1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pick up Haskins?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Dec 28, 2020.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Carolina hasn't been very bright regarding Qbs

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Look at the upside. Strip clubs in Pittsburgh are usually full of bottom tier entertainment compared to the Washington DC district. Maybe he will hit the books more.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Been saying The exact same thing about...The Texans and Watson, but because some on here want Him its ok.....???

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I was only arguing Haskins vs. Fields in a vacuum. I don't mind this move at all.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought Colbert was the GM :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Only way this will end up working is if Haskins has truly matured and presumably Matt Canada has an Offense that can take advantage of his abilities. Again, the talent is not to be questioned. His intangibles, leadership and maturity leave a lot to be desired within the same context.

Kevin Colbert does not hide his admiration for players who were of First Round Pedigree. Keep in mind that, for every Joe Haden there is a Justin Gilbert. Last former first round player we signed has turned out very good in Tyson Alualu. Hopefully this will yield the same results but for now, I remain skeptical.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Or every mf'ing politician and public health official that did while we were told to cancel Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The football side of the Steeler organization isn't necessarily a good fit for a player with maturity or work ethic issues. I don't necessarily hate the move. I'd like it more if Tomlin displayed an ability to reign in players when they are acting like a$$holes. However, if Haskins can't straighten himself out, then I suppose there isn't any harm in it.

And then there is this excerpt from the Tribune Review article I read about the signing"

"Haskins is represented by the same management group (Goal Line) that serves as the agent for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Haskins also went to high school in Potomac, Md. Tomlin often speaks fondly of his “DMV” roots (the Washington, D.C.-Maryland-Virginia area) and frequently makes it known he tends to follow players who come out of the area."

Sounds like Tomlin doing a solid for his management group and an athlete from his native tri-state area.

10. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    That's the funniest thing about this -- Canada's offense requires a mobile QB. We have three statues now.

I don't think Canada's getting the job.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Maybe, but they didnt need to bring him in, they could have found out everything abt him, with out bringing him and talking to him ..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Ha, Bama could beat half the NFL teams with that roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Comparing Dwayne Haskins to Justin Fields is the equivalent of comparing a Mustang to a Camaro. Haskins was the better pure pocket passer coming out whereas Fields is the superior athlete. Does not matter either way for me though.

Justin Fields screams Dak Prescott all over again. Hard pass and no thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Haskins isn't mobile, at all.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We shall see. Have to await a verdict on Hank Fraley and if he is going to acquire the Offensive Line Coaching duties. Should he, I think that may alter Canada's Offense a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    To tell the truth, I’m a little excited about this but the reality is he was probably over drafted and should have gone in the 3rd rd but what the hell, maybe we get lucky and got a future franchise QB for nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    More like a tall Russell Wilson.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Doubt it.

Again, one has to look at Colbert's history of taking players who were former First Rounders; Tyson Alualu and Joe Haden being the current examples. Sometimes these moves work. Sometimes they do not.

Keep in mind that Big Ben and Mason are off the books in 2022. That said, this is essentially a low risk/high reward gamble on Colbert. Haskins has the Arm Talent to throw the ball in any and all conditions. That said, he needs a lot of work form him to reach his immense potential as a Pocket Passer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

lol :facepalm: :rolleyes:

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I personally will be ecstatic if this is the case truly. Getting a Franchise QB for essentially pennies on the dollar will be yet another HOF Feather to Kevin Colbert's HOF Cap. Cautious optimism is intertwining with my skepticism right now.

• Like Like x 2
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hmm...

Fair enough! Best comp really though is DeShaun Watson. Both Fields are Watson have essentially carbon copy elite level instincts and playmaking ability. The reason why I have Fields closer to Dak is because whenever pressure is in his face, his first reaction is to bolt off more often than not. Not just that, his accuracy can be either very excellent or very poor. Too inconsistent for my liking.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Here’s Ryan Clark and Greenberg talking about Haskins abilities. I would like to get an updated version on their thoughts now :lolol:

Let’s just hope Haskins is a slow developer.

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It may likely be a coincidence, but Tomlin loves players from that area, that much is certain. Anyway, you're right. It's worth a shot. I think the way it ends is he hangs around on the practice squad for year and is released after the end of next season.

24. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I’ll have to see if I can find the stories I read before. Not only a bad work ethic but has an arrogance to him. He has a bad attitude where he expects everything ha def to him and did not want to be questioned at all.

the off field stuff was dumb but not a major deal. However it does become a little bit more major when you do dumb things but don’t put in the work. It’s kinda like the new guy at work thinking he can do whatever he wants and then gets an attitude when anyone suggests that hey maybe you should focus on your job instead of (insert whatever here).

just don’t want any more bad diva type players, especially if they don’t bring much to the table as a player which he doesn’t currently.

mans yes I’ve seen this movie many times before. I live in Dallas I watch the cowboys do it all the time where that idiot Jerry Jone brings in troubled case after troubled case only to bite him in the ass pretty much every time. Would prefer that we don’t turn into that.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But....If he's a really good Oc...and don't know if he is or isn't.... He can design game plans around what he has.