1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh Pirates 2022

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by steel machine, Apr 6, 2022.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    And them battling BUCS take 3 of 4 in Chi town. Great coming back after that 21-0 thrashing.

.500 early in season with the Brew Crew coming to da Burgh.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    F the Brewers!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Bump. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  4. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    98 more!!!!!
    Come on dammit!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Time to get on a roll, hopefully with 8 against the very poor (so far) Reds (less rain outs) and 4 with the Cubbies. Not much chance against Dodgers but maybe catch them napping. :thumbs up:

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Same old Bucs. Getting smeared by the worst team in MLB after stranding bases loaded and no outs with 3 whiffs. . :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    This team might be worse than last years. Cherington can spout all the propaganda he wants about staying the course with the young players, stocking and developing the minor leagues and blah, blah, blah. This franchise is just as profitable whether it wins or loses. Therefore, Bob Nutting could care less if they happen to be on the verge of a pennant. They will never make the necessary moves to the roster to put themselves over the top because he refuses to spend the money. It's very sad. Glad my father didn't live to see what, other than three seasons, this franchise has been for the past thirty years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    The road to 60 wins will be a tough one. As long as Mr. Nutjob gets his all is well:(

9. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe the BUCS heard the roar from the igloo and finally beat the Dodgers. Can't remember the last time we beat them.

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    2018. Had lost 20 in a row per Tribune article . And to outslug them 15 hits to 4? If I had a nickel for every time the Dodgers beat the Bucs out here on the left coast since my arrival many many moons ago, Warren Buffett would be asking me for a loan.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Lo and behold them battling BUCS win a series against the Dodgers.

Next up a team that actually is worse then our boys. Be sweet to win 3 of 4 from them. Heck, maybe Mitch will get a W.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It's official. Pirates suck again. Can't even beat a terrible Reds team. I wish they would just sell the team and get some real ownership in there that gives them just a hint of hope. MLB sucks as a whole though. Why try and compete when the Championship always goes to the highest bidder anyways? Only about 5 teams in the entire league have a chance every season cause they outspend by the hundreds of millions to get there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    So F--king right!! It disgust me! I really want to see one more Pirate WS before I depart but it will not happen especially the way MLB is run. Steelers and Penguins always made me proud because they stay relevant in a salary cap league.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    ARE YOU F--KING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those lumber company battling BUCS win a game without getting a hit.

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Well the Reds pulled a Harvey Haddix of sorts and no-hit the Pirates but lost 1-0 giving up 6 walks. In all seriousness it's nowhere as sick as what Haddix did against the old Milwaukee Braves around 1958-59 when he pitched 12 perfect innings but lost in the 13th on a Joe Adcock homer with Hank Aaron on base by either a walk or error as I faintly recall. The bizarreness didn't end there as Adcock passed up Aaron on the bases and only 1 run counted. Pirates lost 1-0 that night. I'm assuming that had that happened with 2 outs the runners passing would have ended the inning with no runs scored. Beat em Bucs. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Nothing will match the Haddix one.

17. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    That kid Green pitched a great game but it was the Pirates. When he pitched against the Brewers they hit him hard. He is probably thinking there is a tad bit difference between the Brewers and the Bucs.:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Pirates will be a terrible franchise as long as Nutting owns the team. They went over 20 years without a winning season on his watch. I know he technically wasn't the face of the ownership group for all of that time, but he had the most shares. He was the one ultimately making decisions despite the false narrative he puts out there trying to claim otherwise. Then, when the Pirates finally had a decent team and snuck into the playoffs as a wild card, his response was to cut payroll and raise ticket prices. They kept on cutting payroll until the decent core they had built was gone. That was truly despicable.

Even when the Pirates seem to be adding veterans to help the major-league team, they are really putting finances first. Take the disastrous Archer deal as an example. Context is important. The Pirates traded away Gerrit Cole before the 2018 season. Then they found themselves on the fringes of contention, so they traded three young players for Chris Archer, claiming that they were adding the much-needed veteran pitcher to put them over the top. Of course, they wouldn't have had that need if they hadn't dumped Cole before the season. The main reason they chose Archer is that he had a team-friendly contract, but the cost in talent was excessive. Austin Meadows was an elite prospect who had already had some success in the majors. Tyler Glasnow was a former elite prospect who battled injuries, but still had outstanding potential. Shane Baz was lower in the minors, but also an elite prospect. He made his debut last season and should be back up with the Rays some time next month. Archer was a disaster as a Pirates. Once that team-friendly contract was done, he added a little insult to injury by re-signing with the Rays.

The three guys they traded away are all hurt right now, but they were valuable assets that the team gave away to gain some cost certainty. It was especially galling that the team tried to sell that as an example of them doing what it takes to win when they were really overpaying in talent to keep the financial cost down.

The current team's record isn't completely disastrous, but they have had some humiliating losses and their run differential, minus-71, is by far the worst in the majors. That suggests that even their 16-21 record is a bit of a mirage.

