1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephan Tuitt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If he really did game the system, he deserves every bit of criticism that he gets. To claim mental distress due to the loss of a loved one would make it even more disgusting.

Also, your analogy is flawed. Most of us don't already have millions of dollars in the bank.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Utpittsburghfan

Utpittsburghfan Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2018
    they should have told him to F off. He raped the Steelers. End of story.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he really did.

they bent OVER BACKWARDS for him, he stole money and then screwed us, to be REAL

4. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    And waited till after the draft ,I believe, to say he wasn't coming back.Total ***** move in my options

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes he didn't handle the situation right. The Steelers did and had the patience to wait. It's water under the bridge.

6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Is it really though? DL is still considered by many our most pressing need. His position and production.

Plus, supposedly he’s still absorbing 4 million in cap space that can’t be used for other signings. And it’s needed badly.

I think fans are in every right to be critical.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I thought when you retire, they still have to pay it, but it no longer counts against the cap?

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think any of Tuitt's contract is still counting against their cap, fans don't know his mental state, he didn't want to play anymore fans need to get over it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    $4,755,000 2023 cap hit per overthecap and spotrac

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I said he didn't handle the situation right. It is criticism. But it is water under the bridge. If you think that Tuitt is the only player still on the books since he's been gone your uninformed.

They will draft a stud defensive tackle. They resigned Ogunjobi.

The Tuitt situation was a sad end to his career. Losing his brother did him in plus I believe his injuries got the best of him. He should have made the decision sooner for sure. But its time to move on brother and look forward to the 2023 season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes it is part of the cap. See jeh's post.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Was he ever named to a Pro bowl?

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Okay, looked into it. When a player retires base salary goes away. All that is left is the guaranteed money/signing bonus that goes against the cap.

So essentially we could have cut him and would have been on the hook for the same amount.

Apparently when a player retires the team has a right to try to get some of that guaranteed money back, but given the situation ... that would be pretty heartless.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    No, but he should've made it the year he had 11.5 sacks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We all know the Pro Bowl selection haven't meant anything in a long long while. We see every year Guys make it that shouldn't, and Guys that should don't. It's a popularity contest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Why are we still talking about Tuitt? Anyone who bashes Tuitt for the decisions he had to make needs to take a look in the mirror. The man had a personal tragedy. While some people on this board may want to blame him exclusively for the timing of his decision, they need to remember that the Steelers granted him the time and the latitude to deal with what he had to deal with. I believe he had every intention on coming back.

I commend the Steelers for doing what most employers (pro sports or otherwise) would never do and show compassion to an employee going through something that no one should ever have to deal with.

I would hope as fans we could show the same type of compassion.

Rant over. Carry on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

Yeah, all that makes sense in regards to the rule and how the Rooney’s are “moving on” with it.

As well as some others who’ve made some statements about how “nobody” would turn down the free money. But given how he already absorbed so much payroll for doing nothing, I think there is a small minority of people who would wave if off since they haven’t earned it and there is people negatively effected by choice to absorb the cap money = my fellow team mates who aren’t able to get the extra help they need on the field and the good fans who experience the loss in their teams production reflected on the score board.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Tuitt's intent was to just get some free money from the Steelers without playing, some of you fans act like it was your money he took :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Nope. Just my happiness.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Tuitt retired a year ago

I’m surprised we never had this discussion

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

I posted way earlier in the thread where I agree and also disagree.

I personally know when working on a team of people and having another TEAMmember need grace and then also seeing them take advantage of such grace and leaving US in the learch picking up the slack and pulling their weight when it’s time for them to get back to doing their part.

Look, I know it looks like I’m coming across here, and maybe I haven’t been crystal clear in my distinctions (or people just don’t want to read them) but I think I have been.

Again, in the real world, I don’t know of anyone else who’s suffered a major tragedy and I’ve known of MANY just like any of us. I’ve suffered my own. But I’ve never heard of anyone ever getting THAT/THIS much grace and time away while reaping in literally MILLIONS for years.

But people like me are wrong for giving a side eye 9 months plus down the road???

Nah…

I’m very sorry for his difficult loss, but it’s had a ripple effect too in the area of public opinion. Fine quit, but filling the bag on the way out is going to make pause. Especially in year TWO!

Lucky you aren’t having to defend his position in year three… four…. Or when would you draw your line? I wouldn’t have brought it up if it wasn’t still affecting us this year.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But he didn't, he stole from the Steelers.Maybe he should pay them back?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not your money, the Steelers didn't have a problem with him, he was also dealing with an injury.

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Oh well, he doesn't owe you anything.

25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Owe? Never said that.