1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lambert, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    So, two starters down and, well, I don't really miss them. Is AV the LT of the future? He could be a cheaper option allowing for a larger FA pickup(s) in the off season. For a second lengthy tour, Wallace has proven effective at C. Love me some Pouncey but I'm struggling with that contract. Signing DeCastro on a long term deal is a must. I'm content with Gilbert. Much respect to Munch. What say you?

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will extend on what I said in the other thread....OL are almost useless now days....I know that sounds crazy ,but the Pats are doing it with who knows who they are. The OC and the QB can make any NFL line look good or look bad ....

The right scheme with the right route combos can negate almost any pass rush ...How many times do you see guys come clean against Brady and they still make a play ? At least 5 or 10 plays a game ..

The game is really becoming the National Fantasy League . Teams need Skill Positions more than anything . As sad as this is to say the game is not Won in the Trenches anymore, it is won by QB play or DB play ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think we need to invest along the OL in the cheapest way possible, which means having a hired gun at LT on the cheap (the most expensive position), while locking up our interior talent which should come much cheaper than top-tier tackles. I may be ok with AV at LT, not sure yet. He may be able to bridge the gap until the right situation presents itself, allowing us to resign Bell, AB, and Bryant.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The Steelers need more depth at the tackle position. So far, it looks like Beachum and Adams won't be back in '16. Either trade Wheaton for a decent OT or draft an OT in '16 somewhere in the first 3 rounds.

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

This is the reason why it doesn't matter who is blocking for Brady:

Brady's 80.58 percent rate of passes within 2.5 seconds of the snap leads the NFL:

6. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    whenever Pouncey has been out the various back ups have done a good job -

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't say I've noticed that much of a dropoff from having Pouncey out. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him away. But to who? Think Miami would be willing to trade to reunite the brothers? Maybe slide Mike over to guard?

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    munchak is the answer :applaud:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we will have to make a decision on foster next year. AV would need a new contract and a backup swing man would have to be signed. :cool:

10. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012

The Giants would disagree with you.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Earlier this season Wallace wasn't looking that great. Which game was it when he had two false start penalties?

I'm not down on the guy, but he's only back-up level, so maybe the standards for a "good" job goes down a bit with that. With Pouncey and his big contract, we'll naturally expect more.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh I missed it did they beat the Pats this last game ? And how did they beat them in The Superbowl's ? By playing tight man to man and taking away the quick throws ...After that they got some luck as well to pull out the win ...Their OL and DL have almost nothing to do with how well they play the Patriots.....

The Giants ran for like 80 yards . Not a winning in the trenches for sure...

The Giants had 3 sacks all of which after Brady came off his first read....Not a winning in the trenches there either.....

How they do compete is matching up outside and manning up on Gronk. They don't allow the quick release they don't allow the 1st. read pass ....This is really the only way to beat the Pats...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  13. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    In the pat's system, The first read is up to the secondary. The progressive reads are on the D-Line, which they showed produced pressure and sacks. So I'm not really following you on this. Giants more or less beat themselves in that last game.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree... Giants beat themselves in the last game. I'm not buying into the Patriots hype. I think they peaked too early... and quite possibly could be one and done in the playoffs, like in previous years when they were expected to win it all. Losing Edelman will hurt their timing on Brady's quick passes in upcoming games.

15. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know how many remember how bad our offensive line was for a few years. So, let's not start tinkering with it as soon as we can get by with said players. I'm not saying break the bank, but Wallace is a backup and nothing else. You have an All-pro center that doesn't come around often so keep him in the fold. I would actually go after his brother down in Miami to see if he would play guard in place of Foster. AJ might be the answer but we need depth all around.

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    AV is really starting to look like he could be the guy at LT for awhile. He has the size that Ben likes over there and I think he may be getting comfortable with him based on the last game.

Remember how everyone bagged on Max Starks, but he was Ben's best buddy?

17. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    AV reminds me of a lighter Marvel Smith.

18. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am of the opinion OL still matters. Right now I would keep Pouncey and I would keep Beachum and I would keep Wallace. If money becomes a factor I think Foster is the one that gets shown the door. I think Beachum's versatility has earned him a contract for the Steelers next year. The one I would definitely cut would be Adams. He has been a disappointment on multiple fronts. Injuries have not helped him but he hasn't progressed enough for me to hang onto him. I think our depth at OL is one of the things that has kept us afloat this season. That is something I don't want to see go the other way. I am not suggesting trading for Joe Thomas or giving a break the bank contract to a FA OL or someone on our line but keep the talent we have.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Drop Gilbert? I really don't like how his name keeps comes up in relation to own team injuries.

20. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'm not suggesting we move on from Pouncey but the [slight] improvement he brings at the position is costing loads of money. And I worry the injuries have affected him. Foster seems to be the least liked but I don't notice him much, which is good and he's cheap. Can Wallace handle LG when MP comes back? The LT spot going forward really depends on cost to me. Beachum was setting up for a pretty big contract and I'd rather throw that money at a FA CB if there's one we like. AV seems to be doing well. If Beach will sign a reasonable deal I'd bring them all back (except that turd from OSU) and roll with that.

21. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I do remember the false starts. when you've got 3 qbs going in/out all year I am not surprised we don't have more false starts. being healthy and ready to go when needed is a plus in my book.

22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Pouncey is an all pro, and Wallace is borderline horrendous. I wouldn't call the improvement 53 would bring us "slight" by any means.

We have similar opinions on Foster tho. He does a really nice job for the price we pay him. Gotta have guys like that on your team of you want to go places. I don't see any scenario where Wallace becomes a starting G in our offense tho. he has a much better chance of being replaced entirely.

I feel bad for Beachum. His injury definitely cost him some money. It will be tough to afford him even at the cheaper price. We have contracts coming up for Bell, Bryant, Brown, DeCastro, And Tuitt within the next couple years and we need to make sure that we can afford as many of those guys as possible. We don't have tons of cap as it is. It wouldn't surprise me if Beachum was playing for someone else next year.

Hate to break it to you, but we aren't signing a FA CB. At least not the kind you are looking for. We can't afford it. At least not if we are planning on keeping AB and Bell on the team (which we most certainly are).

Yeah we gotta cut Adams. As an OSU fan, I wasn't a huge fan of the pick at the time and it just didn't work out. He won't be around next season. Too bad. I've met the kid before and he is a really nice person. Hopefully he can get healthy and make a roster somewhere else.

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This doesn't quite add up to me. We keep our worst lineman and our two injured ones. We then get rid of a guy who has probably been one of the best RT's in the league this year, and make a salary cap move by cutting our cheapest starter?

24. Ratkomladic

Ratkomladic Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013
    i am good with Wallace and trade pouncey...

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd keep stingley possibly over adams. wallace and foster are getting up there in age and they just gave bj finney a raise which tells me they may want to keep him. bell will have to show he's still got it after the knee injury. i'm not sure he's an automatic re-signing with a huge contract just yet. this could be tricky. zek elliot anyone? :hehehe: as for pouncey and injuries, we better have a good backup in place no matter who it is.

i'd be OK with finney, hubbard, stingley, wallace as our backups. AV, beachum, pouncey, DD, gilbert as our starters. if they chose to dump gilbert too it wouldn't break my heart either way. RT's should be fairly easy to replace. :cool: