1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens jumping offside after the 2 minute warning…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I thought it was that coach from Rutgers who was in the league for a few seasons who coached his guys to do that? Can’t remember his name or the team he coached though. It’s hell getting old

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Charlie Batch said he thought it was done on purpose. 2 min warning, 3rd and 2. If Steelers make first down, they use more clock and Ravens have to burn another timeout. So, this was done to preserve clock. As it turns out, they used 2 timeouts and Steelers scored TD at 1:48.

Risk vs reward. Risk is, if they hold Steelers, they only need to use 1 timeout on 4th down. Reward is, should Steelers score TD or kick FG, they can stop clock 3 times. In the end, had DJ not gotten in, They would’ve used last time out and Steelers would’ve kicked FG. Calculated risk, that worked out for the Ravens

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My main thing is why act. It's not illegal in any way....so why not just step over. Why pretend :shrug:

4. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They made contact, to make sure it was called. Maybe the player felt guilty? But his coach is dirty.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It’s a free play to try to jump the snap and make a play. Win/win.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ok, I've rewatched in on the All-22 (not sure why this is bugging me so much).

Now I've changed my mind AGAIN.

As they're waiting for the snap, the LB next to Clark actually tells him to go - he waves his hand to make him cross the line.

I can't think what else he'd be trying to say with that motion.

Long and short of it, Harbaugh is still a dick.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    When it happened , I also said it was intentional and here is why. By giving us a 1st and goal, they essentially guaranteed us only 3 more plays and they could stop the clock and have time left when they got the ball. I believe it was a calculated risk and was indeed intentional. It was smart and I too was thinking that they were going to let us score until they did this. If they hold us to a FG, they win with the best kicker in the league, if we score a TD, they still have time to go the length of the field to potentially win it with a 2 point conversion. Granted everything had to go their way but thats great coaching giving your team a chance to win.

In either scenario, we scored, they get the ball with time left to operate and a chance to win and thats exactly what happened. The worst thing that happened was the Boswell kick OOB giving them a shorter field. In my opinion it was a brilliant move

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why wouldn’t the guy waving his hand just jump offsides, why not both go for that matter.

Also, this is the Steelers, people are acting like getting a first down on 2nd and 2 is a gimme for this team.

At any rate, this talks a little bit about it here, Heyward doesn’t think they jumped on purpose, Ben does.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...but-come-up-short-against-Steelers-177478041/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The guy who jumped didn’t have a blocker opposite, so he was unabated to the QB. That guarantees a whistle and eliminates the Steelers getting a free play.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I played on pool league for years. And that’s totally acceptable and part of the game. Now if you’re just playing against some random person at a bar somewhere yeah I could see where some drunk guy that doesn’t know **** about the game could get upset about it.
    I play on dart league currently and some people constantly complain if you score points. The more they complain the more points I score on purpose. It’s part of the game and totally within the rules.
    And I’ve noticed the people that complain the most are typically complaining because they lose most often.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Was on a dart league and guy on my team would pound points all the time. One time an opponent cracked, “think you have enough points”, my friend looks at him and the back at the board and hits another triple 20 :lolol:

• Like Like x 3
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's awesome.
    It kills me when people complain about the points. I tell em to commission the league to turn the points off.
    There's definitely some etiquette to it. I try and just close unless I get behind then you have to get a number and pound it for points to get the other player chasing. Typically the people whop complain are the ones that are getting their buts kicked all the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Death, taxes, Glenn snitching on somebody, and Tomlin choking in the playoffs.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s not snitching.

• Like Like x 1
  15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Lots of things are within the rules, legal and in some circles acceptable. It’s still weak.

So you are defending a player faking and injury to stop play so the other team has to break the hurry up offense? Do you enjoy the opera of soccer players flopping all over the pitch when someone grazes their shoulder?

Cheap is cheap.

16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Looks like faking an injury isn’t against the rules, but it’s discouraged.

1. The Competition Committee deprecates feigning injuries, with subsequent withdrawal, to obtain a timeout without penalty. Coaches are urged to cooperate in discouraging this practice.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    This game ended…. Let’s move on people! Who cares

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They incorporated the rule that you have to come off the field for a play if a trainer comes out to tend to you on the field to help combat that. Or was that always a rule. Not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Your mommy wants you to stop holding what you are holding while you think about Glenn

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You said: "I still don’t know if Ben or Harrison really should have gotten the MVP." Perhaps you meant Harris? Harrison (#92) is long gone I believe. And missed by me and a few others. :thumbs_up:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His post was a little convoluted but he was talking about the SB and JH run back for a TD.

• Like Like x 1
  22. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    That would work. If you are a starter and you get injured inside 2 min, you have to sit out the series. That would stop fake injuries 100%.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Problem is how do you separate the fakers from the real ones.

• Winner Winner x 2
  24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Can't fake starters in the NFL. Everyone knows who the starters and who isn't.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not what I meant, they would never implement a rule like that because there is no way to know who is faking and who isn’t. They aren’t going to risk taking a starter off the field for an entire series because some fans are bent out of shape about faking injuries.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1