1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Spock, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I am disappointed with the NFL in general and with the current state of the Steelers. I'd like to focus on some of the current Steelers who play the game in a manner that many Steeler Fans respect.

Juju reminds me a lot of Hines Ward. He's tough and plays old school.

Ben does turn the ball over and he makes some head scratcher decisions, but I love the fact that he plays qb with the mentality of Jack Lambert.

I hope that some of you may be able to remind me of other current Steelers who play in the mold of former Steelers who made us proud.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I got scared for a minute when I read the thread name, thinking that there were now multiple RealSteels emerging from the depths. To your point, I can't think of another current Steeler who has consistently performed to the image of past fan favorites. While unpopular to mention, James Harrison was a throwback player who put in performances that were reminiscent of past great Steeler LBs. And ironically, Bell will be the RB standard we use to judge current and future RBs by. The O-Line is very good as a unit but individually none of them IMO are Dermonti Dawson or Alan Faneca caliber players. On D, no one comes close to Big Snack, #43, Aaron Smith or Rod Woodson in post-Dynasty stars. I'm even longing for ST players who remind me of Daniel Sepulveda and Norm Johnson at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd say TJ is well on his way to being the next great OLB. He'd be even better if he had an actual threat on the opposite side.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’m reading this as looking for players with the old Steelers personality, regardless of whether or not they show HOF qualifications. Acting like they’ve been there, putting team first rather than looking to build their brand, knowing their assignments, playing at least competently.

Offensive line: all of them quietly do their jobs. No one runs 15 yards to a camera spotlight to perform the celebration du jour after a good play.

WR/TE: JuJu and nearly all the TEs play that way. Make a play, get up, get back to the huddle. The “first down/in your face” signal and ball-drop? I ain’t got no time for that.

QB: Ben, on-field. Tough, plays through injury, scrambles, makes plays.

Defensive line & linebackers: Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, Watt, Chickillo, Fort ... Good motors, not constantly whining to refs, usually where they belong and doing what they’re supposed to.

Secondary: um... Haden seems professional.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    T.J. Watt is the only quintessential Steeler I can think of at the moment. JuJu is more of a modernized Steeler star than he is a throwback. James Conner perhaps?!

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's hard to compare. Players today are so different. I mean the 2 you named I love but let's face it. They have a different mentality now.

I know the Steelers had a lot of selfish dudes back in the day but they looked at it as going to work. Players today have so much other than football going on.

All that said I do think we have a couple of throwbacks. I love they way McDonald plays.

Decastro as well

Defensively we have some good guys but nobody is just nasty

7. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    and as good as Vance had been when healthy this season, I wish we could find the next Heeaaaaaath. That guy was Steeler football.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It starts with the head coach. Noll was a teacher and sought out the details, which is probably why Bradshaw has a stick up his rear. Cowher was an in your face motivator and let's get after it. Tomlin needs to develop a specific identity, instead of the general, "We do what we do" mentality. But this requires leadership, which is where Tomlin needs to re-invent himself. I am hoping Tomlin is having an epiphany this off-season, doing a lot of soul searching of his own leadership style. Tomlin needs to develop a culture that produces real Steelers, instead of allowing whiny divas to run rampant.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Cam Heyward, David DeCastro, Alejandro Villanueva, TJ Watt, Joe Haden to name a few that pop into mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

If you are looking for Tomlin to all of a sudden change his style with our current roster in place then you will be waiting an eternity. That mold has already been formulated. Replacing some of the problem players may help create a new atmosphere but right now too many of them don't have the respect to necessitate that change.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Good list however I would add Pouncy. A couple of seasons ago, there would be no way but I think he has matured a bunch since then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Dick Vermeil changed the way he coached after the 1998 season and a 4-12 Rams team. The next year he won a Super Bowl. Of course he had significant player personnel changes in acquiring Marshall Faulk, drafting Torry Holt, signing Trent Green and Adam Timmerman, hiring Mike Martz as OC, then having a back up, future HOF QB replacing an injured Trent Green. If he would have kept coaching the way he did, he would have worn out every player before the season was over.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  13. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    AV. Nuff said

• Like Like x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I'm not sure Vermeil actually changed his coaching style as much as he fulfilled his roster. Hiring Martz was key to their success.

15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    He went from 2.5 - 3 hour practices to 1.5 to 2 hour practices, so it was definitely a change for him. The Rams players did respond by working hard and efficient.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Me too!
    Current Steelers I'd put on the list would be JuJu, Heyward, Pouncey, Villanueva, Macdonald could be as well as Conner.

17. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This makes me wonder sometimes about the actual importance of coaching. I think the overall talent of a team may be much more vital than the coaching. Sure, coaching helps, but having talent is a necessity. Noll wouldn't be the great coach he was without Green, Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth, etc. Bellichick without Brady - see how he did with the Browns. Cowher was good, but needed Ben. Would Lebeau be a defensive genius without Polamalu? I think the main problem with the team currently is not so much Tomlin, but we lack talent, especially on defense. Tomlin's often bone-headed decisions sure don't help, but talent sure makes coaching a lot easier.

In answer to the original question, more players like Juju and Al Villanueva sure would be welcome. And I like Cam Heyward. Seem to be good folks as well as good players.