1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So it begins..NIL and the unseen consequences

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Vox Ferrum, Sep 6, 2023.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    So much we could say, but like so many entertainment contracts I have read about, and the unread small print. If this is true then the kid got scammed, maybe or maybe not legally, let the court's decide, but it shows how remarkable the NCAA is it it's lack of concern for these kids. NIL is never allowed, then it is, but the NCAA backs away and does not set proper oversight. Maybe it is not all their fault, but what agents are these kids allowed to have in the NCAA? What accountability do these charactors have, what accredited agencies do they have to be aligned with? NFL agents have to be approved by the league, well this kid found out the hard way, hope parents and coaches take note.

2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    oh well. Reading is fundemental

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Of course the NCAA backed away. They didn't want it in the 1st place....now they are hoping people get burned for the same reasons they said they didn't want it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The thing stated he is suing as it violates Fl state law, it may be true and that will help him, but lawyers..oh my. Plus you have all these different regulations and laws from different states, kids transferring at the sound of the jing, so the mess will likely get messier. I get the 'read before you sign, stuff, Jim Croce signed away his work before he ever made it, then when he did he found out. These people that win the talent shows win a 1 million anunity..paid over 40 years, then find themselves in a contract that basically gives them nothing. It's nothing new, just a crappy way to find out you are owned, lmao.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    This isn’t new except for NCAA athletes. Especially with baseball minor leagues.

The Reds rookie phenom SS De La Cruz signed with the same fund. As did Fernando Tatis.

of course many of those who make it big will try to get out of the contract.

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/the-400-million-investment-fund-that

https://apnews.com/article/mlb-base...rnando-tatis-db06c151fdf5a2650414b02447509e8c

Big League Advance has invested in 344 players, including 20 signed in the last two months, and the vast majority are not on 40-man rosters.

The company’s first $26 million fund, which closed in 2018, invested in 77 players, of which Schwimer said 83% were outside the top 300 prospects when the player was signed. Of those 77 players, he said 45 had reached the major leagues, a percentage he attributes to the company’s data analysis and predictive skills.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    No ****… college graduates!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Cant help the athletes you would think being in college they could read! If not hire a freakin lawyer before you sign anything! Theses companies are licking their chomps finding a new flavor of the week!

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Bottom line it's entertainment and there are countless stories of how entertainers, of all ages have been exploited by scheming/scamming executives. It does not exclude what you say, never sign before you read, more importantly before you know AND understand. It has gotten to the point where even HS and AAU coaches need to form enough trust with their players to give insight and guidance to not make stupid decisions. Many come from broken families and many from destitute circumstances, flash some money and they get drawn in, alll the laws passsed to protect, and scum still find ways to exploit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Very well said

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I will admit, I am going to be a little curious as to how many college football players will be taking pay cuts to turn pro this year.

I was watching PTI and they were talking about a female college basketball player who was making $800,000 on her NIL deal turning pro next year and signing an $80,000 WNBA contract.

I am assuming we will be hearing about college players who were making millions, having to take a paycut in the NFL, because of the rookie pay scale this season.

11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It does create an avenue (if only for a few) to explore staying (or transferring) in college to get the most money, the issue is 'am I hot' enough to get drafted in the 1st or even 2nd. and if I stay do I get injured or does my draft status drop.

There was talk today on an announcement by the SEC and Big 10, nothing official, but having a commission to explore the changes in college athletics( i would assume mostly football) and how to navigate this in the future. While this has no power, it does show the 2 big conferences are giving signs that the NCAA as we know it may be a thing of the past. The next few years are going to be a constant shift with the many lawsuits and determinations that come from it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Watching PTI today and they are talking about what happens if the SEC and The Big Ten, just says they are done, out of the NCAA. Move on and get a new TV deal with their own championship playoff series. I know colleges have contracts with their Conferences, but does the Conference have any type of contract in place with the NCAA?

