1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE Depth

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You think a rookie TE that is 4th on the depth chart will play game one? Really?

I didn’t say anything about not drafting one because it’s a hard position to learn, I was responding to you thinking he would play the first game and not only play but make an immediate impact.

I thought we were just talking here.

2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Yes, if (big if) he’s drafted, I think he pushes Gentry down the draft chart by game 1. I have zero to base it on except that I know it’s not his size that would hold him back. I’ve watched Gentry play, he never jumps off the screen. Trust me, I look for him in those sets just hoping something comes of those rare plays. He’s like void (film reference). He’s not a pushover or a needle mover. I think Washington will supplant him and make a mark with some blocking. His receiving will come soon enough. They didn’t re-sign Gentry to a puny one season deal after knowing him this long because he’s in their future. He’s insurance. Insurance incase the TE they draft is a total bust or just injury concerns. If they pick him at 32 or (please!) I bet he’s shown that he has the fast track to the other side of the line.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I have no doubt Washington would supplant Gentry eventually and maybe they would even cut Gentry if they draft Washington but I see his opportunities being limited if Gentry is on the team until he gets up to speed.

It’s not impossible though, I checked Muths first season and he was in from the get go.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    heyward didn't play his first year early either. nor did troy. they have changed some things since those days. pickens was limited as well as a rookie. most are but not like it used to be. depends how fast these players pick it up and their play times increase as the year goes on. their roles also increase as they learn. if washington is picked, his role will expand as he learns and as the offense evolves. same as any other rookie. :cool:

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You claimed he would increase production of the No. 2 tight end by a "justifiable level." I took that to mean justifying a first-round pick. To me, that would mean at least doubling his reception total. If you want to quibble over whether or not that is a huge share, go for it, but the facts simply don't fit your argument.

Look at your excuse for Washington catching so few passes in college. He would have to share the targets with the Steelers, too. Pickens, Johnson, and Freiermuth would all definitely get a much larger share of the targets. Robinson likely will as well. This is in what is likely to be a run-oriented offense, but you think there are suddenly going to be all these extra targets available for the No. 2 tight end?

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Heath Miller contributed immediately, too, but that is unusual for a tight end. That is a position that traditionally takes longer to contribute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    No, pick 17 is too rich for him unless they trade way back. I highly doubt it shakes out like that.

I’ve always lobbied for him to be picked at 32 or 49. Amazing to get him at 49. We have way too far greater pressing needs at LT and CB and hopefully won’t be picking this low for a long time again so, they gotta shoot for a franchise LT now or what we’d need to give to get one in another draft picking later would be too costly to get into franchise position.

I don’t think our offense is yet stacked like their college team was picking up huge yardage chunks with fewer snaps. So, if it’s true we are trying to get back to a more clock consuming running offense there should be some more snaps for him to be involved. Plus, the safety check down target he could be after shedding a block from someone rushing the QB.

I don’t think this team in this era will operate the same as when Miller came to town. Especially if they draft a player with his measurables and skill set. They will likely be making a more concerted effort to more 12 man. If they pick him or another TE that should clue us all in on what model they are trying to build. At least looking at it from this season. If they choose a different position or TE late then I’m thinking they are still trying to work out a more traditional 11 man scheme as a “base” offense.

Friday will answer the debate is how I’m seeing it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Its 19 more than DIantae

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Alex Kazora ain’t dumb.

AC6C3047-5A27-462A-9D90-52B00D6F6BCE.jpeg 333EA6EA-5833-4A36-8CDB-C7DA007CF71D.jpeg 333EA6EA-5833-4A36-8CDB-C7DA007CF71D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    STILL HERE!!! :herewego!:

:wave: :duel::razz: :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
  12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would love Washington at 49. The Steelers need one more offensive weapon to keep their defense off the field and rested. The key to winning football is 3rd down, conversions on offense, stops on defense. The offense needs a variety of skill players to help Pickett be successful on third down.

• Winner Winner x 1