I haven't considered myself a Pirates fan since the early '90s. MLB doesn't provide a level playing field and we saw a team that went to the NLCS three consecutive seasons dismantled. Losing Bonds and Drabek for nothing was the last straw. I haven't been able to bring myself to care when they lose since. I still pay attention to a point, mostly out of disgust for the way Nutting blatantly violates the public trust that comes with owning a major-league franchise playing in a publicly-financed ballpark. PNC Park alone makes what Nutting is doing criminal. Wasting decades of the best ballpark in the game is inexcusable.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Agree 100%. I wouldn't change a single word. I still follow them- but honestly - probably more out of morbid curiosity. The bright lights in the past decade or so were the few players with either killer instincts like AJ Burnett and Joe Musgrove to the scrappy overachievers Josh Harrison and Adam Frasier. Starling Marte I felt could have been so much more with all that latent talent (Clemente-esque?) but came across as mindless and lazy more often than not. Cutch gave us all he could in good times and bad and served his time well in the Burgh. Was sorry to see Josh Bell go, a solid citizen and very decent talent (doing great this season for the Nats). Not sure what Bryan Reynolds issues are this season other than looking around and not recognizing anyone on the bench, but hoping he can disprove the old Pirates curse of signing a sizable contract extension and then laying down. They sure could use Jason Kendall behind the plate right about now. I was in the first row at Dodger Stadium many moons ago at the peak of his career and he got in a scuffle at home plate with Gary Sheffield and beat the living crap out of him. Need Lloyd McClendon to go out and swipe (literally) some bases and cause a stir or for Jim Leyland to get up in Barry Bonds' grill or Turner Ward running through the right field wall for a catch. Ah, such sweet yet fleeting memories.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    That's very well said, Scribe. It's sad. I grew up during the Lumber Company 70's when the Pirates were competitive nearly every year. My dad was a true blue, blood and guts old school baseball fan who once tried out for the Pirates as a left-handed pitcher in the mid 50's. I can't imagine how disappointed he would have been with the better part of 30 years of predominate futility.

I remember having a huge argument with my cousin and a couple of other guys at my local fireman's club because I was dead set against tax money being spent to build that gorgeous ballpark for this ownership group. I was told there was much more to it than that. Civic pride, tax revenue, etc. Where is civic pride to be had from 27 out of 30 years of mostly putrid baseball? How much tax revenue are 8,500 fans bringing to the city during a Tuesday night game against the Orioles? This town can be hard on the Rooney's, but more often than not, we annually have one thing that Pirates fans haven't had in decades. Hope. Same with Pens fans when the Lemieux group always spent to the cap and tried to put the best product on the ice throughout the Crosby years. I really do feel bad for hard core Pirates fans. However, the only hope to be had is if Nutting sells the team to an owner that wants to win.

Like you I'm sure, I'm tired of the propaganda, too "Well, if this low-dollar vet could regain his form of three years ago, or if this retread picked up off of waivers could hit .270, or if, or if." The team resurrected Charlie Morton's career then traded him to Philly for some bum named David Whitehead. They sign Juan Nicasio and retread Ryan Vogelsong instead of trying to resign J. Happ who was brilliant for them in 2015. It's just laughable when I hear Pirate shills on the radio trying to defend anything this organization does. The level of frustration after that three year run they had was painful.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017

Hey Desert guy, little story for you. My nephew living up in Liginoir (spelling?) is a golf guy. He goes to tournaments (fundraisers) with the likes of VERY OLD GREAT BUCS Billly Maz. and Elroy Face. Obviously they sit in the cart most the time but are kind enough to be there to help raise money.

Recently he sat with Dick Groat. Really showing his age as happens to all. My nephew looked up his career and couldn't believe the guy sitting next to him ever had the ability to be that great in MLB.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I don't know how true this rumor is but I heard Mr. Robert Nutbag the proud owner of the BUCS sent a basket of flowers and a thank you note to Fox Sports (owners) for introducing the USFL Maulers to Pittsburgh. Seems Mr. Nutbag was ecstatic to learn there is now a team in Pittsburgh that will have fewer fans at games then his BUCS. He started having real concern the Pittsburgh Riverhounds (love that name) of the USL would overtake him.;)

23. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    To paraphrase the great Bob Uecker, the Bucs dropped a heartbreaker to the Cards 18-4 this afternoon. I haven't looked it up, but their run differential has to be approaching an historically negative proportion. Thanks, Bob.

24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And, once again after getting wracked, the amazing resilient Buccos bounce back for a convincing 2-1 win. Hey, it decreases that run differential stat. :roflmao:

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Great story SM. Anytime getting to meet Pittsburgh sports heroes is a great moment. I too got to meet and shake hands with Maz (and Rocky). Interestingly, I'm not necessarily small at 6-2 but both those guys had enormous hands that just buried mine. Obviously not Kenny Pickett moments. :lolol:

As far as Dick Groat (also an All American Hoops player at Duke), it was sad listening to him just before he stepped down as the color man for Pitt hoop games - he had clearly lost several steps. In his days though, he was tough as nails and won the NL batting crown in that other worldly 1960 season. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2