1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers release DeCastro

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersfaninPhilly, Jun 24, 2021.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I do. And as you are thinking, the shadow can be shorter. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Turner is a good pick up, a veteran presence in the locker room at the least, O-line will be better than people think, despite having a lot of youth, these guys will play hungry, Turner played injured last year and you could see it on tape, now he says he is healthy, from a former 5 time all-pro, I would take the chance, Klemm is not going to put out the potato salad we saw last year, o-line will be decent, not great but better than what people think

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Who said they were going to fail? I'm just concerned so many are being replaced. I would think I am not alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i was not trying to single you out hog. in general many think we are worse already, with the new players. as i stated we have not seen them play yet. if they end up last in the league again then you were right but i don't think they will be.

pouncey and DD for the last two years started showing wear and they declined in play.

AV was not young to start with when he finally got his shot. he could have been kept but not really having the arrow pointing skyward and the money he would have received it was probably the best move.

feiler was out of position and thats not his fault. he was the guy i thought we should have kept and put back to his original position. RT. banner got hurt so we didn't get to see if he was capable at RT. they must think he can. we shall see.

dotson should have played more but they kept trying subpar replacements. he's back and should be better in year two.

turner should be able to at least fill the shoes of DD as DD was the last two seasons. im betting better then that.

the only real concerns are if okrafor can handle the left side and banner is well enough to handle the right. pass blocking wise okrafor isn't that bad. run blocking is the concern. will he be worse then AV run blocking? not a high bar for sure. banner should be better then okrafor in the run game IF healthy enough. we have some options if not.

that leaves center. we have options there too. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Games are won on the field not on paper. Maybe we end up worse than last year, maybe these particular players and the new coaches gel better and we make a run in the playoffs.
    Who knows, but why run around in almost every thread trying to convince everyone that there’s no hope? It’s like some of you guys are butthurt if people are happy/optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Some of these guys go straight to the negative. DD is a stand up guy by all accounts and I’m sure the Steelers were also trying to do right by him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We’re better than some people on this board as well as analysts think we are.

We’ll just have to wait until we see who was right.

The whole season hinges on Ben, if he can stay healthy and whether we get the Ben of the first 11 weeks or the Ben after. That’s the only reason the Steelers may finish with as bad a record as some are predicting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m thinking we’ll find a way to have a good season since that’s how we usually do. Will it be a Super Bowl run? Doesn’t seem likely, but hey you never know how these seasons can turn out. I’ll watch and support my favorite team while enjoying it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Something smells fishy regarding Double D, oh well
    Steelers will move on just like the rest of the NFL does and will continue.
    These OL and OL coaches need to look themselves in mirror and say I am going to be
    the best that I can be. And go from there.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Seems pretty straight forward. His ankle is going to require another surgery. But hey let’s fabricate something more sinister.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Idk what seems fishy especially when DD himself came forward and talked about his ankle. I wish he would have had this discussion sooner so maybe the Steelers could have updated their draft and FA strategies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think DeCastro thought his ankle could heal with rest, he probably just found out he might need another surgery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes he said he had an MRI at minicamp where the team doctor said he would need another procedure. He also said he thought with rest and no working out it would have gotten better and it hadn't.

• Like Like x 3
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    DeCastro needed surgery, he’d miss at least half the season, he’s in his final contract and he makes $14 mil. And there’s no guarantee he’d be any better on his return. Cutting him isn’t sinister, it’s logical. Not cutting him would be insane. Unless you like to keep monuments-to-past-glory on the payroll. And even in that regard, they’re keeping Ben around, do you need more?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Looks like the Steelers just picked up an extra 2 million in cap space. Decastro saves 5 million and Turner costs 3 million for this year.

16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Even if Trai is an average RG, I feel he's an upgrade over DeCastro at this point.

Okorafor/Moore = slight upgrade over Villenueva
    Dotson = slight upgrade over Feiler
    Green/Finney = slight upgrade over Pouncey
    Trai = upgrade over DeCastro
    Banner = wash over Okorafor

I think line by week 18 will be far better than week 17 of this past season; however, there will be growing pains along the way. And for at least the first fourth to a third of the season I feel like the revamped line will be brutal to watch. It's just going to take time for the players to mesh and become a unit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If that is the case I hope they used that leftover money on a LT.

Chucks has lost every position battle he has ever had with the Steelers. He ends up getting playing time because there is just simply nobody on the depth chart behind him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I think we will spend that $ to improve our CB and OLB depth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Lol. This stuff makes me laugh

2020 .. The Steelers have on old Oline and the worst in the league

2021 5 new starters on the Oline..... The Steelers got worse

Are they better than last year....I don't know..... but I do know the argument against them is they should have drafted a OT in the first instead of Harris.

That's it.... if they would have added Tevin Jenkins... that's makes them a contender??? But Najee was a luxury pick... for the worst line in the NFL.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Steelers could've gotten both of best worlds if they traded up in the 2nd round and gotten Jenkins or another tackle.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Please elaborate with who was willing to move back and at what price to allow the Steelers to move into the early part of the 2nd round to draft a tackle. I'm being serious I'd like to know the type of deal you are proposing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was thinking that.

Steelers fans 2020:
    Arrgghh we have the worst line!

Steelers revamp entire offensive line in offseason

Also Steelers fans:
    Arrrgghhh we have the worst line!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    geez I go somewhere with no internet for a week and DeCastro is gone and Trai Turner is signed :lolol:. The ankle injury was news to me, I don't remember that being mentioned last year. Not that we hear all the injury news anyway, I'm sure its hush hush.

Talk about a total re-vamp, does Klemm have any gray hair yet??

• Like Like x 2
  25. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Best of luck to DD, he was a good linemen for the Steelers for many years and a great person and team player. Best wishes to you sir.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1