1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Bowl XXX

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by tylerlikesthesteelers, May 12, 2021.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    When my daughter was in school she became good friends with Sid Bream's daughter so I got to talk with him quite a bit. He told me something that I didn't know about that final inning. He said Bobby Cox had used all of his position players already so if he would have been out the Braves would have had to play the rest of the game with a pitcher in the outfield.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to nitpick but this site was just a twinkle in TTF's eye back then. It would have been that old Steeler Team MB which was actually worse and more frustrating than the SD and Dallas losses combined. :noose:

Edit - Sorry Sod, I misread. You were speaking in modern context, not 1995. My Bad. But still, that old MB sucked big time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Tell that to Mrs Lincoln. "BTW Mrs. Lincoln, other than that other thing, how was the play? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, the days when I had to log off and back on after every post I made in order to post again.

Good times!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    No sh!t? Never knew that. Interesting tid bit. I can still see Chico booting that grounder. Doug Drabek was brilliant in that game. It's a damn shame. Now we've had to put up with 26 out of 29 years of futility. And as long as the Nuttings own the team, I really don't see better days on the horizon. My father died in 1993. The only thing good that came out of it was he didn't have to suffer through this sh!t show. He was as passionate about Pirates baseball as anyone I ever knew.

Sid Bream seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I wonder if he ever felt a tiny twinge of remorse for the way his old team lost that game. I'll never forget seeing Patrick Hornquist briefly breaking out in tears on the bench after he scored what proved to be the game winner against Nashville in the '17 SCF. I can't help but think they were tears of joy mixed with a little sympathy for his old team and fan base. I miss him, he was a real blood and guts warrior.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  6. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm a relative newbie, so I never experienced the dark days of TSF.

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    For sure - and then when we actually made it a game and then LOST, it was crushing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’d rather be the heavy underdog team that gets lucky in the super bowl lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I threw every single person out of my apartment that evening right after the game ended except for my girlfriend. They were all Bungles fans.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Been there done that.
    Loss 2 the Chargers AFCC game. I did exactly that.
    I said out You bad Luck MFs. NOW.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    In the voice of the legend... Jim Mora. "Playoffs?!?!?!?!"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    My cousin had my wife and I and several other people at her place for the game. As soon as it was over, with out saying a word, I put on my coat and walked out to the car. My wife joined me several minutes later. It's a half hour drive home and not a word was said. In fact, not a word was said until after work the next day when my wife admonished me for being ignorant and not saying goodbye and thanking our hosts for having us. So, I called my cousin and apologized, but her and her husband weren't offended. They know me. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 3
  13. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    That's one of the best answers to a stupid question I ever heard. "We can't even win a game and you wanna talk about PLAYOFFS?"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I miss those kind of post game press conferences. Jim Mora, Denny Green, Mike Singletary and Herm Edwards. Classic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sid Bream used to hunt my property with my neighbors. He is a nice guy.

I was at a convention in Pittsburgh where he was the speaker. He started by very well addressing “that game”. He is also a good speaker.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    As the story goes: "Remember when Sid Bream was rounding third...". Years later Van Slyke recalled how he motioned for Bonds to move way in just before that blooper to left (which most likely would have caught Sid between 3rd and home and very likely thrown out.......but Bonds flipped him off and stayed deep. No surprise there. The rest is history all the way around.

Got to meet Bream, Bonilla, Spanky and Drabek (all very nice gentlemen) in San Francisco in late April 1990 when they were playing the Giants. I was (unknowingly) staying at same hotel as the Pirates and I had just returned from a nice victory at Candlestick when the team bus pulled up and they all walked into the lobby. I followed Drabek into the bar where he was sipping a cold one after pitching a great game and hitting a home run. I presented him with my score card from the game and signed it. I told him it was for good luck and that I thought they were going to have a great season. He laughed a bit and said it was a long season to go. Well.......they merely went on to win the NL East (95-67), Bonds won the NL MVP, Leyland got Manager of the Year and Drabek won the Cy Young by a landslide, going 22-6. I'm not sure but I'd like to think that Drabek held onto that scorecard and taped it to the inside of his locker each time he pitched that season. I mean, what other explanation is there? :smiley1:

Here's a nice read on that 1990 team that began a very good 3 year run.

https://www.thesportsnotebook.com/1990-pittsburgh-pirates/

• Like Like x 3
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We haven't been ready for the playoffs since Troy left. :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    The Cowboys were a better team. They were loaded. What's frustrating is how beatable they were that day. The Steelers just made too many mistakes on offense and it cost them.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Your avy disgust me.

20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I love your "avy". :thumbs up:

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Same with XLV team...too many mistakes on offense. BenR was almost as bad in XLV as NOD was in XXX. Rodgers put on a clinic that day. If it weren't for Packers WRs and TEs dropping so many balls....XLV would have been a blowout.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe if they threw pass interference on a play or 2 , and Troy P wasn't injured we would have spanked GB in the SB.
    Hell C. Woodson pass interfered so bad he got injured on the play...yet no flag.
    Also Rogers completed, I believe exactly same amount of passes as Ben.

23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

It's been a long time and kinda hard to remember but I think I threw them all out right after the NOD 2nd INT. They were all wooping it up cause they hated the Steelers. I believe I had a case of temporary insanity and kicked them all out and the GF got mad at me. Thinking back I did watch the end of the game all alone.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.
    Sometimes its better that way.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree on Troy and C. Woodson in XLV, but NOD probably completed more passes than Aikman in XXX. (Jokes aside to the ones to Larry Brown) Somebody look it up...I'm too lazy.

• Like Like x 1