1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OLB Depth

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Mar 14, 2021.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    With Watt and Highsmith as starters and Ola not being tendered, depth is a major concern. Ola may be brought back later but I definitely see them looking to add to the room in the middle to late rounds.

Ronnie Perkins Oklahoma
    Patrick Johnson Tulane

these two are probably my front runners. Draft slotting is kind of all over for these two but I think the 4th round would be tops.

Both have the body profile they usually look for. Both have some warts as you'd expect with middle round selections. Johnson seems a bit stiff but he put up some good numbers. Perkins had a mary jane pop in 2019 but seems to acknowledge the mistake and move on.

I don't think they draft a depth player in the first 3 rounds this year except on OL where they may see a swing player that can't be passed on. I think the 4th round is where they start adding depth and ST contributors.

Any other candidates?

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Perkins will last until the 4th round, he's starting to get some hype.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have depth problems at this position, this will have to be looked at.
    Tulsa LB could solve possible 2 (ILB &OLB)

Carlos Bashom and Patrick Jones II could also give you the two for one deal
    here if needed. These two have big motors and will benefit any team that drafts them.

Jones is right across the hall so Steelers should be familiar with his skill level.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Joe Tryon of Washington

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have problems at all LB spots.

tarron jackson coastal carolina has a long list of hype by various award listings surrounding him. coastal carolina was pretty darn good last year. at the current time he is lingering around the 7th round but that may change as we edge closer to the day.

collins early would be a nice twofer as some have said. we need to add some quality to help bush in the middle as well.

devine deablo is a safety albeit a big safety that could also pull some double duty. 6-3 226. about the size shazier played at.

elijah molden is a corner but can play safety as well. another twofer guy.

these twofer guys could be real valuable to us during this slight transition time. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes he may not, the same for Joe Tryon. Some places have them near that 100 ranking which would be late 3rd-early 4th.

Personally, I would like them to go offense with the first 2 selections and then address LB (either ILB or OLB) with the 3rd or 4th. In my first mock I have them moving up slightly in the 3rd for Dylan Moses but they may see OLB as more of a need since they signed Spillane and VW98 is still here as of this moment. If they sign Ola on the cheap, then I view the priority for adding depth to the ILB and OLB positions as roughly the same. Then they can go with whoever they have higher on the board.

I forgot about Marcus Allen getting some time at ILB last year in that hybrid role so that may push the priority to getting an OLB in the 3rd so Perkins, Tryon, etc may still be there.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I still believe We will go D 1st pick.