1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Mitch Trubisky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by YinzerBuckeye, Mar 14, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This hasn’t actually happened

At least not yet

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers have positioned themselves not to be stuck with Rudolph or Haskins starting this season and that’s what would happen if a QB they like doesn’t fall to them. Wanting to and being able to are two different things.

They could also be planning on sitting any QB they draft his season which again Trubisky allows them to do.

Steelers get an A+ on how they have handled this offseason as far as I’m concerned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with this. So far... this has been the best offseason Steelers have had in recent memory. Drafting a QB in the first round would take this grade down to a D- considering the project level talent at QB this year, along with the fact Steelers signed Trubisky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We shall see.
    If Your intention is 2 draft a Qb this year its a waste of money IMO . Also I agree what they've done so far is great, but not if they Draft a Qb in the 1st....then What they did I'd a waste at the Qb position. Especially if they move up 2 take one.
    It won't be revisionist if I bring it up later either. Since I'm saying it now.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You were responding to someone who thinks Rudolph is capable of being a starting NFL QB. I agree with you, especially if we’re going to be running an RPO-heavy offense. My only negative observations on how we have handled the off-season so far are 1) not calling Chuks’ agent’s bluff on contract value. I don’t think there’s any way that we needed to fork out what we’re forking out for him, and 2) (which can still be rectified) not finding a replacement SS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not even close...I have stated that before.:shrug:
    If I thought Mason was the GUY....why would I want us 2 draft a Qb next year??? Because I have stated about 100,000,006 times We should draft a Qb next year.
    My thought is different from Yours in that ...If the Steelers think Trubisky is the GUY....then why draft one this year, and If He is not the GUY....then why F**king bother???:shrug:
    If Your not the GUY ....You're not the GUY,and We could have used that money in other places of need ...which I many.

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Because you don’t go into a season conceding. You put together the best roster that you can and you try to win every game. If you draft a QB, you’re generally not planning for that guy to start as a rookie, so you need a bridge QB. I don’t see Rudolph of Haskins as anything more than bridges to nowhere. At least Trubisky gives you a shot at having a decent season, especially if he’s not cast as a square peg in a round hole like he was in Chicago. And we got Trubisky for the cost of a high end backup. Great signing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Comes down 2 options....No???
    I personally don't think Trubisky is better than Mason, or Haskins, and If He actually turns out better than both, and You are correct it's all Chicago's fault.....Then Drafting a Qb this Year will be a waste. :shrug: At least give the Guy a shot at seeing if it was Chicago's fault. If Drafting a Qb this year in the 1st ....He knows it's only a matter of time, and He's gone....whereas Mason and Haskins have been already living this.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah, take away their outstanding young quarterback and elite receiver and they might not be good!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would be fine with Pickett at 20, but it's not going to happen. I wouldn't want Willis even there. I just hope the that Colbert sticks to his implication that they will be holding on to their draft picks rather than trading up.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That was the formula with the killer Bee's. Hurt Bell, knock Brown out and get after Ben and it ended those playoff runs. I give full credit to Burrow/Chase combo for their season but realistic enough to know one without the other things would be different.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Even if you plan to get a guy this year, drafting at #20 means that you can’t bank on being able to. If Trubisky ends up being awesome, and we’ve drafted a QB in the 1st round, that’s not a bad problem to have. Better that than having both Trubisky and a drafted QB both suck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sounds like they will definitely walk away with a QB, I’d welcome Ridder in the second. At some point over the course of the draft they will add one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

I hope this is all smoke and mirrors from Tomlin and Colbert. Last time I checked.... the Vikings ran all over the Steelers just a few months ago gaining over 300+ yards on the ground. A 1st round QB will not help the run defense... at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Nobody tips their hat for what they are going to do. Tomlin saying they will probably draft a QB is pure BS and all he is doing is throwing a lasso to idiot analysts.

Now if one falls to us and it would be stupid to pass on then he will be on point. Anybody that knows me knows I'm not a big MT fan but he is being honest here to a degree. We are in a great position to either draft a QB or simply pass on one without the pressure to do either.

I agree with Blast Furnace and HeinzMustard, it's been a great offseason. See what happens when you don't tie all your dough into one player. Not many other teams can say that right now. Our future is looking bright and we're going to be flying under the radar.

• Like Like x 3
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes agree with that....totally :thumbs_up:
    I just think His confidence will be destroyed if they draft in the 1st, and if the Drafted Qb sucks.....then:shrug:

17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Considering that no teams reached 250 yards rushing against the Steelers last season, seems like you never checked.

It is possible to complain about the team's run defense without making things up.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't dispute that, but assuming one will get hurt is a dubious strategy.

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    So 250 yards is not as bad as 300? WTF? Who cares? So I was off by fifty f*cking yards. Sue me. Steelers D was gashed by Vikings running game bad enough to rank them 32nd in run defense....aka....last place in the NFL. I've been watching the Steelers since 1979 and never witnessed the atrocity in run defense that happened during the Vikings game. Not even in 1988...5-11.

Edit: 246 yards rushing... between Cook, Cousins and a backup RB. Might as well been 300. :facepalm:

My slight exaggeration is justified.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    His confidence should be unaffected. He’s going out there to prove himself and try to resurrect his career, whether he ends up with the Steelers or someone else 2 years from now. I doubt that he was promised that we wouldn’t draft a QB, so he should be expecting that he’s a bridge QB with an opportunity to be more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    You said you checked. You didn't. That's what I was complaining about.

If you weren't certain, you didn't have to say "over 300+ yards", which is more than fifty f*cking yards.
    It would have been easy enough to say "I haven't checked" and then give some approximate number, instead of saying that you did and being way off. It will make you less credible in future arguments if the reader can't be certain that the facts you state are actually correct.

(I'll stop harping about this, since run defense won't be a problem if the DL can stay healthy.)

22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    There was a time when the Steelers defense was offended and p!ssed off when a team like Jaguars/F. Taylor or Ravens/J. Lewis would run for over 100 yards on them. I guess those days are long gone under the popcorn regime. Sad thing is... the Vikings with Cook were average and didn't have the excellent Titans running game with Henry. Steelers D-line and ILBs got tooled by an average running team. Something's gotta give because there's no word on Tuitt.... and Steelers appear to be dead set on a QB in the first round. Myles Jack will be an improvement at ILB, but they still need more depth there if Bush craps the bed again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    At one point in the game Cook had 117 yards on only 7 carries. He looked like a High School RB going up against a Pee-wee team.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Here is what I'm trying 2 get at My Friend...(remember I don't think He that good anyway, but willing 2 give Him a chance)....I have heard countless times that Trubisky didn't succeed .....because.....nobody can succeed if the Coach and team doesn't want Him.......
    So does drafting a 1st round Qb send the message....Hey Trubisky....We really want You????

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm guessing the Steelers know what Tuitt is going to do, so that will help inform their decision.

• Like Like x 1