1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Mitch Trubisky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by YinzerBuckeye, Mar 14, 2022.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tuitt and Alualu are good DLs when they are healthy. But the chances of both of them staying healthy for an entire season are slim to none... and that is IF Tuitt returns. Heyward is getting up there in age... DE should be a no-brainer at pick #20, unless one of the top 2 WRs fall to #20... which won't happen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I wouldn't say a no-brainer. They still have long-term needs on the offensive line and at cornerback. They still don't even have a starter at strong safety. I would rather see them address any of those needs rather than taking a quarterback.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am old enough to remember when the Raiders picked up Jim Plunkett off the scrap heap. "Busted #1 who will be a camp arm" kinda predictions. You never know. Maybe Mitch will be OK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think the value is there in taking a safety in the first round, if Kyle Hamilton fell to #20 then do it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    CB in the 1st.
    SS in the second
    DL in the third.
    Wr next pick.
    If the draft falls like I think it might ....We should be able 2 get good value at each of those positions ...in those rounds.
    That should be how We go.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    For what it's worth it appears that Tuitt if he comes back he lost his starter job as KC said he considers Wormly a starter.

7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Those are all positions of need but I think we have to take an edge rusher within the first four rounds. We have very little behind Watt and Highsmith.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If Tuitt is healthy and has his mind right, that will last about five minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If all else fails and, should Hamilton some how, some way, falling that far, to hell with waiting on him. Trade up for him!!:rawk: Players like him do not come around very often.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Between you and me, outside of Kyle Hamilton, Jordan Davis assuredly is a player I would want to trade up for. Sure, he does not solve the QB Problem but he is a literal giant leap forward for solving the Run Defense issues the team had last season. As you said, even if Tuitt does return, never mind Cameron Heywards age (another problem in its own right) but Tuitt simply has not been able to stay healthy.

To get him though, likely have to leap frog the Chargers as they have been hell bent on him ever since the beginning of the Draft Process. Now that I think about it, outside of Pittsburgh, no other team has shown as much interest of Jordan Davis quite like Los Angeles.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    no matter what they will rotate a lot

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. That is what seems promising about the defensive line group if they have Tuitt and Alualu back. They would have six capable defensive linemen to rotate into the game. Adams, Wormly, and Loudermilk are all good enough to get some snaps by earning them rather than by default.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tuitt's salary will be 9 million in 2022, he's not sitting behind Wormley.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is also a hell of a lot better than Wormley, who gets pushed around way too much on running plays.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm just repeating what Kevin said. We all know Tomlin doesn't believe in losing your spot due to injury unless your name is Banner and a project kid is the one taking the job however can you have 5 starters on a 3 man front?

• Like Like x 1
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You got that from “As of now (Stephon) Tuitt is on our team, but we also have Chris Wormley that started last year. We're hopeful (Stephon) can continue his career because he's a significant player. In the meantime Wormley has filled that position and I qualify him as a starter as well.”

• Like Like x 3
  17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes I did. Typically when the GM says a player is a starter and there are only 3 positions on the defensive line in thier scheme that someone is the starter. Now I'm sure we will muddy the waters here with what starter means, that they can have multiple starters at a position especially with subpackage football as well a numerous reasons why the most obvious explanation of the statement isn't correct so have at it.

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Who knows who's going to be the starter? What we actually do know is that the current GM will not be the present GM when the season starts so the point is somewhat moot.

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I just don’t see how you can read that and think Colbert is saying tuitt has lost his job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Because he said he considered Wormley a starter. I'm not saying that when Tuitt comes back he won't be penciled in a the opening day starter or than the gap in talent level isn't big between what Tuitt has and Wormley lacks. Just that at the moment Wormley is the starting DE along with Cam. I'd assume that if Tyson is on schedule he will be the starter at NT unless they draft someone transcendent at the position and they are planning on Wormley and Cam. I don't believe they have any plans for Tuitt until he is ready, they tried it the other way last season.

I will say in this case it was the reporter trying to slip one past Kevin and get a scoop and he didn't bite. He didn't change the story on Tuitt and said the guy who filled in last year for him, is viewed as a starter. It wasn't we demoted Tuitt or he lost his job like the long snapper, it was his movement up and down the current off season depth chart.

• Like Like x 1
  21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I read that different.
    If Tuitt doesn't come back, KC is saying they don't have a hole needing a FA starter-level player, because they have Wormly.
    Which isn't to say they couldn't find an upgrade, but that they don't have a weakness like the current SS situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No muddying is necessary. In no way did that quote even imply that Wormley would start over Tuitt. Your interpretation of that isn't even close to the truth. That was a GM trying to prop up the value of his own player, Wormley. in case they do need him to start again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There it is.

BINGO.

I'm sorry you were saying something?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, it was predictable that someone would point out that your interpretation of that quote is utterly ridiculous. Congratulations on seeing that coming.

25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The square on this particular card was for which board member would avoid the topic and potential discussion while making a personal attack and not for utterly ridiculous interpretation, I still need two spots for that one but did make money on this card.

Board bingo aside let's dive in shall we.

Which led to this.

As further clarification from the coach.

So at no point when asked a direct question about starting caliber players on the roster do the GM and Coach give any answer to if Tuitt is among them or is the current starter at defensive end. No reason not to say yes he is because at this point the depth chart is a work in motion.

Is there any room in either of those statements to suggest the Tuitt is in fact the defacto starter? Honestly pretty sure they went to considerable lengths to not go beyond saying Tuitt remains a member of the team. Does either say here that Tuitt is the starter and where is that statement? Is it anywhere near where the Steelers GM says I consider Chris Wormley a starter?

So if Chris Wormley is considered a starter that would mean someone else wasn't right? It is possible to lose a starting position through no fault other than circumstances preventing a player from performing at a level that earned them the spot previously and can regain once play rises to that level again. True or False?

As of this moment the defensive line depth chart looks like this Heyward, Alualu, and Wormley starting. Loudermilk and Adam's as backup depth with whatever camp bodies they have to fill the 90 man roster heading into the draft. This in mind as stated by GM and coach should Stephon Tuitt become available the depth chart will change to reflect this but they have no new information to share on that topic.

So yes 100% ridiculous for anyone to interpret the lack of calling someone a starter as them not being a starter, and the player who the GM says he considers a starter as being the case. I must be losing my mind to think that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1