1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers vs Jets Official Game Day Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The field goal would have put them up six, not seven, so the Jets still could have driven down the field to win it with a touchdown.

The game was not wrapped up at all before that drive. The Jets had just scored a touchdown to pull within three with over seven minutes remaining. Pickett got the Steelers in position to put the game away, but the play before the interception, they lost five yards. Now if you want to blame Pickett for that because he made a poor pitch, that's fine. I absolutely hate that play call because the risk of exactly that outcome, a big loss out of field goal range, isn't worth it. Better to run something inside with Harris.

You just keep taking worse and worse positions to support your false claim that Pickett cost the Steelers the game. He didn't. The defense did.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Don’t rewrite history. first possession ended in a Pickett interception. Minkah made a great play and gave the offense first and goal from the 4(?). It’s not as though he threw the team on his back and marched them down the field.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You’re living in a fantasy land by discounting the turnovers. They were terrible decisions and you know it.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Absolutely! And it takes a big man to admit that. Proud of you. :thumbs_up:

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    All good points, once again.
    I'm going to start reading your posts more often.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    For the record, Pickett said today he got ZERO first team reps in practice this week. He said he got mental reps to prepare as much as possible, but didn’t run with the ones at all.

• Like Like x 3
  7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Part of the reason we “had that game wrapped up” was because Pickett came in and gave the offense a spark, something Mediocre Mitch hasn’t been able to do so far this season! He made some rookie mistakes, BIG FREAKING DEAL. Geez, man, did you not see anything out of Pickett today that you felt was positive and that the offense can build on? If not, your bias is much worse than I thought.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well at least on the Hail Mary we seen His arm is way stronger than Trubiskys.....:shrug:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My Friend.....why are You so upset ????

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    His dislike for Pickett is downright bizarre. Fine to be critical of his rookie mistakes, but I don’t understand his utter disdain for the kid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm aware of where the drive started. Fact is that the guy rushed for two TD's. So, I'll ask again; WTF did you see out of Trubisky's game in the first half that inspired you with blind faith that he would have turned it around in the second half?

• Like Like x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It almost sounds like the coach is flying by the seat of his pants. Lucky the kid didn't get hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Honestly, it’s a credit to Pickett that he played as well as he did with no real prep time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. Now We shall see....Will He learn from His mistakes without letting it cripple His game.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The second one was a terrible decision. The first was not. That you don't realize it shows you really have no idea what you are talking about. He had Claypool in a great position against a 5-foot-8 safety. He has to take that shot. He is in there because Trubisky is afraid to take that shot. He does need to make a better throw, but even then the interception was more on Claypool than Pickett.

I also see that you are glossing over the many errors in your previous post rather than acknowledging them. A field goal there would have put the Steelers up six points, not seven, as you incorrectly stated. The game was not at all wrapped up. The defense, which lost two starting defensive backs during the game, had just given up a touchdown and the lead was down to three. That is not in any way wrapped up. They were in a great position to add to the lead, but it was Pickett who put them there. You refuse to acknowledge that or the fact that his play helped get them the lead that the defense squandered.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett came in and helped lead them to a 10 point lead and you want to put the loss squarely on his shoulders. This is laughable. You’re not ok with losing no matter who the QB is and yet you made every excuse under the sun for Trubisky but want to hang the rookie in his first ever NFL action. The passes he made aren’t nearly as bad as you are trying to make them out to be. Claypool once again failed at a contested catch and I see veteran QB’s attempt passes like that all the time.

The team had no chance with Trubisky and you wanted to stick with him because he plays well in practice. Awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All I can say is I've seen Trubisky throw about 9 really great passes all year(3, and a half games), and I saw Pickett throw 5 great passes in one half.
    Also saw a team that actually believed on offense for once this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ok Blast, just for you I will call my good buddy Rog and tell him not to have it flexed

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    1st pick was Mitch.

The 2nd after Kenny came in well how about Claypool actually fighting for it instead of being a little *****. Knock it down, fight for it.

The 3nd was a throw with a D Lineman in his face. He said he wanted the throw to go higher to go out of bounds if Muth couldn't be Wilt Chamberlain. The 4th was just a Hail Mary which to be honest it was a solid throw. A throw Mitch cannot make.

I will give you the 3rd one. But the kid provided a spark for an anemic offense which we have seen every game. He was poised, has some energy. He's not scared. Not stiff like Mitch.

Then our marshmallow defense got marched on play after play. But they aren't responsible for the loss. Give me a break.

Yes its a team loss unfortunately. Buckle up buttercup because their is going to be a slew of them. The Pickett era starts with baptism by fire. It was time. The attention needs to be turned to the defenses inability to put together a 60 minute effort. After all, we all thought they were going to be the strength of this team. They are not with their late game collapses.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The defense was going to have to dominate to win with Trubisky. With Watt and four of the top six defensive backs out of the lineup, that just isn't going to happen.

Maybe Pickett will be no better, but if they are going to lose, I'd much rather it be with the first-round pick getting his opportunity. It's going to be ugly at times, but he needs the experience and the Steelers need to see what they've got. He showed his downside with the turnovers, but he already showed his upside is superior to Trubisky's. He is already making aggressive throws on plays that Trubisky was missing.

The pass to Freiermuth when Pickett got leveled is an example. In that situation, Trubisky tries to escape the pocket rather than hanging in and making the tough throw. We've seen that consistently from the guy.

The intermediate pass to Pickens over the middle was another example. Trubisky was taking the shorter throws on plays like that. It is part of why we weren't seeing passes down the field over the middle the first three and a half games.

Even the pass to Claypool was the right decision. Despite false claims by some posters here, Claypool was not triple or even double-covered. There were two safeties in the area. Claypool had a one-on-one matchup with one of them. Pickett said he loves that matchup and he's right. He definitely needs to make a better throw, but Claypool was still in great position to catch it and simply didn't get the job done.

The offense does seem to believe in Pickett and I think that is a response to him believing in himself. He isn't irrational about it. He owns his mistakes. He certainly wasn't assuming he will start next week, but he doesn't just talk about believing in himself, he shows it on the field. Trubisky does not.

• Agree Agree x 1