1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Dudette!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean yeah, Tomlin and the FO make the decisions not us.. so yeah. But what I am saying is that we have to give Canada some credit for bringing the offense to a much better place at the end of the year. He surely wasn't the only reason, but he was a part of that solution. It all boils down to whether or not he builds on that momentum or falls flat.

If the offense improves, then Canada should get the most credit.. not Tomlin and the FO for not firing him. But if it is bad then yes, all around should share the blame. Idk, it just seems like everyone has their mind made up about Canada and this year is the only year where we go into the season with any type of overall offensive expectations of being a quality offense. Ben's last season and KFP's first. Lots of turnover and a tough situation to be in. This is his best shot, and likely the opportunity that will determine whether or not he gets extended or let go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Frank Reich assembling an all star coaching staff meanwhile crickets in Steeler land.

Add Deangelo Hall to that list as well.

Would have loved to add Capers to our staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thats because the standard is…:bscow:

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Rooney’s are cheap when it comes to paying coaches. It also doesn’t matter who we add as coaches. Tomlin won’t give them leeway anyways. This coaching staff stinks and Art thinks it’s great. What a fall from grace and he let it happen.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    23 days

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I mean...

It also helps that Dave Tepper has Billions more than AR II ever will given his business ventures. I do agree though that not being able to captivate such high profile Coaches is disappointing. That said though, Pat Meyer, Karl Dunbar, Alfredo Roberts, and Grady Brown have shown to be rock solid hits thus far.

Regarding size?! Indy, Cleveland, Miami, Denver, Tampa Bay and Tennessee had some of the largest Coaching Rooms in all of the NFL; three of the five failing to make the playoffs while both Miami and Tampa Bay were one and done. Cincy I believe may have had the smallest, if not one of the smallest, Coaching Rooms and were just short of the Super Bowl. Quality over quantity for certain there.

Overall though, I do agree that Matt Canada does not inspire much confidence in much of anything Offensively.... except the Offense being Offensively Offensive to look at. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Let's see what Reich can do in Carolina. Will be interesting for certain as the Panthers are more set up to compete and win the NFC South than most others are giving them credit for. That said, even with the tremendous amount of talent that Indy had from 2018 until his firing last season, Reich always fell short of expectations for some reason. Hopefully things can change with the Panthers but we will have to wait and see.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Really good points. The "Billionaire" club is not equal when it comes to disposable cash. While the CAP evens out in figures, how you manipulate it can bring (at least temporarily) a clear advantage. I do not know the exact specifics, but when signing someone to certain bonus, the cash of that bonus is put in escrow immediately. It is one thing to have billions of value on paper, quite another to have hundreds of million in ready cash to put in an escrow account. I cant find it now but one report I read last year was Haslim getting into a pinch when some stocks went down and 'Pilot" was facing a shortfall, and he had to dig a bit to find the cash for the funds to pat into escrow for the guaranteed Watson deal. That may have little truth to it, but it does show even the big boys have the potential to get into a cash bind lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m talking about one move. They wouldn’t need to break the bank to bring in a passing game coordinator or senior offensive assistant to compensate for Canada’s many deficiencies. Their coaching staff would still be among the smallest in the league. They could make one strategic move (Leftwich, Hamilton) and have a fresh set of eyes look at offensive strategy and gameplanning. Instead we’re stuck with Mr. Saturday’s JUCO approach which has been an abysmal failure the last two seasons.

11. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    It's their primary source of income.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Old ass Capers and Caldwell :rolleyes:, they also don't have a QB.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I heard the same in Indy....every year they were the sure bet....so sure He got fired. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    After Luck left, Indy became stop-gap QBs world with their win-now mentality. They brought in QBs at end of of careers. Reich wanted Rivers back, but Rivers said he was done. If it was Reich's call on the win-now, huge mistake by him. I wonder if he will draft and develop a QB or try to get one in FA.

2018-Andrew Luck (made playoffs), 2019-Jacoby Brissett, 2020-Philip Rivers (made playoffs), 2021- Carson Wentz, and 2020-Matt Ryan

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And yet....onto His next team. :shrug:
    Has he even shown He can develop a QB???

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s not putting on pads, dude.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Tulsa

Tulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    If the offense stinks, at some point you would think the thought would enter Tomlin or Art's head of "Well, crap. EVERYONE else was right and had this figured two years ago."

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Maybe you missed some threads Mac. There was complaining that 3 defensive minds didn't have an answer after Watt went down. I sure did. Ten other players were out there. His replacement was a joke. No answer. And some want to get rid of Watt :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Really what is the Standard now? It believe it was getting deep in the playoffs and Lombardi's. Now its a shell of winning seasons, moot seasons(8-8) and no real playoff success.

Tomlin talks about the confetti game. Way back in the rear view Popcorn. They are not close to that.

Art II talks about Tomlin putting them in position every year. Also says he is not getting any younger. So?

Hoping that Khan and Weidl start the transformation. Already made a nice call in jettisoning Claypool. And thanks to the Bears shating the bed.

20. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    The lack of comments says it all abt this hire..:lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    meh

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    For fans like you that was expecting some big name hire, I wasn't expecting some splash hire anyway.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And the game passes by for some of those old guys :shrug:.