1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers draft grade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 1, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would give them a B-, that Loudermilk pick was a headscratcher, but they filled a lot of needs. They got the best RB, and the second best TE in this draft.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    not to mention the best punter also :hehehe:

I give them a B.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
  4. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Solid B overall.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    A-

Love this years draft; No underclassmen, No small School, and No long term projects. Everybody should be ready to contribute 2021

Clearly in the Win Now mode.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    I’ll let you know my grade in 3 years

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'd of rather they be more aggressive to move up and get Jenkins. Half of these players statistically won't amount to much

8. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I like the draft.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m not much of a draft guy and I don’t watch college ball so can’t say I know much about who they picked other than looking up the various draft profiles.

It looks like they got very good value in the middle to late rounds, hopefully some of these guys work out. I love Harris and Freirmuth, not sure they were the best value at those spots but I’m excited to see them on the roster. I know conventional wisdom would say to pick more premium positions in the early rounds but if some of the later guys can actually contribute I think it offsets somewhat. It looks like they got two starters in Highsmith and Dotson in the 3rd/4th last year for example. Hopefully that’s the case with Green, Moore and others this year.

Go Steelers

10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    F F F F F F F F F

just kidding. B+ I think we got two starters on offense at least. We'll see how it all plays out

11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Improve the Running Game....
    Stud Running Back- Check
    Blocking Tight End with Hands- Check
    Center with the ability to pull- Check
    Left (yes, I said Left) Tackle- Check

Backups to support an already strong Defense.....
    OLB who will contribute this year- Check
    ILB Depth- Check
    Line Depth- Check
    D-Back depth- Check

Improve Special Teams-
    Stud Punter who can double as a defensive tackle or #4 QB- Check

Going to give it a B+, but as has been pointed out, grades don't win playoff games.

• Like Like x 3
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Since not a one of them has played a down of NFL football it's impossible to know how it will pan out but I'm optimistic Steelers made the right moves. Improved our O and if injuries don't deplete our D this season I'm excited to get started.

B

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Harris and Freiermuth will get real playing time, doubt anyone else does, at least early. I guess the punter, if he makes the team. In fact, he might get the most work.

Green is a raw center prospect, seriously doubt he's beating Finney out in camp. The rest are special teamers, inactive on game day, and practice squad.

14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I think the plan is to play time of possession, small ball on offense and keep the weakened defense off the field. The secondary took significant losses that were not addressed, which means they think they can develop Layne and Pierre, despite 15 years of history of them failing to developing their own guys.

If Highsmith and Bush take steps on their growth curves, that should help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Still have Rooney, Tomlin, and Ben so I don't see how we will change how predictable the offense will be. Maybe the 1st yr OC will surprise me and actually run the offense. Just don't know after last year with Ben's limitations and if we improved the OL enough to make a top notch RB/TE productive. I trust in KC's drafting or finding talent to make the team better so I give the draft a B-. My worry is how we develop and utilize this talent and our depth to offset injuries. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I thought all along that if we were going to improve the running game, we really needed to spend our first four picks on O. I was thinking more along the lines of Najee, Dickerson, Little, and Tremble, and I know people were thinking more OT/C/RB/TE, but I think we did what we had to do.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like this draft and our UDFA's we added. i really like our two O linemen. i think we have a very good group of o linemen overall to choose from. the competition should be really good in the preseason. a lot of guys want to prove they belong and hungry players are good players. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    RB and TE was a bigger need than RT

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Roche will most likely be OLB #3

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For me?! Now that the dust has settled, I give them an A- overall. Two First Round Players, one I had ranked as a Top 20 Player and the other ranked 30th, are quite the bargains for their draft slots. A Top 100 player in Round 4 and a Top 50 player though in Round 6?! The former is a great value whereas the latter is one of the biggest steals in the entire draft; regardless of round. Roche had ZERO BUSINESS being there. Loudermilk still remains the biggest question mark although and again, running his numbers through the RAS as a Defensive Tackle (really a Five Tech 3-4 DE but all the same in Butler's scheme really) has him at 8.05... shown here.

Biggest steals though definitely came from this years UFDA Class; headlined by Shakur Brown. He was a Fifth Rounder for me and to get him as an Undrafted Free Agent was nuts. Mark Gilbert, Isaiah McCoy (a Sixth Round Graded Player I had), Rico Bussey, Donovan Stiner (again, another Sixth Rounder here) and a Special Teams demon in Jamar Watson?! That again, is crazy.

Overall, this draft is another reminder to pick the player and not the position. Picking position over player is what got the Steelers Artie Burns. I think it is safe to say that they were not going to replicate that decision in 2021.

• Informative Informative x 2
  21. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    For me its B- .... and I got 4 of my guys... the most ever for me

I like Tremble more than Muth. Muth better hands.. but is not a great blocker or athlete IMO.... Tremble is a great blocker and athlete...

For me its MUTH higher floor.... Tremble higher ceiling

But I do like the player... just liked OLINE more in the 2nd

In my mock I went RB C TE OT. they went RB TE C OT . So I really can't complain there..... but I do question Buddy Johnson and Loudermilk.

but again.. this is all on paper... let the men show you who was right and wrong in the field now.

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Interesting the Bears released their Left Tackle recently. They state it's due to signing Jenkins.

Not everyone believes Jenkins will only be a right tackle in the NFL

Go look up his stats on how many sacks he's given up per snap count.

Then look up how many times the proposed 'experts' have been wrong.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's tough to say.

I remember the buzz about signing Matt Thomas.

Now where is the guy?

I get the zeal so it's all good. Here's to hoping the entire squad is all pro:cool:

24. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    i dont see how a draft can be graded before any of the players have even been fitted for their helmets yet alone taken a snap?

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Just wait for the post draft power rankings that these guys will move on to next. All fairly pointless, but there is little else to write about right now.