill in some spots with cheaper guys and the draft.

Now, I just see us inching forward (hopefully).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m glad we kept Gentry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It always amazes me when people say they have so many holes to fill and not enough draft picks and then the team signs a low tier player who is a known quanity that fills a hole and doesn't use up a draft pick and then fans aren't happy about it. Gentry is solid depth and the bonus is that if they don't re-sign Watt or another fullback they can use Heyward and then Muth and Gentry at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but they never listen to Me.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If KFP takes a step forward......everyone You named, and others will also take a step forward.

20. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    DJ’s stats will improve, but he as a player I think has is maxed out. And he’s good. Very good even (when he’s not doing those few things that drive us nuts).

But he walks away after this season and as it stands the Steelers will have nothing to soften the loss or get something from it.

But if they can find a good trade partner for his services…

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    DJ is under contract for two more years, so I doubt he will be walking away :shrug:.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Your evaluations aside which I don’t agree with at all, thats 7 players plus you left our Warren so that’s 8. Not including KFP unless he throws it to himself.

So yeah, again there are only so many balls to go around. DJ is good for about 10 targets a game, Pickens 8, Austin (your 3rd WR) 4 or 5 maybe? We’ll say 4 so that makes 22 targets just between those three. Harris 4, Warren 3, Muth 5, Heyward 3 targets maybe? Another 15 targets, up to 37 now.

I didn’t include Gentry because your boy would get those targets. How many you think he will get? How many times is Kenny throwing it? Especially since it looks like they want to focus on the ground game.

Too many mouths to feed. Washington a rookie isn’t just going to come in and dominate targets.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I left out down the line players like Warren (who I love like most fans) and Gentry because their targets are very small and usually safety net dump offs once a play breaks down unless it’s a run.

Austin - I’m am really hoping that guy is who we all hope and not some unlucky bastard who got caught up in some injury universe. I’m far more optimistic about him and less pessimistic.

Washington - I’m not even concerned about him getting many passes until maybe late this season or next. What I am hoping from him and his size is that he’s a dynamic big blocker for the run game and pass blocking while learning the system and playing in the NFL at first. And hoping his size if he breaks down field keeps LBs and SS’s honest shadowing him. His targets would hopefully come with maturation. But if he broke out as a stat threat right away nobody would be upset.

I won’t keep harping, but where this team seems to be trying to build - a potent offense, by bolstering the o-line while also needing slot help; a very strong prospect in a TE is the one, very unique position, that helps all areas. Having two, if Muth keeps his development is dynamic and almost unstoppable.

I did forget that DJ is here for longer than one season. I thought he signed a two year deal at the beginning of last season. Regardless, I still don’t think he stays for a 3rd contract and as good as he is I’d rather they really utilize all their experience and parlay a trade with him into a scenario that maximizes his value. If they did it with Claypool they should easily be able to do it with DJ. But Simms leaving has probably made this all moot. They can’t start a season with this few WR’s that have very little NFL experience.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    We don't either, but we accept you. At least you have that. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    You are correct. Matt Canada will stop the steelers offense single handedly.