1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Portal ruining college football

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Steelpens65, Dec 23, 2022.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    SC Gamecocks best running back and tightend enter transfer portal. Mark my words college football will never be the same!)
    Also if colleges players are now getting paid, do they still get a scholarship or do they have to pay for their own tuition?
    I believe if they are getting paid they need to pay for their own tuition, that way some other less fortunate student could get a scholarship.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said pretty much this same thing in another thread.

• Like Like x 2
  3. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    No, the scholarship is between the university and the athlete. NIL deals are done by other entities (collectives/businesses/boosters). Some of the NIL deals require the athlete to do charitable work to earn the money, these are non-profit entities. The football scholarship is based on ability to play football not need.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Texas QB and RB own an Austin Martin and Lamborghini. Eric Dickerson says I was born too soon.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I am sure it helps getting around campus.
    Driving thru Central PA today, I saw a billboard with Penn State's Abdul Carter (freshman LB) on it. It was an ad for a injury attorney. He got a Tesla from another company

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022

7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I predict the USFL will become to the NFL what the G-league is to the NBA. The NFL will lower draftable players from 3 years to 2 years. Players will have NFL contracts that allow them to develop in the USFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see 18 year-olds become NFL draft eligible.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I wouldn't say the portal is ruining college football, but I would say that it combined with opt outs are destroying the bowl season. The portal is spreading the wealth and consolidating the wealth. And what I mean is, players that were backups looking to get starting reps are leaving powers to go to regular programs whilst studs are getting major NIL deals and leaving regular programs to play at powers.

@mytake I think you're on the right path, but I believe that it will be the XFL that becomes that D-League. The Rock already has a deal with the NFL to test new rules and other things. The XFL has a leg up in that regard. I do think that a D-League should be overseas, because there just isn't a hunger for fans to watch spring football here in the states and it's a great way for the NFL to promote the NFL Network in an entirely new media market. There's certainly enough talent to run a 32 team league across Europe and each NFL team has a D League team in Europe. Just due to Pittsburgh's ethnic background alone a team in Poland, Germany or Austria makes a lot of sense to be the Steelers minor league team. But that's getting ahead of ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    College football is in a transition phase. I do not necessarily like it, but it is what it is. One thing to look at currently, and in the near future is how the portal may help mid tier teams make the play offs. You still need a strong core, but this year for instance TCU has (I believe) 9 players from the transfer portal. Argue all you want about if they should or shoud not have been in the play off 4...the portal certainly helped them get to that place, and now a national championship game.

When they go to 12 it will be interesting to see if portal players help a team get there, and in any giving game help them to get a victory. While you claim it is ruining college football, and it certainly will change the dynamic. For some players who were 'over' recruited at a school with (shall I say) to much talent, to get playing time and possibly even get quality sighting by NFL scouts. Right now the land scape is filled with NIL seekers, and portal jumpers, but in time I think it will develop into type of FA.

Can you imagine a school like Penn State, had a really good season..losing to only 2 teams who made it into the play offs, looking at the portal and giving legitimate opportunities to fill specific holes that may get them to the next level.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now imagine Penn State only losing those two games, and everyone leaves, and goes to another team instead.....then We shall see how You feel. :shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Its going to be a consistent thing across the market. Some schools undoubtedly will get more action image and likeness deals, larger markets and richer alumni etc, but the rules will one day catch up . No doubt there will be some left behind, some schools left out, smaller conferences getting a much smaller share...the market will set what the appetite of the general publics wants. Personally I hate losing true sense of regional rivalry that made college football special. I have no special interest in seeing 2 LA schools being part of the Big 10, but they are going to do what they do anyway. It's likely going to evolve into yet another level in time....FBS trimming from the high number now to national league patterned after the NFL, with the other schools forming a lower league. It will survive and even thrive because football is what football is, but be vastly different than what we grew up with. Money talks, and the big guys get the money lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I just don't think 18 year Olds can handle that load. The body is still maturing..mind and muscle. Now could an 18 yo skip college and enter a D league? Possibly, not everyone is cut out for college...I just do not think the number..both monetary and success wise will be there. One thing to field a 13 to 15 member squad D Bb team, quite another to field a 50 member plus football team in a 32 league format and find enough nfl level athletes to find continued success.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    There would be owners that would want to own a minor league football team that is affiliated with an NFL franchise. It would be a developmental team, but also for players who aren't good enough for the NFL, but want to continue playing football. The XFL and USFL prove that there are players that still want to play.

There are more 18 year-olds ready for professional football than we realize. East St. Louis High School had three offensive linemen this past season all over 300 pounds with D-1 scholarships, including one going to Alabama next year. Would he be ready for the NFL? No. But would an NFL team want to draft him at age 18 and find a league to develop him? Absolutely. There would probably need a supplemental draft to be added to the current draft, because teams would find it difficult to draft a guy three years away if it only has 7 picks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Not saying it could not..or in someway will not happen. The semantics are just very iffy. If you draft an 18 yo, how long do you own those rights? The kids gets likely less than 100 grand a year...which for him is great money, 3 years in is ready to make that jump, the team has spent quite a bit in development and gets one year to see is he makes the grade??? There are pros and cons as usual, I just think the risk of doing this financially, with a college system pretty much free to the NFL is more than enough to avoid the financial risks. When they tried the world league it reportedly lost an average of 30 million a year, the NFL owners do not like losing money lol.

• Agree Agree x 1