1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Start Pickett next game!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe, but how much more involved would Garrett have been in the pass rush had Muth been sent downfield more? I did not count how many times Muth gave more than just a chip to Garrett at the line, but it was definitely part of the game plan. Garrett vs. Moore 1v1 is a huge mismatch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not saying you put Moore on an island with Garrett. You can slide the protection his way as opponents usually slide to Watt. You can also use Harris or Gentry to chip him instead of Freiermuth. They played quite a bit with two tight ends. Put Freiermuth on the other side and send him in a route. Trust Okorafor to block the backup who was replacing Clowney. The Steelers had options other than doing the Browns the favor of neutralizing Freiermuth for them, but it would take a good offensive coordinator to figure that out. The Steelers don't have one of those.

3. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Why are you requiring a factual basis for the man's subjective analysis of Trubisky's play? Especially concerning things like his level of confidence which is always up for interpretation. You sound upright and foolish. One of the primary functions of a forum is for members to share their thoughts which are based on a mix of observation and emotion which doesn't make them wrong or invalid by default.

Also, I don't see how putting Pickett in is tantamount to forfeiting the season. How are you coming to that conclusion? Trubisky, despite your defending of him, is not playing well. He's a 24 year old rookie that started 4 years for Pitt which means he's played more football than Mitch has in the last three years. Given Mitch's poor play, Pickett's arguably superior play during preseason and the aforementioned facts Pickett makes strong case for giving us a better chance to win going forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I saw Harris chipping Garrett much more than Muth, but I was pretty depressed and may not have been seeing clearly.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not requiring anything. I'm pointing out that he is basing his posts on things he can't possibly know rather than the facts. I sound like someone who understand the proper way to evaluate things rather than making things up to fit a chosen narrative.

You are misreading my point about putting Pickett in. I'm not saying benching Trubisky for the rookie is going to make the team worse. Pickett might play better, but that is far from a sure thing.

I'm saying that the best argument for playing Pickett now would be the belief that the Steelers aren't going anywhere this year, so they might as well get their future quarterback the experience. Trubisky certainly is not the long-term solution. He was never intended to play that role in Pittsburgh.

6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    We want Pickett to play because it's to see if the Steelers can build around him in the future.

Right now we're wasting time with Mitch

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That actually fits into my point about why they might switch now, but they still think they can contend and that Trubisky is the better option for right now. I'm not sure either part of that is correct, but they certainly aren't listening to what the fans want.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    This is spot on. Especially because the way this season is shaping up, the Steelers may be looking at a top-5 pick, putting them in position to draft a franchise QB.

They really need to see what they have in Pickett. If he looks like he could be their guy then they can pass on QB. But if Pickett looks completely overwhelmed, they can grab a QB with a higher ceiling in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is incredibly unlikely that they would draft a quarterback next year. That's way too early to give up on a first-round draft pick. If they draft that high, bet on much-needed help for the offensive line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You got me on being frustrated. But I absolutely did not have pre-conceived notions about Trubisky. I was rooting for him to turn his career around. I was hoping the light would come on for the guy. Seems like a genuinely nice individual who was saying the right things and doing the right things. But after watching him play, I am becoming increasingly frustrated at his below the line play. Especially when there’s a better quarterback holding the clipboard on the sidelines.

But we do agree on this…Tomlin will not be making a change anytime soon, and that’s unfortunate because I’m quite sure Kenny could have hit some of those receivers running open in the last couple of games.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You didn't Have a preconceived notions about Trubisky, but I had enough for everyone on this board, and was called a hater for what I watched unfold in Chicago. The same I'm seeing Here....., but I promise You I didn't want Him to suck....because that make us Suck....like We are doing now, and I personally hate Us losing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I said this before the season even started, until our OL get's better a TE will have
    to be kept in against most teams that rush the passer well so our QB doesn't get killed. Making
    the TE position a lost weapon. Sad

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The left tackle is the most important O lineman, and ours is either experiencing a sophomore slump or is just flat out bad. The rest of the line is showing positive signs, so that’s helpful at least.

Unless Moore can build on some of the flashes we saw from him last year, we’re going to need to have an eligible receiver provide him with help before getting into his route pretty consistently. I think that’s another reason to get whoever is playing QB out of the pocket regularly.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Either way we had eligible receivers needing to delay getting into routes. Not just that, but the defense knows that one of the five eligible receivers will often be delaying getting into their routes and starting their routes off af a chip of the edge rusher on the left side of the offense.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He doesn't need to get out of the pocket anymore than needed....because He does it even when the pocket is good.

16. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012

• Like Like x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I just wish they would do it with Gentry instead of Freiermuth. Play two tight ends more and get Freiermuth out in a route.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    KENNYWOOD....LET'S RIDE!

• Like Like x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding Dan Moore, Pittsburgh Scouts were spotted tonight at the Ohio State/Wisconsin game. Paris Johnson is quite the prize that many have circled right now as the best blindside protector in the class. That said, I am more so a fan of Jaelyn Duncan from Marlyand; Peter Skoronski being a very close second. Either or would assist in that area should Dan Moore continue to slump; doubly so against speed rushers.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Then you take a wr off the field?