1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OTA’s: Time to get to work!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 22, 2021.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Lots of media news clips and big talk. Actions speak louder than words so I'll believe it when I see it. I hope we all get to SEE it!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the part of Najees game I’m really excited about, not this clip per se but he’s like another receiver out there. He’s better coming out of college than Bell was. We’ve basically had check down options since Bell left, this will be a big lift to the offense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I am tired of hearing about any single player and any single excuse to get out of working. more money less work is all we hear anymore blah blah blah. They come across liek they are so mistreated and taken advantage of. Most of these "pros" have forgotten just how lucky they are to have such a privileged life making at the very min 6 figures to play a game. The bare min a player can make in this league is 660k a year! For a game!The average median income in the US is around 32,000 a year. I am sick of hearing anyone in pro sports complain.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Everytime I start to think something like that the universe has a way of reminding me that the world is full a really good people and some play football.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/24/greg-olsen-details-sons-life-threatening-heart-condition

They said a lot of parents don't have the resources we did and so they started a foundation and paid out of their own pockets to get after care for these kids because when you are worried about whether or not your child will be alive tomorrow the last thing you need to worry about is how you pay for the nurse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    PFF was making fun of this video.
    People wonder why I call them PFF= PRETTY F***ING FAKE

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Love to hear this. Hope to hear more of it soon. Kevin Dotson quickly becoming the guy among the Offensive Lineman as well!

• Like Like x 2
  9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    This Bible better include chapter and verse about if the opponent is lying on the ground don't help him up, that's what his teammates are for.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What were they saying?

It’s an exercise, teams work on this drill all the time. They’re just being dicks because they don’t like that they took a RB in rd 1.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    @S.T.D never mind, I saw it. They were making fun of Ben actually.

Would be funny if someone else said it but they are supposed to be a professional account. Bryant McFadden called them out for it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've been saying that they were biased.
    How do you even bring that up if your not. I thought it was all about facts, and dumb stats.
    PFF= PRETTY F***ING FAKE

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sounds like something Your Avatar use 2 say

14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Yes there are lots of good people in the world rich and poor. BUt this has nothing to do with what i was saying. I'm talking about the guys who complain or are constantly trying to get out of work. Anytime you think i might be wrong on this subject about any of these players that act like this ask yourself this. How far would this attitude get you at your job? These guys are given everything! a free ride thru high school and college (some even getting a degree that you know they would never earn on their own). Then they are given huge salaries to play a game. And yet they want to complain they are worked to hard or to much. Sorry but i have no patience for that and sick of hearing it from athletes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They can make unprofessional jokes on their company Twitter profile and still be good at analyzing players.

Listen to Steve Palazzolo on his weekly Steelers hit on the 93.7 The Fan with Poni and Mueller. He gives fair analysis of the team, including Ben, IMO.

Also, the guys tweeting and doing podcasts are not the same guys grading games.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    How much money do you need to make in order to be concerned with your health and well-being and how you provide for your family? All your other bullsh#@ behind that is basically the essence of your argument that they are paid millions of dollars to play a game and should shut up and do what they are told because you personally are sick of it. OTA'S and mini-camps serve no real purpose beyond team building and giving players new to the team a foundation of how the culture is. So when faced with prospect of risk vs reward there are veteran players who are reluctant to show up and get hurt when their livelihood is on the line. It isn't whining and trying to get away with not working. It's making sure that your employer provides a safe environment for you to work in.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I would like people who say this stuff make it through one football practice.

From a fan perspective, I’d like them to train more because it appears that the play on the field on Sunday has suffered since the CBA began scaling back practice 5 or so years ago.

From a players perspective, I completely get it. It’s hard enough making it through a season.

• Like Like x 2
  18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The part that kills me Blast is that there are ppl who think that all NFL players are like AB. Huge diamond stud ear rings, gold watches and gold chains, custom Rolls Royce, helicopters to training camp. When the rank and file aren't like that. Yes they get more money than me as a warehouse worker but they also have to make is stretch for the year. You get an 8 million signing bonus and you have to pay taxes right away. Then you salary is spread across an 18 week schedule at the end of the year where typically a lot of things come due and yes some guys blow their money but the family guys have to look at the future. Kids aren't cheap, if my company didn't have great health insurance I'd be screwed.

19. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Again i ask you to try that "B*!!S!%%) with your boss and your job and let me know how it flies. Don't give me that crap about Covid either! Ive been working since day one of it. The NFL and the other leagues have some of the best protections and deterrents in place as long as the knuckleheads follow it. You know not get caught going to strip clubs or parties, but going to practice and meetings and team building is just too dangerous. Thats a F'ing insult to everyone on this planet that works a dangerous job for a tiny fraction of what these guys make. And most of them were drying about this way before Covid and will be long after it.

Lets take this another step. How about a police office who makes a fraction of what these guys make. Can they not come to work cause they are worried about safety and providing for their families? Or how about the Leather Necks that work in the oil field that work a very dangerous job? The fact is lots of jobs are dangerous. and very few of them come with all the privilege's and handouts that these guys get let alone the paycheck. If the risk is too much for these guys then maybe they should find a new line of work. Nobody is forcing them to make MILLIONS!!! What's next you want to argue celebrities crying about not having a private life??

