1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Some wonder how we managed to survive the Matt Canada era

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jun 24, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think I made that projection on Allar as a pro, I'm just not impressed with him in college.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I didn’t watch a lot of Penn State ball last season, but when I did watch I felt like I was seeing some Jekyll and Hyde with Allar. His raw talent as a classic drop back passer prospect is undeniable. He can make any throw that an NFL QB needs to make with the right velocity and touch. Consistency and decision making are not there yet. I see that he had 25 TD passes vs. only 2 interceptions last year and that’s pretty solid. I will definitely have my eye on him next season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    A high school offense that the QB struggled to find receivers in, throw accurately, and with anticipation. Everyone seems to skip over the part where the offense may have been dumbed down to meet the needs of the QB trying to run it. It took him five years to learn a college offense....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Nobody is a Matt Canada fan. Beyond that there exists bad QB play as well. I did not keep count of how many passes were thrown behind targets or at their feet, but it was a common thing. There was an accuracy problem with a clean pocket and under pressure. The OC was terrible. QB play was not much better. Defense kept us in every game, even won some games for us. None of what we envisioned for the offense became reality. It was bad on multiple levels. Not just the bad play calls.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And yet they drafted Pickett. So I guess you think that Canada was an NFL caliper offensive mind? I don't.

How about both him and Tomlin micro managed him. When they took the reins off he had some solid moments especially in the 4th quarter.

I'm not giving Pickett a pass but he was not handled properly.

The dam broke when he was not gracious about Rudolph continuing to play when he was healed. And then the Wilson signing.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason this upcoming season will be his best, and last chance, to prove it.

For that matter, said statement is what I have been stating all along.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Steelers' Calvin Austin III Had First NFL Touch Ruined By Matt Canada's Obsession With Jet Sweeps

https://www.steelernation.com/2024/07/06/steelers-calvin-austin-first-jet-sweeps

8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know why he was hired.....I'm on record with this.
    I also believe He was a Rooney hire. Rooney knew him more than anyone.

10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Possible it was a Rooney hire but we don't know it for sure.Hired Canada in 2021 was awful but that he was back in 2023, it was all-time bad

• Agree Agree x 1