1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers release DeCastro

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersfaninPhilly, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What could possibly go wrong? Tomlin head coach....yeah, totally confident. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wonder if Dave requested to be let go?

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    That's what I thought he wasn't good at all and yet is seen as a solution?

People know my thoughts and concerns on the offensive line and this certainly doesn't help matters.

Ben is probably rethinking retirement lmao

• Like Like x 1
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Mmm ok. Well it's a warm body hope he lights it up

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

He looks slow

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It's not over yet.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    So who knew what and when did they know it I wonder. Hope it was after the draft.

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Yuck...That was some bad film!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    By who, 12 year olds?

12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Too much face palming going on.:lolol:

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Based on a true story. They walked off with $2,500,000,000 in gold.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Man, couldn't we have seen if he could play safety first?

Sorry, too soon.
    Sad to see any true-blooded Steeler go but as we've discussed in other threads, something's not been right for the last few seasons and the signs were there to see re. minicamps etc.
    All the best to Decastro in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Racking my brains (and google) and the best I can come up with is when 4 of the 10 players Cleveland traded to Baltimore were O-linemen. They went on to win a few championships but I don't know how much it affected their starting line.

Interestingly, part of that trade involved the Browns sending Don Shula away, before they drafted Chuck Noll in the draft that year. Funny old world.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    good luck to DD. i kind of figured this was coming. the signs were there. as for the draft most are talking about, they opted for a few guys with some experience over a draft pick. coward, leglue, haeg, and our newest signing, turner. that's more interior guys then we have had in awhile. as i keep saying this season we will use numbers of players with these one year deals and see who sticks. we will then have some money to re-sign who we think works and draft again next year. we are building. it's not a one year deal.

by then, green will be in year two. moore will be in year two. dotson in year three. then let the chips fall where they may with the others. it gives banner a year to recoup (which i think he will need). we find out if okrafor can handle the job. moore will probably see some time (which will help). we will see what kind of depth we have in these others. with this covid cap year, they have opted for numbers while letting the team grow for the future, without scrapping everything.

age happens. injuries happen. combining the both is not usually a good formula. new offense, new players, new coaches. give the process time. we have bitched about the steelers keeping guys past their primes and now they let them go for new ones and still *****. go figure. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Good post mac

The thing that doesn’t fit for me is how Ben feels about playing behind this highly experimental line. I think that part is going to be very difficult to manage. He has no rapport or trust with these guys, he will end up either hurt or reverting back to the quick release offence that the league figured out last year. This offseason really was an ideal opportunity to move on.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The ankle is shot and a 3rd surgery is needed rumor has it. Retirement is in the cards.

Turner brings a veteran presence which is needed with this young line and has played the game at a high level.

I feel the offensive line will play aggressive which is needed after the finesse show that has been put on for a few years. Not going to be pretty at first but the line will gel and grow together.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Should have let Ben and Haden go, traded Heyward, traded back for more picks, and started the rebuild early. Instead they pushed a bunch of dead cap money into next year with voidable years deals, and drafted a RB onto a team held together with bailing wire and duct tape so they can finish middle of the pack and delay the inevitable another year.

Can't wait for the book: The 2021 Steelers - How Not to Build a Team

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Steelers' Fans- "We had the worst O-line in the league last year. We need a complete overhaul!"

Also Steelers' Fans- "We lost our entire offensive line. We're doomed!"

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I wouldn't say people are *****ing for letting people go, its just concerning that they are letting them all go at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe, but he could adapt as he did when he got his first start and it turned out pretty good that year. Of course that was a 100 yrs ago but hoping training camp does some assimilation within the group.

24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ben was a very different player then, more mobile, great at extending plays and scrambling. He is a statue now, and if he starts getting hit he’ll be out injured very quickly. He really is a very bad fit for the offence that will be around him right now, IMO

I’ll keep an open mind, but honestly I think both sides might regret this farewell tour in the end

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1