1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Offense is Our Achilles' Heel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Nov 22, 2020.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Our offense has a lot of room for improvement.

2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    There's definitely some things that can be improved, but I'm pretty happy with the group we have and I'm happy with how they've done this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I am continuously thinking when I am watching the Steelers, what could McVay, Reid, McDaniels, etc. do with this offense. I realize they are putting points on the board, but it is just ugly. When watching this offense, does anyone think we could win a shootout if necessary? Fitchner is awful, just an opinion.

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    !0-0. My concerns are the way the running game is being used, the substitutions and play calling to said runs. Conner has the hot hand he stays in there. But runs without Conner on 1st and 2nd now you sit at 3rd and 7. The play calling seemed weird today, like said a bit vanilla.

Can you imagine that Chase Claypool is just a rookie? Oh man what a stud already. He will improve on some of his gaffs mark my words.

So till Thursday in which I feel the the crows are ripe for the taking after that OT loss.

5. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    A very correct opinion. Whenever we have scripted plays it’s just an embarrassment of offense.

6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    While the team is scoring points, the efficiency of the offense is average at best. 23rd in rushing and 18th in passing. The defense is giving the offense good field position, because of 7th in run defense and 4the in pass defense. What the offense has done well is limit the turnovers. I do believe the team has enough talent on offense. The question will be can the coaching staff scheme and game plan offensively to keep up with the Chiefs. The Steelers defense hopefully can slow down the Chiefs, but the key will be for the offense to grind out 1st downs; something the offense has not been consistently doing.

7. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree with others that the main issues I see is the frustrating play-calling, that just doesn't match the personnel, and Ben seems to have a wild arm every now and then. The running game could be better but it is about what I expect with what we have. No one really fears it too much though which doesn't allow the offense to get away with play action as much as much as they'd probably like. Although for this game in particular I would bet there was an incentive to not show our entire offensive playbook and save some of those schemes for tougher games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If Ben is playing the Offense is a strength.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Should go to Washington on some long balls. That supposedly was his strength.

10. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    KC only beat Carolina (last in NFC south) by 2 points.
    Had to go to overtime against the Chargers (last in AFC West).
    Gave up 40 points in their loss to the Raiders.

Every team has their weaknesses, not just the Steelers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I think you've unintentionally unified the masses. Against you that is. Better luck on the next thread you start.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Are you high?

13. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I really hate to say this, but we are the most unimpressive 10-0 team I've ever seen. Seriously.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Style points don't matter :shrug:

16. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Fitchner just has no creativity. Why would you run Macfarland up the middle 3 times? Some of the play calling is asinine. Our offense has only been clicking lately when Ben is empty set and calling plays in more of a hurry up fashion. The Oline run blocking is not very good either. Great in pass protection but really struggling with run assignments.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers are averaging 29.8 points per game and the offense is a problem? Only the Chiefs, Packers, and Seahawks have scored more points this season than the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    This is one of the highest scoring offenses in football - we will be fine. As soon as Pittsburgh gets in trouble, Ben takes over and it’s another level for this offense.

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers 5th in points and 7th in TOP it’s weird

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    So you're saying that our offense is the weak spot, the chink in the armor? 30 points a game is not an achilles heel unless you think that the offense is worse than their numbers and will be stifled by better defenses. Has our offense played all bad defenses so far? I don't think so.

We used to play down to the level of our opposition. We used to come out flat and not be able to recover. This season, we're simply inconsistent. We haven't found our identitiy on offense yet. We keep trying to find ways to run the ball because we qant to be a ball-control offense. The dink and dunk is a variation of the run game, but it won't replace it when the weather turns. And qe played so-so against a legitimate 1-8 team and won easily. That's not playing down to the level of your competition.

Live game is not EVER a place to practice plays. That's not how any of this works. You game-plan based on film. You prepare and practice during the week to get everyone on the same page. Then you see what works and what doesn't and make adjustments during the game. But you don't experiment. Just no.

21. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think I also heard we are the only team to not allow their opponent to score 30pts in any game (i've not verified this)

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I wish they would do more scoring in the first quarter. Being down 0-3 starting the 2nd qtr not that big of a deal with Jax but could be a bigger issue against better competition perhaps. Got the W and thats all that matters right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Achilles HEAL?

So you're saying that it is the Offense that is bailing out the Defense and saving the team? Because that's what the topic indicates. Nice play on words there. Or not :shrug:

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I read it like he was saying our offense was a problem?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course, but if we want to win the SB we're likely going to have to get past KC, which means outscoring them because they can't be stopped. We do have a good defence, but Mahomes will score on us. If our defence can't get turnovers, sacks and give us good field position, is our offence good enough to outscore Mahomes? I believe our players are good enough, but I have serious doubts about our OC and his playcalling. It's very vanilla and inefficient. Carr played a perfect game last night and put up a bunch of points but it still wasn't enough. That's concerning. At this point, as a fan, my focus is on the SB. We're good enough to win, but I'm worried our OC will hold us back and flat out cause us to lose in a shootout.

• Agree Agree x 1