Could Michigan have said, you can't punish us and our head coach Harbaugh, because we are no longer part of the NCAA?

And could this be the end to a lot of women's scholarship programs under Title IX?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Title IX is federal law, whatever it has established will continue whatever they do with the NCAA. The number of scholarships available has to be equal from what I understand. IDK if there is enough interest in just the two conferences for what you said, but also think having all the schools in the Big 5 (as we have known it) really is more than what 'they' want to share. Some of the crappy programs in both conferences will get lucky and stay, but the cream of the Big 12 and Pac 12 have already been poached, if Fl States battle of getting out of the ACC, look for a few others to try and jump ship. I won't speculate a number, but some noteworthy programs might get left on the fringe. The ACC has a contract with ESPN until I think 2035 (?), so much of this is just speculation and posturing. I saw an article of what the 12 team playoff may look like next year, of course who really knows, but it put 2 teams from the little 5 at 11 and 12, ACC, Big 12, Big 10, and Sec champs, ND, 3 more SEC and 2 Big 10 teams. Have no idea how this all works. As for the punishment from the NCAA, I would think indeed the Universities could say pound sand, but until the media contracts are resolved, likely not, as the NCAA controls the title games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If those two conferences did break away from the NCAA, I would expect them to add a bunch more high quality schools to the conferences. The Big 12 and SEC are arguably run better than the NCAA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I was thinking about this today, of course no one really knows, but I think you are on point. I don't think its so much of how big a conference gets at that point, it's more coming into some alignment where they get the most coverage area in geographic (populated) and then how they would break down a scheduling process where rivalries still exist, and a playoff system actually creates a buzz nationally. I have no idea how many, on radio some have suggested 30 some to 40 some, but I think it could go higher. Some of the programs may get fostered in simply because, and some may get left out, but nothing really gets done until they either find a way to get out of current contracts or renegotiate them AND find their way through the NIL and transfer stuff. The other sports may actually benefit because they can create their own type of system that benefits in scheduling and travel.

• Like Like x 2
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    When you think about it, 15 of the last 20 national Champs have come from those two conferences. One of the other national champions is TX who will be in SEC next season along with OK. Add some other top teams like Clemson, FSU, Miami from the region and that would be hard for the NCAA to compete with directly. If those conferences did split off like that, they will demand massive TV deals and could bury the NCAA pretty easily. An NCAA champ would look like a minor-league champ next to the champ from the Super conferences or whatever the hell they would call it.

With the way the NCAA is coming at Tennessee right now claiming NIL violations with Nico, they have really pissed off not only UT but the SEC as well. They are not backing down from the NCAA and I don't blame them. They are coming up with rules after the fact and trying to hold UT accountable for a rule that didn't exist when NIL came to be. Man, these collectives have a sh!t ton of money.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    We all know the SEC is head of the class

when it comes to
    cheating,
    fkin over students
    and....

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I see a lot saying "read" and understand the contract. I'm guessing this is one of those clauses buried deep in there.

How many of you read your mortgage paperwork end to end and understood what it meant? How about your car finance paperwork?

That's how these deals are constructed, and you'd think a good lawyer would pot those clauses and point them out to their clien, but you have to have the money to pay that lawyer.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Where did you go to school? SEC has a lot more to offer than great football. But green looks good on ya.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    and the NCAA basically sat on anything about NIL for years, The overreach they have had and draconian ways they approach each issue is coming to a head. College land tries this in a way in the 70's/90's with the CFA (college football association) for TV deals. When it disbanded many colleges either had their own deals, or a decade later conferences starting their own networks. I really do not know where it goes, but I think college football is one of the most steadfast media money makers out there, money rules in the end lol.

• Like Like x 1
  21. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  22. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Chip Kelly steps down as UCLA head coach to take offensive coordinator job at Ohio State.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Chip Kelly strikes again. Left UCLA in a big hole with only 9 signed recruits and late in the game for landing a quality HC. Man, he really screwed them over.

• Agree Agree x 3