1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive line for first two picks in the draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 22, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd rather another WR that can get open, run some jet sweeps and beat a guy off the line with quickness. If they do get a TE, I hope they get rid of the overpaid one that can't block and drops balls, then that new WR can be on the field instead of two TEs. There are good THe later in this draft to go along with two good ones we have already. Samuels needs to go as well. We need to get rid of dead weight. :cool:

2. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    If Harris dropped to 24 I would have a very tough time passing on him.

I know, I know...RB, but I look at someone like Nick Chubb and say "Yeah, that's what we need."

• Like Like x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They do need a RB, Snell probably isn't a feature RB, you get Najee Harris and two good OL in the draft and the running game will be improved.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    In the division we play in and the possibility of playing
    in bad weather the last 2 months of season. Along with a shaky QB position
    it is paramount that we have a strong run game.
    Najee and a rebuilt OL would give us a chance to compete.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Good point, Etienne never had a 298-yard rushing performance or back to back 200+ yard games.

Swap college teams and you swap career paths.

6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Nick Chubb is exactly who he reminds me of

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Improved run game? It could be, but I believe as long as Ben is playing that will be harder to accomplish. Until he can stretch the field out and throw down field, if I were the DC, I'd crowd the line with everyone I could and clog the holes and bat passes down. Just like the end of last year. We were dinking and dunking the last half of the season for a reason. Is that reason still with us?

8. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Or if he actually called, stuck too, and or didn't audible to pass plays.....

Heard Matt Williamson yesterday on Savarn - made great point. There only stud ribs Harris, Etiene n Javonte Williams then huge drop off. OL depth in draft is pretty good. If a top ol not there and 2 or 3 or RBs there trade back 6 to 8 spots pu extra pick then draft Williams at top on 2nd on ol at 55 or trade up from 55 w extra pick from trading back etc.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I will reserve my judgment until I see Canada's offense, and see who they draft before declaring it won't work :shrug:.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yea by all accounts there are three running backs and the a steep drop off, if the Steelers wait until pick 55 in the second round all three will probably be gone. I’d generally be against a RB in the first, do you trade back and try to get one of the three a little later or just take your guy at 1.24. I hope they get it right whatever they do

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Couldn't disagree more. How do you know Snell isn't a feature back? When has he gotten the opportunity to be featured behind even a semi-competent OL and a QB who can take multiple snaps under center?

And you really didn't just say that our entire problem running the ball is because we don't have Najee Harris and 2 good linemen, did you? That's all? That's all we need? Crikey, someone needs to get this guy's resume to the organization. They need him RIGHT NOW. How did they not see this? How did the entire league not see that all is needed to improve ANY team's running game is Najee Harris and 2 good OL? I've been overthinking this whole issue. Someone tweet Aditi and let her know that we've got a guru on this board who can solve all our problems with only 3 players! We don't even have to change gameplans, preparation, or even our socks. Just Najee and 2 good OL. It's so simple, it just might work! Not.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    How dare you suggest that game planning and preparation are in ANY way related to winning or losing games. It has been made abundantly clear by the MT fan club that the only reason for the steelers ever losing a game is because of Ben Roethlisberger throwing interceptions and Pouncey's bad snaps.

13. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Oh yeah. I forgot. My bad. I meant no disrespect to MT and his staff of fine coaches who have put the best gameplans out there week in and week out and had this team laser-focused on the task at hand every game. I mean, MT's pressers alone are worth at least 7 points every game. And no one in the game has a better drawing board than Tomlin to go back to every week. I need to be more careful and considerate with my comments. Mike is doing a FABULOUS job. Has been for years. Did you know that he has never had a losing season? No, seriously. Look it up. His regular-season winning % makes him a shoo-in for the hall. And it really is all about winning games in the regular season, right? Winning playoff games is overrated because losses there are only on the players, not the coaches. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Think you read into his comment a bit too far mischaracterizing it.

So basically you two agree that having a function offensive line will work but disagree on who that feature rb is.

Imo I like Snell but he is a bit slower. I think he'd do ok as a feature back but not great. Samuels is really just a third down back and I like McFarland but he's yet to show he can be a feature back.

I am in agreement I'm not huge on taking a rb in the first round although it all depends on how the draft board turns out. I definitely think they need two capable lineman that challenge for starting positions coming out of this draft

15. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I just saw a comment saying that Najee Harris and 2 good OL would improve our running game and ran with it. I don't agree with that statement in the slightest, especially at the expense of our current RB's who, other than JC, have only been given opportunities to run behind a non-competitive line and a one-dimensional qb. And none, again other than JC, have been used as a feature back.

Now, I will agree all day long that our running game is hampered by, and will improve with, a revamped, rededicated, well-coached OL. Draft them or grab them off waivers, I don't care. But our offense's priorities should be OL, QB, TE, and WR/RB, in that order. And the WR/RB choice should be filled with the best available at the position AFTER all the other needs are filled, not a minute before. We already have WR's and RB's who can help this offense.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Talking out of your ass :facepalm:

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    If that's what it takes for you to understand, I'll let it "rip" all day. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I personally don't care what combination of linemen and running backs we draft or sign. I just dream of the day we can convert a third and 1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well if our deep threat would catch the ball we could convert those.:smiley1::cool:

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think with Ben coming back no need for a OL or a real RB.. If we are going dink and dunk we need a scat RB a receiving TE and a joystick WR to play the slot ..

• Like Like x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    News flash genius, this isn't Fichtner's dink and dunk offense :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It's still BBs dink and dunk offense until proven otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know that, Ben isn't going to run the same thing he did with Fichtner.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i fully agree on the joystick WR. kadarius toney. i don't agree on the scat back. mcfarland is already here. we could use another bigger feature back. several out there not named harris or eitienne. an all around TE is needed. luke ferrell.

najee got to run behind a blue chip OL and he won't have that here. is it the RB that will make the difference or the line or the scheme. we need that 3rd WR to do what canada's offense is capable of bringing to the table. travis ran behind a blue chip line as well in college and had a passing game to take the pressure off him. so did najee. those are things that make a RB look pretty good.

i don't think we are good enough with just DJ, claypool and washington. adding a player like toney will make the others better. they are good don't get me wrong but minus juju it straps them into heavier coverage. washington is ok but only as a 4th of the group as we have seen for 3 years. as you said a joystick type will work wonders. i'm sticking by my draft in the draft section. since 2018 teams run multiple WR sets 60% of the time. you need 3 and 4 good wrs.

yes we need a center and a tackle but the tackle isn't really an immediate need this year. dan moore and landon young are two guys that could be had later with extremely high ceilings. thats the type i'd be interseted in. those types will make your team better. stevenson, hubbard, williams, sermon, carter, mitchell are all good RB's, they don't have to be first rounders to be good or effective. offenses are a sum of all parts. good players make other good players better, and getting those players in place is the combination we should be looking at. :cool:

• Like Like x 1