1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers future and draft predictions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jan 19, 2022.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    QB

Unless AR2 and the new GM decide to run the organization a different way. It's not really the Steelers way to poach a top tier QB for a quick SB. Rooneys believe in building thru the draft and parity. Also, why would AR or Wilson want to come here? Young struggling o-line and no true #1 WR. Sorry but all signs point to NO to that pipe dream.

The draft... I was hoping we could steal a QB from Pittsburgh under the radar in the late rounds but he decided to go back to school. I don't want Kenny Pickett, he reminds me of a less talented Baker Mayfield. Unless Malik Willis falls to #20, I don't see us taking a QB.

At most they might sign a failed high draft pick from somewhere else. But why do that when we have Haskins? Just sign him to another 1 year deal. He already has a year of experience here.

That means Mason, Haskins, and Dobbs next year. They've put a lot into those 3 especially Mason so let's give it a year during rebuild.

WR

I love Juju but the proper move last year was to let him go. When you factor how much money he wants, what he brings, and the draft capital we used on the position over the years. I really wanted to see what Washington had + it looks like his good friend and college QB is going to be the starting QB next year. Who in their right mind lets Washington walk now?

DRAFT

Unless Malik Willis falls. I think our first two picks with be OL and CB. Possibly could BPA a LB or SS but that comes with roster moves involving Schobert or Edmunds. Juju or Washington is gone so probably draft a WR in late rounds.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Still have not heard back from Art Rooney II about that possible General Manager application I sent on your behalf @SDOT but don't you worry!! I am certain I will hear back from him soon!! Should be a matter of days in fact!!!

:rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Hopefully Colbert has been reading SDot's posts and saw "Malik Willis" and wrote him off. Malik Willis is Tyler Huntley. You don't spend the 20th pick on Tyler Huntley.

I looked at Huntley as a 1 read QB that didn't go through progressions. I saw so many posts about how the Steelers should try to acquire him or how he is better than Lamar Jackson. 3 TD 4 INT 76 rating 5.8 Y/A...

No one is talking up Huntley now. Well there is the perfect pro comparison to Malik Willis. Huntley was actually the better passer in college... he went undrafted. Huntley is a good backup because he fits what the Ravens do. He isn't an NFL starter and neither is Malik Willis.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree that we will most likely be enduring the talents of Mason Rudolph next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I hope the Steelers don't draft a QB in the first. Maybe Corral or Howell will fall to the 2nd or even later. I don't know much about college football or where QBs are ranked. I watched the tape of those QBs and the offenses they run are similar to Canada's, and they are reasonably mobile.

I expect the Steelers will draft BPA at G, OLB, S or ILB in that order in the 1st.

G because the OL is bad. Dotson appears capable of starting but doubt the coaches will give Leglue a shot even though he was better than Green. Kenyon could be the pick here. Super athletic G for his size.

OLB Highsmith played well. He had 15 TFL on top of 6 sacks. I like him. History shows us that the Tomlin defense is desperate for 2 star OLB. With how often OLB is picked high by Tomlin/Colbert I wouldn't be surprised to see another OLB drafted in the first 2 rounds even though that doesn't make much sense.

S. No contract for Edmunds. Steelers could have a S in mind as his replacement.

ILB. Tomlin's defense doesn't work. ILB get exposed all the time trying to cover the MOF. Spillane was just covering Kelce vs KC like I expected would happen. Devin Lloyd is a likely choice if he has 4.5 speed or better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Great, SDOT is pimping Willis. I may have to reexamine my position on him and make a change to my sig.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Once again.... sarcasm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You do realize this is the same SDOT that pimped out D.K. Metcalf correct?

• Like Like x 1
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    He's not mobile. Not even sure it makes sense to keep Rudolph even though he is an OK backup. As far as I can tell cutting Rudolph saves $3M on the cap.

If Tomlin is going to unroll his genius "mobile QB RPO" then Rudolph is a terrible choice for starter. It doesn't make sense to keep Rudolph who is credited with -35 yards rushing his sophomore year.

I thought Tomlin wanted a veteran QB but which veteran wants to have Canada as an OC behind this OL?!

In a perfect world Russell Wilson agrees to come to Pittsburgh if he can choose his OC and the Steelers promise to fix the OL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Kenny Pickett is a poor mans Baker Mayfield. I don't necessarily want Malik Willis but if he falls I think his upside is worth the chance. Plus, with the way Tomlin has been going on about running QBs for years. I highly doubt he passes on Malik like they did Lamar. The QB I really want will be in the next draft.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I think you missed my sarcasm ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    This is a bad take because Baker's problems are mostly mental.

I don't know why the hell Baker couldn't throw an out route or to the flat this year. He was absolute garbage so it sounds really dumb to say his physical ability isn't his biggest limitation. I own that. I'm not going to run from it.

Baker is the most immature QB in the NFL. He still acts like he's in college and his whole persona is "ME against the world" and trying to silence his haters. Kenny is already vastly more mature and blocks out what other people think. He is a more down to Earth worker who will get along with teammates and staff.

Pickett will be an NFL starter. I don't know if he will be a franchise QB but he has the best chance to be out of all the QBs in this class.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think the Steelers will keep Edmunds, maybe a one or two year deal. I believe they want Juju back, but I'm doubtful he returns. I think Haden is also gone.

I think FosterMorris is definitely on the right path. But I think that CB, DL and WR will also be on the table in the 1st on top of LB, G and obviously QB. I've been doing mocks and I'm really not seeing any worthwhile Gs outside of Green, in the first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wholeheartedly endorse such reconsideration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If sdot is pimping willis in then1st you know damn well the guy is a draft bust

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hi:

Fair enough!!!

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agreed on the first point... with a caveat.

I do believe Edmunds will be signed but is here to stay long term. That said, how long is anyone's guess. It is difficult to say at present as Edmunds is slated to hit FA in 2023. However, I would imagine that he and his agent will be paying close attention towards how much Minkah shall receive.

As for the second point, I agree somewhat though it is more based on the player as opposed to the position for some. For WR, outside of Jameson Williams (now with a Torn ACL), I seriously doubt there is a Wide Receiver worth taking in Round One at this point anymore. Same goes for Defensive Line in Jordan Davis; someone who I believe will go higher than being given credit for. Cornerback would be a consideration but it also stands to reason that the team will look into Free Agency for one should it come to it; that or sign Ahkello Witherspoon for the long term.

Overall though, QB and Offensive Lineman are two options I would greatly consider the team to invest in not only in just FA but also as early as the Senior Bowl. Quite a bit of names that will be there for certain; Daniel Faalee, Darian Kinnard, Zion Johnson and Trevor Penning, to name a few. Now, Sam Howell, Desmond Ridder and Malik Willis all will be present for the Senior Bowl as well. That said, the observation of the QBs will be first but I would imagine that the whole scope of the Offensive Line is not too far behind either.

18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Tomlin keeps going on about QB mobility. Does that mean he wants somebody who isn't a tree like Ben and can move a little bit if need be. Or does he want a Kyler Murray or Lamar? Those type of QBs aren't Super Bowl winners. Mayfields or Lamars. We need a Joe Burrow. I'm just saying if Willis is there I can see us taking him. Tomlin won't pass on him after Lamar Jackson. Will he be exciting to watch and have us in the playoff hunt every year? Probably. Will he be a dynasty QB? No. So I could live with it. My preferred approach is they focus on o-line and defense with this draft then draft the franchise QB I really want next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Could the mods please move this to the Draft Forum? It’s taking up valuable room that could be better used by a 58th Fire Tomlin thread.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    OK I agree with this. You're saying that is a possibility for the Steelers not that you want it.

Which is the QB coming out next year?

21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    it would be awesome if they created a fire coach, coordinator section.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It would be like Christmas, Super bowl Sunday, and the 4th of July rolled into one for some commenters

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Edmonds? :lolol: Your kidding right?! They need to upgrade the strong safety position not stay with average at best. Please...

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Steelers will be rolling with MR, Haskins and a guy like Glass from Alabama St. or that kid that threw for over 50 td`s this past college season. Hell cant remember his name maybe he played for App St. or some small school?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    They are moving on from Edmunds it seems like. I'm fine with that if they can fill his spot with a veteran FA. Using a 1st or 2nd on the secondary given the Steeler track record in that area is a little scary.