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Paragraph 1: Answer Yes I have and I'm still gainfully employed by the company.

Paragraph 2: answer blah blah blah B.S. and

https://www.sportscasting.com/the-tragic-death-of-minnesota-vikings-lineman-korey-stringer/

The man died because as employees no one thought to question what they were doing. Look up the cases of staph infection that have impacted guys careers because they thought the locker room and training rooms were safe. Tyrod Taylor had his freaking lung punctured by the team doctor who was giving a simple numbing shot.

But they make millions of dollars and get free rides in your high school and college and they whine and cry about safety and try to work less while you are working 70 hours a week and wouldn't dare advocate for your own safety for fear of losing your job. F-them pansy ass football babies they deserve to die for not wanting to show up for OTA'S right?

Look obviously your triggered by this, pretty sure given your responses you grew up in very sports orientated town and probably come by it honestly. I grew up in a hockey town where even bad players still got treated way better than non athletes ever did. Made me hate hockey for a long time until I realized I didn't hate the sport just the a-holes I grew up with. That being said I'm not going to tell these guys what's best for them basically because I don't matter to their lives or families. Lots of rage in the world got to let it go sometimes. If it's your thing man you are welcome to it.

22. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    You also seemed to miss the point. At any time if their "chosen" line of work is deemed to unsafe for them to consider doing it anymore they can go get another job. and most of these guys have made enough money to retire off of and still live better than most of us? So sir, i ask you how much money is enough? They have choices and options! Far more than the average person does. How much money is enough for me to support my family and still had to work during Covid (ill give you a clue it was a fraction of what a undrafted rookie makes). My boss didn't want to hear that me coming in to work wasn't necessary. If i would of pulled that crap there would have been someone there to replace me. You act like these guys don't try to pull this stuff all the time. Athletes in general are turning into some of the most primadonna humans on the planet. Again if the game that pays you MILLIONS is too tough, too dangerous, takes too much of a toll on your body or any other excuse they come up with then there is plenty of room for them to come get a regular blue collar job like the rest of us nobody is forcing them to stay and make the millions if its too much for them to handle.
    Dude you can die crossing the street. You say im triggered by this? only thing that triggered me was your response and how you presented your case. "paragraph 2 blah blah blah B.S." not to mention just taking my words and throwing in your own to justify your argument instead of realizing the points i have made.

Don't worry this discussion is dead i won't reply anymore. your not interesting enough to debate with. You bring no relevant ideas or conversation to the table, you are simply a Sophist. Good day sir!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Well I guess Canada's offense will use Watt at FB, more than Fichtner did.

Najee has some quick feet, he's going to be LeVeon 2.0 :hehehe:.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Kaboly’s posted his OTA observations today. I’ll post some snippets for those who can’t read it.

On the offense:

Roethlisberger suggested earlier this week that it is going to be totally different than last year, but come on, we know he was joking. You aren’t going to take a quarterback who has been in the league for 18 years and flip everything upside down. It’s not smart coaching and Canada is a smart guy.

“Well, we have gone under center, we have shotgun, he has more motion,” Roethlisberger. “But I feel like that is where the NFL is going right now, a lot of the jet sweep motions and stuff. I can go under center, I never said I didn’t like it. We will be in the gun, we will move. Like is said earlier, we will throw a lot of different looks and schemes and things at people and see what works.”

“It is a little different, formation-wise,” Washington said. “It will help us because we will line up in different positions and move people around pre-snap and get the matchups that we want. We aren’t used to some of the terminologies that are being said right now. Throughout OTAs and everything, we are learning.”

Canada wants to use formations and shifts to create favorable matchups, run the ball with a physical style, use Harris in the passing game possibly as Le’Veon Bell was used here and, maybe most important and most overlooked, modify their style from game to game.

On Bens arm:

Some will try to get you to believe that Ben’s arm is shot, but don’t believe it. Just don’t.

Quarterbacks with shot arms don’t throw balls 42 yards down the field while standing still. Quarterbacks with shot arms don’t throw 45-yard rainbow passes down the sidelines on the fingertips of the receiver like this:

I think we can stop with the belief that Roethlisberger’s arm isn’t good enough to make the throws down the field. It simply isn’t true. But can his elbow hold up over 500 passes and six months worth of throwing? It’s a fair question and Roethlisberger isn’t sure of the answer when he said earlier in the week that he will reserve judgment on his elbow until he gets into the season.

Reading between the lines here a little bit, but somebody doesn’t say that unless he felt something was off at some point last year. Was that in the middle of the season or at the end? We just don’t know, but it was somewhere or he wouldn’t have said that.

The RB’s and Coach Faulkner.

Said Faulkner has some creative drills that shows off their agility and athleticism, Harris clearly stands out from the rest. Said the others who have that type of pop are McFarland and Ballage.

I wonder if Snell will fall to the bottom of the pecking order. I think Samules gets cut.

On Highsmith, he said he came in a little bigger and has gotten stronger.

The rest can be read here:

• Like Like x 4
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Enjoyed all of this.

• Like Like x 1