1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots Fan looking for some intelligent conversation about AFC title game..

Discussion in 'Football Talk With Other Fans' started by mikepatsfan0774, Jan 16, 2017.

1. mikepatsfan0774

mikepatsfan0774 Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Just a few thoughts. Stats mean absolutely nothing in this game. The earlier game between the Patriots/Steelers has no bearing on this game. Steelers are clearly a much better team than they were earlier in the season. This game comes down to who makes no, or the least amount of mistakes. The Patriots have a much improved defense, especially on the back end. What a team did last week or several weeks ago means nothing. To me this game is better than the Super Bowl. Personally I am worried about James Harrison, this guy is a highly motivated, determined man. This guy gets back today and is already hitting the gym like a man on a mission.

2. Griswald

Griswald Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    What vsion of cheating will you be using this year?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Harrison is ageless, but worry even more about Bud Dupree. He's a Von Miller caliber athlete, and he's starting to connect the dots and play fast. He had preseason surgery, and was not active for the first game.

Also, in addition to Ben being out for the last game, RT Marcus Gilbert was out. His backup Chris Hubbard had the unnecessary hold on the go ahead TD pass to Heyward Bey that was called back by penalty.

The Steelers defense will play pretty good ball, but will not be able to shut down the Pats offense. I think the result of this game will be determined by the matchup between the Steelers offense and the Pats defense. Our offense is streaky. We can be anywhere from stagnant to unstoppable. Just look at the Christmas Day game vs the Ravens. A perfect first drive, then nothing until the 4th quarter, then a 21 point explosion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mikepatsfan0774

mikepatsfan0774 Member

Jan 16, 2017

Thanks for the response and great insight. Luckily Brady plays better against outside pass rush. Our RT Marcus Cannon completely shut down Von Miller when we played Denver. Its the inside in your face pass rush that takes Brady off his game. History will show when teams get pressure up the middle Brady plays bad, which equals a loss for the Pats. I think you are right it will be match-ups to some degree. I think the Patriots will use our fast, quick running backs Dion Lewis and James White to match up against your linebackers which will be a mismatch favoring the Pats.

At the risk of being biased and I don't think I am. I do not see Antonio Brown being much of a factor in this game. The Patriots are incredibly deep and good in the secondary and we are healthy. The Patriots have a massive interior DL. Alan Branch is 6"6 350. We have consistently stuffed opponents running games. That being said Bell is a very good and patient RB. Teams typically give up on the run early against the Patriots. I do know the teams that don't give up on the run have had success against the Pats.

For the Steelers to win it will have to be Bell. If he has success then it will be a long night, because Brady will be on the sidelines. It will also open play action, which will give advantage to the Steelers. We have fast DB's, but AB is extremely fast and we cannot play man coverage against him. But if Bell has limited or no success, AB will be a non-factor.

For the Patriots they need to score a lot and fast to make the Steelers get away from using Bell. I expect the Patriots to come out throwing as usual. If they get ahead quick it will be small ball from Brady, with the occasional deep throw. Also the Pats running backs will be involved a lot in the passing game. Also LeGarrette Blount is not too bad. Not in the same league as Bell, but he is hard to bring down and is deceptively fast. He didn't play much against the Texans. He missed practice all week leading up to the Texans with the Flu. This will be a close game. I think its will come down to the end. There will be no blowouts on either side, unless one of the teams has a lot of turnovers.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree Brown may have a quiet game. The problem will come if we get behind and Ben starts forcing it to him.

Ben will have more receiving options this time round though- in the last game Cobi Hamilton was listed as our no 2 WR. Dude was on the PS a few weeks before.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think AB84 is going to want to have his own redemption weekend after all that happened last week. So I'm sure he will be in Ben's ear all game. I just hope Ben plays smart and doesn't force anything, and I hope they plan on spreading the ball around in the early stages. I see Eli Rogers and our TEs having the most success though in the middle of the field. Patriots will also have success in the middle passing game as Timmons can be a liability there.

Should go down to the wire, I'm already nervous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Steelers need to rush up the middle and force Tommy out of the pocket. He is a average QB out of the pocket.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Easier said than done

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Congrats to the Pats. We couldn't win because our coaching staff had the heads inserted up their posterior orifices from the get go. But I have to credit NE. They knew what we'd do, and knew how to exploit it... I mean, of COURSE they did. we haven't changed the scheme - hell, we might even use the same damned signals - in almost 20 years. Playing us for Brady has to be like playing Madden on rookie mode.

I hope Atlanta hangs 50 on you.