1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pick up Haskins?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Dec 28, 2020.

1. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Maybe Urban should’ve signed him in Jax.

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    That's the other funny thing -- why would they hire an OL coach prior to an OC? Maybe Tomlin is taking over both coordinator positions?

3. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Chase clearly tired of Ben under and overthrowing him downfield.

4. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Probably humble enough now to be a cog at QB, supported by a run game, using play action, even oh I don't know, willing to run a QB sneak once in a while to get a first down?

If given a choice for next season, I'd rather see Haskins trying to run a 1992 offense rather than Ben trying to run the 2020 offense again.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    After Seeing Ben this year I am all for this signing. The potential is there.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Another head case signing for Tomlin. Suppose to be getting rid of them , not keep adding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Oh yea, this really makes me feel so much better.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Right, also Haskins was released and not picked up on waivers. Watson would be traded for multiple first round picks. Completely different value.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm seeing one concern is Haskins lack of accuracy down field. Now whether he can actually be developed in the short term for the long term remains to be seen. Who knows, this could be a confidence builder for Mason if he retains the backup role and becomes the starter.

10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Haskins was signed with several other players because he is a cheap pawn and will not be in the Steelers long term plans. IN other words, once Colbert has gotten all he can get out of him, he'd gone.
    I see him being thrown around to get some leverage on draft picks or something to our advantage. I really hope he doesn't think he'll ever play for us in a real game.
    I laugh at the posts that say the Steelers, under this coaching staff, can take any POS that is shed from any team and make something that the player has never been. How Mikey, with absolutely no record or history of disciplined players, now all of a sudden can turn this player around when all others have thrown in the towel. What a joke.
    So the signing, by and of itself, is just just a GM's playing chess for leverage and making some gains for players we really do want.
    If you were a GM and wanted to pick a QB between Haskins and Mason, and only had their previous game stats to make this pick, who would you think he'd choose? This is a no brainer but thought I'd ask.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    what about him?

12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Have to admit, Haskins looks more nimble afoot than I remember in college. No Lamar Jackson, but not Drew Bledsoe, either.

No questioning the arm talent, though. Easily the best on the team.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They were talking about that in the video I posted of Clark and Greeny.

He’s not going to rush for a ton of yards but he can move around, certainly enough to run an offense by Canada if they go that route.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If a team picks up a player in waivers is the old contract still in affect? IDK the answer, but if so a team would essentially be paying a top 15 contract for a project, unlike this deal which is essentially the minimum NFL pay (if he makes the team) with an option for a 2nd year. I see no downside to this.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Cart before the horse. It has nothing to do with picking MR or Haskins at this point. Whatever round he was taken in was not his fault, but he was taken at number 15. He only started one season in college and lit it up, obviously was not ready for prime time. His lack of effort may very well have played a part in it, his immature choices and lousy play on the field cost him his job. Now if you are a GM and have the opportunity to pick up a guy with that much obvious talent, for no guaranteed money on a one year contract..that includes an option for a 2nd year, Vs keeping a guy you had for 2 years (Duck), would you not take the chance? No delusions here, he did some pretty stupid things, but other players have done far worse and have been given 2nd chances. This is not about MR, this is about a 4th arm in camp with 1st round talent. What Haskins does with this chance is now on his shoulders.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he's here now:

my thoughts...
    Haskins is a one year safety net.

if Ben calls tomorrow and says "I'm out", (or we flat out cut him) then Haskins can win the job. I'd give him the nod right now over the others on our roster.

if Ben does play, then I like Haskins better as a backup.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Some predicting the draft have the Steelers trading up to take Trey Lance QB from North Dakota State.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Who?!

Source?!

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
  21. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    He's got Trevor Lawrence on the way. They'll probably sign a veteran backup.

22. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Look the Skins have made the playoffs 5 times in the last 30 years! I wouldn't put much faith in their front office or their football making descisions.
    Point is if they gave up on him so quickly ,so what. They obviously suck at evaluating talent. This costs us basically nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The same reaction I have to your spelling lol :lolol:

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's not that accurate though

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Haskins couldn't read defenses with Washington, I think he will be another Paxton Lynch, first round project who didn't work out.