1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

State of the defense 1/3 of the season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It is probably different having some young guy next to Highsmith instead of Heyward, who is lining up at NT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Injuries are certainly a big factor when you look at guys like Tuitt and Alulu basically missing the season so far. Kills the D Line in both run D and interior pressure (which then helps the outside guys)

Factor in Watt Highsmith and Bush all being nicked and not 100% you have a very average defense.

Secondary isn’t even hurt they just are not very good. Haden is close to the end, Pierre gets burnt a lot and the safety play has been less than stellar. We also have not replaced Hilton to this point. Sutton is decent in coverage out of the slot but nowhere near the blitzer or run stopper at the LOS

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Haden and Sutton have both missed time, so injuries have also hit the secondary. Losing Hilton and Nelson has hurt. With Sutton hurt, Maulet has looked decent in Hilton's old role the last two weeks. I wonder if they will keep him there, keep Sutton outside, and make Pierre the dime back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Ive actually liked what I have seen from Maulet in a small sample size. Seems to be a decent tackler. I’d give him a shot over Pierre at this point assuming Sutton is healthy. Problem is I don’t think the Steelers like Sutton outside.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    CB is a top priority next offseason. Need to find another Haden-type castoff, which could be hard, and take one in the first round.

The Steelers long standing tradition of devaluing the position won't work in today's NFL. They should draft them as often as they do WRs, it's possibly the 2nd most important position on the team next to QB, and one of the hardest to find quality guys.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They should be forced to watch a loop of Courtland Sutton abusing Pierre if they need convincing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers should not draft a CB I repeat lol

Don’t need another burns

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I very much Hear You....,but...
    We can't just avoid the position because we did bad at it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We have more pressing needs though… lineman, QB, then we will need DE again, OLB, MLB and so forth

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just My opinion, but When We lose Haden even as old as He is ....CB will be a very pressing need.
    Though We have a very many pressing needs. It looks like. LoL

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did you watch the Eagles/Bucs game last night? There was a player for the Eagles secondary that either has impressive talent and awareness or he is coached really well. On a 3rd down play Brady hits AB in the slot and the Eagles player knew who he had , where the 1st down marker was and what he needed to do. He grabbed Brown's leg and didn't just hold on for dear life but from the ground pulled in the opposite direction so AB couldn't lunge and get the 1st down. It ended up being 4th and 2 but they respotted the ball for 4th and a long 1. That was some impressive work on 3rd down.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Losing Hilton hurt for sure. I was hopeful Karl Joseph would take some of Hilton’s role, but I have no clue what’s going on with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A girl on a college rugby team can tackle better than he can.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Yea but I think that was the same player that went to no mans land on AB's TD.

15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Could be I was in and out. I was impressed by what he did to prevent a 1st down. There are former and current Steelers who's idea of a tackle leaves something to be desired and celebrate like it's the Superbowl when they get a good hit on someone 8 yards past the 1st down marker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    MLB and OLB are not bigger needs than CB.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sometimes I think this is all we agree about.
    I believe in todays NFL DBs are one of the Most important positions the D.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Has any team been as putrid as the Steelers at drafting CB's over the last twenty years? It can't be blamed on coaching, none have left the Steelers and gone on to amount to anything with other teams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not sure it's devalue, or just bad at drafting them. Burns was a bust, Davis has been Meh, the kid from Ohio State never played a game, Edmunds looks like he may be Dupree 2.0 ( starts playing better right before gone). But you are right, whatever it is, Steelers need to get better at it. Last above average defensive back was probably William Gay in '07.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It can somewhat be blamed on coaching in as far as the system they use really messes with a players brain. They want them to learn zone concepts and man concepts and mesh the two and then react instantly. I seriously wish Lebeau was back because he seemed better at his system then Butler at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    2 be Honest...I never wanted Him gone...I thought He was a scapegoat for the lack of talent drafted on that side of the Ball/team during that time....Now if He was drafting them....then I would have understood, but as Far as I know He wasn't.
    I remember arguing with Family even about this.

22. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Burns was the first CB in the first round since Deon Figures in 1993. The philosophy has been stop the run, rush the passer, and tackle the catch.

23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We need cornerbacks we just can’t draft em

• Like Like x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Injuries, let's hope it doesn't continue. I am still
    and have never been sure of our strength and condition coach? The players
    must take responsibility also, they are getting top dollar to play a sport they should love, would
    it be so hard for them to keep in top shape?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It was very much the Rooney way of doing business that bit them in the butt. They had an understanding with Butler that he'd take over when Lebeau was done and Butler had passed on a few offers based on it . Perfect storm of Lebeau still feeling like he could continue for a few more years Butler waiting and Rooney's trying to keep their word. Honestly knowing then what we know now I'd have let Butler walk and when DL retired start fresh.

• Like Like x 1