1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickens

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jack LHambert, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well, if you're alluding to the two you've argued about previously I don't know that I agree.

That said, Tomlin's comments at his presser concerned me. Tomlin is a player's coach, and I certainly didn't expect him to denigrate Pickens publicly over a single incident, but he seemed over-supportive. And I thought it was introducing a straw man to suggest anyone was criticizing Pickens' competitive nature.

Moreover, I agree with you that a short show of emotion isn't necessarily an issue - he's a rookie, with a rookie QB and questionable OC (totally agree with Blast that he should be seeing more red zone targets, especially with as poor as their red zone TD% has been) - but the prolonged display on the sidelines and, now, defiance to the media that appears to disavow personal responsibility and place it on everybody else, definitely shows immaturity.

This could be a good developmental moment, if Pickens has truly been getting open as much as he thinks and Pickett targets him more, Canada finds a way to increase his usage, and he gets proper council from team leaders behind the scenes. Or it could result in forcing balls into coverage and be interpreted as negative behavior being rewarded.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I felt Pickens was coached on what to say to the press, seemed to pick up where Tomlin left off. Trying to nip it in the bud. He’s not the wordsmith Tomlin is so it didn’t really come off well.

If they want that story to go away it’s simple, stop making public displays to scrutinize.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If you are referring to his barely two minutes today with the press then I think they need to have all players take a talking to the media course in which rule one should be don't talk to the press, rule 2 is don't talk to the press. Rule three don't accuse the press of twisting your words because guess what... they will twist your words because you just accused them of doing it. Said to a guy at work today, whenever Belichek gets done with football he could teach a master class on talking to the media and saying the most boring team focused things ever.

Message to Burt. No more George talking to the media especially with his ninja mask on. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't have to go back I know. So you are a welcher???? That's what You are saying. You made a bet .....now You don't remember it. LoL.
    We didn't bet on Burrow, and the Bengals....I just told You that You are wrong about them, and when they make the playoffs.....You will make an excuse. We bet on R. Wilson, and the Broncos. LoL Welcher. I should just call You grape juice. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I wonder if they practice catching low balls in practice or not...

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That made me laugh :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I would assume they would, he would have needed suction cups to grip on the ball from above. When you teach young kids to field a baseball, it's pinkies touch below the waist...thumbs touch above.

One thing he did well in the end zone on the two-point conversion was seeing Pickett rolling to right while being pursued, Pickens moved away from the defender and found open space where Pickett could hit him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Nothing to see here . . . Yet

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Good question.

Would you practice catching badly thrown balls on offense. The defense has the tip drill where you try to catch a ball that has been tipped; but does the offense have something similar where they try to catch a ball that is too low, too high, behind them, or just poorly thrown?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I never said it was a huge deal. He is probably right in saying that too big a deal has been made of it. All I'm saying is that it wasn't a good look, especially while his team was winning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Talking to the press is part of the job. Nobody twisted his words. Nobody had to do that. He came off poorly with people just watching the video of the interview.

I don't agree with Prisuta leading off with a question about the sideline pouting, not even with Pickens bringing it up first. Start with something easier. Ask about the growth in the offense. Ask about the upcoming opponent. Ask about what he would like to see his role in the offense be going forward. Follow up from that to get to the last game, the more negative stuff. This is a pretty basic concept. Get the guy talking before you ask the tougher questions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Another example of some fans bickering over minor nonsense. Pickens was ignored and showed frustration. Big Whoop. I couldn't care less. DJ did it and finally got a bunch more targets and he has a hard time just catching the ball. Hopefully Pickens gets a ton more looks on Sunday. He can actually catch the thing. Immaturity-LMAO.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    "Generally," the Pittsburgh press is professional.
    I have seen media take quotes during locker room time and add agenda that wasn't there when the question was asked.
    That actually happens a lot.
    Players do quickly figure out who is good the job and gravitate more to them.
    But they do have to be approachable and accessible to the media at certain times.

Bill Belichick does have a golden rule in that they do not under any circumstances air any dirty laundry.
    It undermines the cohesiveness of the team. He trades those guys away and if he can't he just waives them.

Tomlin is a 'matter-of-fact' kind of guy. He will just bluntly call you out on your actions (in a correct setting).
    He is a good wordsmith.
    Cowher could totally dismantle you on the spot and right in your face. You did not screw up and try to sneak off down at the 10-yard line as he would be right there. (all up in that @ss) lol
    I've witnessed that up close and personal a few times.
    Tomlin probably had some things to say, I'm pretty sure of it.

Now let's see how they apply lessons learned to field.

• Like Like x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I definitely would have preferred seeing him handle his frustrations in a different manner. However, because of his age I’m not going to crucify him for the outburst. It’s not the first time we’ve seen it and certainly won’t be the last. The only thing that matters to me is whether or not he learns and grows from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. Saying it wasn't a good look isn't crucifying him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    making a claim against someone with no proof proves nothing. This board nor no one on here is that important that I’m going to remember an alleged bet made what 5 months ago?

and t they haven’t made it but YET you’re on here bragging about being right as if they already did.

17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not saying you were. I’m really shocked so many people are making it a thing. Although, I’ve been here long enough it shouldn’t be shocking.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL :lolol:
    Not only a Welcher, but one that can't read. We never made a bet about the Bengals....I was just pointing out that You were incorrect.
    We made a bet about the Broncos, and R. Wilson. You know this...that's why when I first brought it up....You gave excuses. Great way to cover up.....oh You think I care. You cared enough You made a bet about it. Welcher. New name FootballAnalyst98Welcher

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If I remember correctly on that messed up catch of His .....He had one hand up for a high catch ,and one for a low. It's like just half of His mind/body was working correctly.....it was one of the strangest things. LoL

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember I used to defend AB’s “innocent” behavior. That turned out well!

It’s not a big deal until it is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah....I did also, and agree.

22. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Definitions of welcher

noun (offensive) someone who swindles you by not repaying a debt or wager

synonyms:welsher, chiseler, chiseller, defrauder, gouger, grifter, scammer, swindler

a person who swindles you by means of deception or fraud

In case some of you, like me, don't have an expansive vocabulary like our esteemed colleague, @S.T.D

Thank you Google!

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL
    Thanks for making Me feel even older. LoL
    It's a old term used by us older betting Guys. You always get that Guy every once in awhile......that just can't seem to remember making a said bet, or has an excuse.....Welchers....unless of course they win.....then its.....fresh on their minds. LoL

24. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Precisely why I don't bet. Because I really would forget!

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Fair enough. :thumbs_up:
    I only do/have done football. I stay away from most everything else.

• Like Like x 1