1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Really not looking forward to next season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brandon556211, Jan 19, 2022.

1. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    This is my attitude. I have friends who like teams who haver won anything in their lifetimes. We are lucky to like the steelers who have been relevant for 40 years and a chance in most of the years. Despite what we all think with our varying opinions I truly believe the organization feels their way is the best way in terms of having success and they are putting forth the best effort to be competitive. While I may disagree with that philosophy sometimes especially the very disappointing offense this past year it has proven to work in the past and I'm holding out hope it will work again.

• Like Like x 3
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Naw, it's just the meth talking.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If true changes happen, that’s exciting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe wishful thinking, but maybe they kept Canada around this year and they are thinking the next OC can then have input on the QB drafted next year

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The offense will be able to go vertical with Ben gone and with it, they can attack the whole field instead of leaving the MOF a barren wasteland.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Well meaning Colbert you could see wasn't sold on the idea until AR2 stepped in and said bring him back. But I guess yeah forcing out wasn't the correct term. I just mean the front office had the power to not have him return.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You got your head too high in the clouds.

Canada will be back next year. The Steelers in no way in hell are trading for Watson. And Munchak isn't coming back here no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What if ARII is creating the mess? This is a wild theory but what if ARII is the one that is making a lot more of the decisions than we think and MT is just a figurehead (aka Cowboys)? When MT was hired, there were some things that the owner had already established, and MT didn't get to change, i.e. coaches. Probably not reality but it just fits in some ways so what the hell. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I have often wondered that. Although if he was Jerry Jones like Tomlin probably would have been gone long ago. There are some weird tendencies by this team that sometimes suggest you may be onto something.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you just wanted more info. It could have been a situation like Kraft vs Belichick in NE. (Looks like Kraft was right haha)

I was just thinking yesterday that if Tomlin wanted to sabotage Ben he wouldn't have done anything differently than he did this season. I'm not saying it was intentional just that it didn't matter what the intent was it was effectively a sabotage.

If I wanted to make a veteran QB look bad I would surround him with rookies behind a bad OL with a garbage OC calling the type of plays he hates the most. :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You know why they say… wish in one hand, crap in the other, see which one fills first

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I want the Steelers to go big with filling coaching positions but sadly I know they won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I strongly disagree with this. All the fight in the offense the wanting to attack vertically came from Bruce and Ben. The more control Tomlin has gained the more conservative the offense. Listening to Ben say "Whoever makes the least mistakes wins" is a massive shift from his personality through most of his career.

Fichtner's horizontal offense was in play before Ben's injury. Even so Ben was 3rd in 20+ yard passing plays and 1st in 40+ yard passing plays in 2018. Ben was still elite in 2018 (and he wasn't mobile). Even with Ben's high level play the offense became more about short passing.

After the injury it's harder to tell because you're right and Ben was not as good as before. His accuracy was a lot worse and the passes had less velocity. We can really only look at 2018 to see how Tomlin sees the passing game with a capable QB.

I haven't heard Tomlin say one thing about deep balls all season but I don't pay attention to him like I used to? Has he talked about "splash plays" like he used to? Mentioned the deep ball at all?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Not sure how excited to be but maybe more anxious and curious to see where this train is heading. I wonder how GB fans felt when Favre left the team and this guy Rogers becomes the starter. I'll bet they were as confused as to what to expect as we are now about whomever starts next season. My only issue is that this is not a player only cure and until the other problems are addressed, it really won't matter all that much who our QB is, or OL, or other positions. If we couldn't win with the teams we had when we were loaded with talent, what makes it that different now? JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    While it’s true our defense was pretty damn good that year. #5 in ppg and #1 in takeaways

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Remember it was Art who was saying we need to change the way Ben plays so he doesn't keep getting sacked. So who knows who really is authorizing these OC changes?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I do agree with that. But ARII also wanted a running game and Tomlin said "Over my dead body. As long as I take breath we will be a one dimensional passing attack that is easily countered by good nickel defenses!" :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  18. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Crab Legs.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    It's a new era, I'm excited for the future. There are a thousand theories on how to make this team a legit contender; we're going to find out which they choose and if it's working or not. There's going to be a ton of story lines starting with this off season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but what is the argument then? That Tomlin will suck with no QB no offense and no defense? Well ya, duh lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I sincerely wish I was more like this.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I watched Malone, Woodley, Blacklidge and Brister for a decade. I would volunteer for the doorslam if a young Ben would emerge to avoid those years of agony.

• Like Like x 1
  23. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    upload_2022-1-20_12-31-4.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I will always watch regardless of how good or bad the team is. They have the draft and some money to make a few moves in free agency. It’s impossible for anyone to predict what the team will look like on week 1, or how next season goes.

He is a franchise legend but Ben was not good this past season, and there are free agents out there that could give you similar or better play straight away IMO. If they’re not drafting a QB they would be very foolish not to bring a veteran. Even Mariota or Trubisky would be another option and likely an upgrade over Mason.

• Like Like x 1
  25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'll become a Stains fan before slamming my manhood into a car door. I doubt there's any worse biologically than having to sit to pee.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2